Akai 208D-SS static

shade23

Feb 17, 2022
I just purchased a beautiful Akai 208D-SS Quad reel to reel along with a Pioneer QX-9900 Quad receiver. When first turned on they play beautiful but after a few minutes I get static through one speaker and lose almost all volume and the #2 VU meter gets erratic. I cleaned both with DeoxIT D5 and thought the problem was fixed. I cleaned everything again and after sitting they play beautiful but after a few minutes the same thing happens all over again. Could it be a capacitor? I don't want to spend a fortune but both are in excellent shape.
Thank You!!

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
I have experienced something similar in the past and the cause was indeed a capacitor.

Reactions: shade23
Mar 1, 2022
That problem on that deck (with near certainty) is: the micro relay to switch the head tracks in reverse mode has oxidized contacts on it. It is mounted on a small circuit board behind the 2/4 stereo selector switch and has an accompanying 25v 47uF capacitor as well as (if I remember correctly? --- because I worked on a GX-280DSS in 2002 I'd found in rough shape but then salvaged the glass heads from it for another machine) a general purpose 1N4004 diode on it.

The cover of the relay might be held on with just old cellophane tape, so peeling that off will reveal the contacts. However, if you get into the work that much: change the capacitor and the diode while at it.

shade23

Feb 17, 2022
That problem on that deck (with near certainty) is: the micro relay to switch the head tracks in reverse mode has oxidized contacts on it. It is mounted on a small circuit board behind the 2/4 stereo selector switch and has an accompanying 25v 47uF capacitor as well as (if I remember correctly? --- because I worked on a GX-280DSS in 2002 I'd found in rough shape but then salvaged the glass heads from it for another machine) a general purpose 1N4004 diode on it.

The cover of the relay might be held on with just old cellophane tape, so peeling that off will reveal the contacts. However, if you get into the work that much: change the capacitor and the diode while at it.
Thank you, this has been a fun project and am learning a lot. I will look into the micro relay today. Thanks again!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing