Amir's CES 2016 day one mini-blog

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So here is a quick report before I run to another fun day of listening to music.

My initial plan yesterday was to go and see the main hall. I did that indeed. Arrived there and the first booth was the massive LG with beautiful pictures on OLED displays. Pull up my camera, turn it on and to my horror. Nothing showed up on the LCD!!! And it hit me then: I forgot to take the battery out of its charger in the hotel room and put it in the camera. Here I am feeling totally naked.

Then I remembered that Canon always has a large booth. I work my way through it and see some of the exhibits along the way. I go the counter where the DSLRs are shown and I flash my 5DsR and new lens in front of as if to say, "I am one of your good customers" and ask if there is any place I can buy a battery, hoping he would say, "oh here, you can borrow one of ours." Instead the guy asks, "what do you want???" I explained the situation again and how desperate I am. With the coldest reaction as to say get lost he says he has heard there is a camera store near the convention center but he has no idea where it is. And showed me the virtual door to leave the counter :(.

So I jump on my plan B. Call an Uber ride to take me back to the hotel. Well, the guy made me wait 45 minutes as he struggled to find where I was and eventually cancelled the ride and hung up on me :(. So I walk a mile down to the official location and there is a line of rides waiting together with an Usher employee. Try as we might, no matter how many times I requested a ride, it would tell me to wait for someone to drive there!!! Anyway, eventually I got hooked up with one of the drivers and she took me to the hotel. By then it was around 1:30. So I thought it may work out better if I go the Venetian and that is what I did.

I decided to start at the top floor and go down. I go to 35th floor and was shocked at how empty it was. Both from the number of companies there and foot traffic. I would walk in a suite and have the place to myself. This allowed a number of in-depth discussions with industry people, one of which went on for an hour after closing time!

The highlight of day one by far was the suite by our friends and members, Believe High Fidelity:

And all digital system that had to die for dynamics and warm and wonderful sound. It was a shocking contrast to everything else I had heard that day.

Another good sound was in the Lam + Kharma system (the larger loudspeaker).

The first suite I visited was Mofi. Found a strange situation where they had the TAD speakers far wider than distance to seating position. Made for pretty disjointed albeit, pleasant experience.

Heard a nice little system at April Sound. Warm but with lots of detail.

The guys at Chord were very nice to hand me an Apple ipad and let me browse and play. I wish more people would do this.

Already reported on the Constellation and Martin Logan Neolith here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...th-at-CES-2016&p=367671&viewfull=1#post367671

Had a wonderful visit to the designer of Audio Alchemy and Constellation. If you are looking for excellent sound at reasonable prices that take so little space, the Audio Alchemy should be on your short list. Yes class D amp and all that but wonderful way it drove TAD loudspeakers.

This is it for now guys. Have to run to catch the show start time at the Venetian. Leave you with this pretty industrial design:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Love the Chord DAVE shot!

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Advice for Day 2:

As you leave your room in the morning, turn around and take a picture of it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As for getting around, one year it was so bad that I went to the Hertz counter in the hotel (cheaper than at the airport) and just rented the cheapest car they had. Swoosh. Bonus is I get to go and eat off-strip where things are also more affordable and delicious too. That sort of offsets the cab vs rental costs. In the end the extra few bill is worth the potential aggravation.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Other than the grief at the convention center, Uber has been excellent. Just got a 30 minute ride from Venetian to my hotel in a super nice Toyota Highlander for just $11. Finding parking is super hard around here. So rental car is not something I have ever considered using in Vegas. One year I had one and left it in the hotel parking lot the whole time.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Advice for Day 2:

As you leave your room in the morning, turn around and take a picture of it.
If I were smart enough to think of that, I would not have forgotten to take the battery with me.

This morning I checked and double checked everything. Go to the elevator and think one more time and realize I had left my badge behind. Thankfully that didn't cost me much time but imagine going half hour to the show and then having to come back to get the badge and go there again!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I also rent a car. Every year at CES I hear all the cab line horror stories, and I'm happy to avoid them :)
Sure, parking in the Venetian/Palazzo structure is hard, specially when you come back after lunch in the afternoon. But it's doable, and there's plenty of hotels around, within walking distance, with plenty of parking too.
I haven't done the math if it's cheaper than Uber/taxis, but it surely seems to be the lesser of two evils...
And I'm on Jack's camp as well with the "food options" thing :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing