Amazon becomes the Second Trillion Dollar Company

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I can appreciate the genius of all of history's robber barons. They did it on the backs of many unknown others of far less stature, but their actions enhanced the lives of many more. That goes for Bezos and the rest of those who follow the likes of Edison, Melon, Rockefeller, and others, but I wonder about the longterm damage the current lot of them may be causing in this technological age.

Then again, I do like to buy stuff from Amazon, so I can't point a finger with too much commitment.

Steve Williams

I can appreciate the genius of all of history's robber barons. They did it on the backs of many unknown others of far less stature, but their actions enhanced the lives of many more. That goes for Bezos and the rest of those who follow the likes of Edison, Melon, Rockefeller, and others, but I wonder about the longterm damage the current lot of them may be causing in this technological age.

Then again, I do like to buy stuff from Amazon, so I can't point a finger with too much commitment.

How true but we'd all be lost without Alexa and Amazon Prime

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You have an Alexa?

What I really want to ask is, were you so surprised you made the post, Steve? I was not expecting anyone else to shoot past Amazon and take second place.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Valued at more than 80 times forward earnings......sounds like fuzzy math to me in the long run. Apple is a more realistic Trillion dollar company, imo....at least for now.

Steve Williams

Valued at more than 80 times forward earnings......sounds like fuzzy math to me in the long run. Apple is a more realistic Trillion dollar company, imo....at least for now.

I recall several years ago when Apple did a 7:1 split in their stock.I recall at the time that the stock was valued at about $880 per share and after the split the stock started at $111/share

As I look today Apple shares have more than doubled in that time and are now trading at almost $228/share. They hit $1 Trillion somewhere around $203/share. They are like the Duracell bunny. They just keep on going

I have owned a lot of Apple shares for well over 20 years and I am almost embarrassed to say what price I purchased them for. I'm a happy camper

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Stock buybacks distort value and profits. The same thing happed in the 1920's, the manipulators formed "pools". One day they pulled their bids and people at the time witnessed a 'bidless market". The rest is history.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Stock buybacks distort value and profits. The same thing happed in the 1920's, the manipulators formed "pools". One day they pulled their bids and people at the time witnessed a 'bidless market". The rest is history.

This is a great point missed or convently ignored when discussing the current stock market. They have spent profits and tax windfalls on stock by backs and not on innovation or capital.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Stock buybacks distort value and profits . . .

What do you mean by this? Far from being a distortion a stock buyback yields a very simple and predictable arithmetic result.

A stock buyback is one of the several uses to which a company can puts its free cash or encumbered cash. A buyback is evaluated by a company as an investment using standard return on investment analysis.

A successful widget company can build another widget factory, buy a competing widget company, dividend cash to shareholders, start another line of business or buy back its own shares. These are alternative uses of retained earnings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing