Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I e-mailed them last night.

There is no US dealer/distributor. If you want to hear them, then you can in Valencia, Spain, in their showrooms.

Another option is next years Hi-Fi Deluxe in Munich.

So pretty limited options for someone in the UK or the US.

Enigmatically limited at present, then. Easy to make a legend of. Will they survive at those prices, though, with such limited marketing?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Planars are just so much better than boxes. Did I read someone was complaining about an $80k price tag?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Planars are just so much better than boxes. Did I read someone was complaining about an $80k price tag?

what I said was "missing weight of images for $80k"........as the ante increases so does expectations. I also said "but i'd need to spend more time to get a better handle".

hey, it sounds 'like a planar'. that's my perception of how they sound based on my limited exposure. my experience is that 'musical magic for the dollar' a planar is hard to beat. but there are certainly 'but's'.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
what I said was "missing weight of images for $80k"........as the ante increases so does expectations. I also said "but i'd need to spend more time to get a better handle".

hey, it sounds 'like a planar'. that's my perception of how they sound based on my limited exposure. my experience is that 'musical magic for the dollar' a planar is hard to beat. but there are certainly 'but's'.
Sense as always , as they say here .. Guru !

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
One of the challenges I had when I had the Maggies, was the 7" tall cellos and violins... How did the size of the instrument imaging work on then?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sounding like a planar, without getting into semantics, is a compliment. Sounding like a box...that could go either way.

Last edited:

gshelley

Member Sponsor
Jan 10, 2011
Austin, TX
This room was the only room that drew me back for additional listening. They really sounded quite nice.

Reactions: KLH007

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

Maybe Cessaro should not be on the heading of this thread. It is already a non contender crappy sounding horn by most :D.

Tang
I wouldn't worry too much about the list Tang, Sonus Faber was left conspicuously off it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mike-I hope it was obvious I am conducting I campaign in favor of planars. That is as oppsed to stating any absolute doctrine. The costf of making an inert box can represent a very steep curve. In respect to the claim planars make "seven" foot voices, I find a line source does an excellent job of constructing images and soundstage. BTW it has been argued that cone speakers cannot recreate height. Nothing is perfect.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well, cellos and violins are not 7" tall in Soundlab's ... They are not pinpoint like mini monitors, and if poorly set-up can easily sound bigger than life, but they sound great in chamber music.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Mike-I hope it was obvious I am conducting I campaign in favor of planars. That is as oppsed to stating any absolute doctrine. The costf of making an inert box can represent a very steep curve. In respect to the claim planars make "seven" foot voices, I find a line source does an excellent job of constructing images and soundstage. BTW it has been argued that cone speakers cannot recreate height. Nothing is perfect.

Height is as add on in stereo reproduction. Although we can easily manipulate the perceived height of the sound image, differential height (instruments and voices having different height is a very polemic subject) . Many people associate these differences to the heights of different units in speakers - this only happens when there is a poor integration due to bad design or set-up. In order to debate height we have first to analyze how humans perceive height of a sound source.

I remember we had a great thread on this subject some years ago!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Well, cellos and violins are not 7" tall in Soundlab's ... They are not pinpoint like mini monitors, and if poorly set-up can easily sound bigger than life, but they sound great in chamber music.

They shouldn't be pinpoint.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
For me too.
For me three... if mine did this I’d not accept it... but I’ve still got them. Over the years I’ve heard such large variability in setups between Maggie systems. A good friend who has had virtually every iteration since well forever often likens them to scalpels the way they cut through to what’s happening in your system and reveal the smallest of changes in setup.

For guys like you Al and Peter that enjoy optimising they would respond exactly as you set them up. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not claiming they are perfect but the mentioned issue of overscale images is a problem of system rather than inherent in the speakers... mine scale and image beautifully, and in terms of sonics are very faithful. They certainly won’t hide problems though so the issue for me is that unlike my Harbeth 40.2s they don’t really show their best unless you’ve set them up exactly.

Reactions: Al M. and bonzo75

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The only time I've had 7' violins was with Bose 901's and their ilk... Impressive-sounding, but the image was a disaster.

Panels act like line sources above their bass transition frequency, thus over most of the upper bass/lower midrange and up, so imaging should be fine. Arguably better than boxes since vertical dispersion is not such a problem, and they radiate little from the sides and top/bottom so are less sensitive to sidewall and floor/ceiling reflections. If not, I would suspect the room and speaker placement. One point where I diverge from many is that I tend to heavily dampen the wall behind planer dipoles. That sacrifices some "spaciousness" by killing the back wave but provides much more precise imaging. Space then comes more from the recording than the room. It's a personal thing. The few times I have had a nice large room from my Maggies, and could them them well away from the wall behind, I found much less if any rear treatment was needed. Alas, that has not been the case for a while (and I am not running Maggies now but conventional boxy boxes but they still sound OK to me).

Reactions: c1ferrari

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
(") denotes inches. (') denotes feet.
IMO poor height was the the result of poor dispersion tweeters and mid range drivers. As speeakers improved so did their ability to "produce height.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing