Alexx Review

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is a wonderful review! Congratulations to Wilson Audio!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
"The Alexx is a milestone loudspeaker for Wilson Audio in many ways."

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/wilson-audio-specialties-alexx-loudspeaker/

Thanks for pointing. Plenty of new information there, I was particularly interested to read about the W material

This is a phenolic resin in which thin sheets of a titanium-aluminum alloy are embedded in the resin an eighth of an inch apart. The WAMM makes extensive use of this exotic material; in the Alexx it appears in the adjustment track-bed for the upper-midrange driver. This plate of W-Material is painted silver no matter what color cabinet you choose (it’s only visible from the back).

However, considering the ending comment, I feel that that in a large room the Allex has better speed and transient fidelity in the bass than the XLF but does not equal its tremendous power, weight, and extension. Just MHO, YMMV.

BTW, the Constellation Audio electronics RH used in the review (Hercules/Altair) are really a great match with big Wilson speakers.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexx-loudspeaker-measurements

Additional measurement info of Alexx. Impedance and phase angle are punishing for amps. I doubt whether they are suitable for large room. The comments section is also very informative.
I know this is an older thread but wanted to weigh in with first hand experience to the comments about being suitable for large rooms ... I’ve heard them in a 24X36 sound amazing driven either by Momentum or Boulder Mono amps. I am an Alexx owner and while my room is a bit smaller at 20x24 I am able to drive them really well with the Mark Levinson No536 mono amps. So my take is they sound great in larger rooms as long as the amps are comfortable in the lower impedance ranges that Alexx lives at.

George

Reactions: oldmustang and XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing