Amp Stand for Vitus SS103

JayT

Oct 10, 2017
Dear friends, as you all can guess from my thread title, I have finally decided to continue sticking to Vitus for my amp!

In order to accommodate it though, I would need to move it out from my rack, and onto the floor. Obviously that's not ideal so I have been asking around for some opinions, and have shortlisted the following:

1) Critical Mass Maxxum
2) SRA Ohio Class XL + 2
3) Stacore Basic

Between the 3, does anyone have any comments? I know that it will be crazy to attempt to A/B them with an 85 kg amp, so would have to depend on the thoughts of everyone.
I am also open to other suggestions, and some friends have also asked me to consider putting them on footers, and then on to the floor. Would that approach work? Thanks in advance!

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
My friend recently took delivery of a pair of CMS Maxxum amp stands for his AF Strumento mono's. I got to hear his system when the mono's were sitting on his timber floor with no isolation & after when the Maxxum amp stands were added. After the initial settle in period of a week or two, the improvement was significant. The bass seemed to be better anchored and correctly damped, and the sound overall seemed more settled. That doesn' t mean rolled off though...when he played me good recordings, instruments were well resolved and defined & drew me into the music. I was very impressed. They seemed to remove any solid state artifice, creating a natural sound which was addictive. They're also the best looking amp stands i've seen (aside from the flagship Olympus amp stands). I now plan to use CMS isolation products when I upgrade my racks.

Also fyi, Joe Lavrencik advocates that the best solution is using both his CMS amp stands/racks and CS2 isolation feet, since the component's relatively cheap feet are the weak link between the chassis and filter. Btw, congrats on going for that deal on the SS-103. It is a great amp for sure, especially in synergy with your SL-102 pre.

Last edited:

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Hi Jay,

Thank you for considering us.

I know that it will be crazy to attempt to A/B them with an 85 kg amp, so would have to depend on the thoughts of everyone.

It is not as crazy as it may look: Two adult persons should have no problem moving 85kg amp over a small distance from platform to platform. On our side, our US distributor Aaudio Imports will be getting two Baisc platforms soon.

Cheers,

Reactions: JayT

JayT

Oct 10, 2017
Hi Jay,

Thank you for considering us.

It is not as crazy as it may look: Two adult persons should have no problem moving 85kg amp over a small distance from platform to platform. On our side, our US distributor Aaudio Imports will be getting two Baisc platforms soon.

Cheers,

That might be something for me to consider. Unfortunately I'm based in Singapore where there is currently no dealer of your fine product so would have to depend on reviews for now.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
If the active isolation solution isn't the best performing of the three, I'd have to say Houston, we have a problem. Should be interesting. As Stacore says, just do the A/B with the help of a friend.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
That might be something for me to consider. Unfortunately I'm based in Singapore where there is currently no dealer of your fine product so would have to depend on reviews for now.

Apologies Jay, for whatever reason I assumed you are in US. We of course offer 2 weeks trial time but understandably the eventual shipping cost back to us being a limiting factor here.

Cheers,

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Dear friends, as you all can guess from my thread title, I have finally decided to continue sticking to Vitus for my amp!

In order to accommodate it though, I would need to move it out from my rack, and onto the floor. Obviously that's not ideal so I have been asking around for some opinions, and have shortlisted the following:

1) Critical Mass Maxxum
2) SRA Ohio Class XL + 2
3) Stacore Basic

Between the 3, does anyone have any comments? I know that it will be crazy to attempt to A/B them with an 85 kg amp, so would have to depend on the thoughts of everyone.
I am also open to other suggestions, and some friends have also asked me to consider putting them on footers, and then on to the floor. Would that approach work? Thanks in advance!

I've had both the SRA Ohio Class XL + 2 and the Virginia Class Reference amp stands under my Lamm amps. These are made specifically for the component that will sit on them yet can be modified if you change your amp down the road. You can read about both of them (comparison) in my coverage here.

Anytime you change what a component sits on, there will be changes in resonant frequencies and likely changes in sonics. Personally I'd say forget footers as a single solution for an amp. I've tried such and yes, I heard some differences, but nothing like the improvements I hear with dedicated amp stands.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

1) Critical Mass Maxxum
2) SRA Ohio Class XL + 2
3) Stacore Basic

You should also PM Jazzhead. He has a fantastic system with marten II and Vitus 101. He experiments a lot with ancillary equipment as that is his OCD.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

1) Critical Mass Maxxum
2) SRA Ohio Class XL + 2
3) Stacore Basic

Frankly you won’t go wrong with any of these platforms, all 3 will give you ample isolation and great sound but there will be differences in the bass from each platform. None are bad and how much that matters depends on your system’s resolution but all will be better that having the amp sit on the floor.

david

Reactions: JayT and tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing