Aesthetix Io Users Group

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Can someone please link the specific product numbers or name for Deoxit, Flitz, and Kontak? looking at the various versions and I want to be sure I get the right ones. Thank you.

I don't use Kontak but use

Caig deoxit D5 for non precious metal https://www.partsconnexion.com/CAIG-67190.html
Caig deoxit gold for precious metal https://www.partsconnexion.com/CAIG-67194.html

You must use these Caig product very sparingly!

Flitz for AC power blades polishing only https://www.flitz.com/flitz-polish-paste/

Fiberglass pencil for tube pins https://www.cooltools.us/Scratch-Brush-Pen-Style-Fiberglass-p/brn-207.htm

Yamaha made in Japan polishing cloth for pins ( this is highly effective- only this type):

https://reverb.com/ca/item/35253920...Vx2T4XBMTDw5tPUwNxDFC4sZLXi6oxMxoC8yEQAvD_BwE

After cleaning tube pins with fiberglass pencil and or polishing cloth you must clean the pin/ connectors with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Cleaning is just not for tube pins but for RCA connectors and XLR connectors inside and out. I use slender cotton swabs to get into IEC and RCA/XLR female jacks. Small pipe cleaners as well.

I do not spray or use any contact enhancers on tube sockets.. I only clean them with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Reactions: mtemur

redcars

Jan 7, 2015
Minneapolis area
Hi Guys,

I’d like to add at least one entry in this thread.

I purchased my Io with volume controls in 2000 and added a second power supply shortly afterward. This fall it was upgraded to (partial) Eclipse status and a second phono input added. Carl Jerritts at Apex Audio helped me with many details. Of course Glenn and Jim did as well.

Recently I had what turned out to be a tube problem, but I did not recognize it at the time. Jim phoned me three times over the Labor Day holiday with tips on sorting the problem.

Such customer support is exemplary and deserves every bit of praise these guys receive and deserve!

The Eclipse is spectacular! It lost nothing to the Signature, and gained so much.

My setup:

2020-03-20 14.30.37_cr.jpg

The Eclipse control unit and both power supplies are sitting on Takio Audio Daiza platforms.

The control unit is using Symposium double Rollerblocks, and the two power supplies use BDR #4 cones.

I previously had a Symposium Ultra shelf under the control unit & Rollerblocks, and the Diaza gives a more natural sound!

On top of the control unit I presently have two modified Herbie’s SuperSonic Stabilizers (a mouthful), lightened, and sitting on two 5/8” diameter pieces of the Herbies rubber isolators that come with the discs.

Herbie's.jpg
The two power supplies each have one stock Herbie’s (shown on left) with no rubber underneath.

I have replaced the tubes in V1-V6 of the control unit with Telefunken matched pairs (V1 & V2), and Mazda Gray Tops in V3-V6. I have Herbie’s tube dampers on the Mazdas, but the Telefunkens neither need or like them.

I tried a number of 6922s in V7, but ended up with the Eclipse supplied Electro Harmonix tubes sounding best.

Jim left the original, 20 year old 12AX7s in my power supplies, saying that they were better than what he had today!

The EL34s in the power supplies and the 6922s in the control unit (V7) are recommended for replacement in 3-5 years. (They can last up to 20 years, but the sound degrades)

I am using Synergistic Research fuses in most of my equipment, and had used them on the circuit boards of the Io Signature, but I have been unable to make a SR fuse sound good in the Eclipse. I even ran some on the Cable Cooker and they bombed as well. Fortunately, there is no need for them in my Io at this time.

I have Clearaudio cartridges, so there is lots of quiet output, especially important with my Avantgarde Trio horns.

Best,
Don

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You should send us some videos with your trios playing large classical

Reactions: audioquest4life

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Hi Guys,

I’d like to add at least one entry in this thread.

I purchased my Io with volume controls in 2000 and added a second power supply shortly afterward. This fall it was upgraded to (partial) Eclipse status and a second phono input added. Carl Jerritts at Apex Audio helped me with many details. Of course Glenn and Jim did as well.

Recently I had what turned out to be a tube problem, but I did not recognize it at the time. Jim phoned me three times over the Labor Day holiday with tips on sorting the problem.

Such customer support is exemplary and deserves every bit of praise these guys receive and deserve!

The Eclipse is spectacular! It lost nothing to the Signature, and gained so much.

I have replaced the tubes in V1-V6 of the control unit with Telefunken matched pairs (V1 & V2), and Mazda Gray Tops in V3-V6. I have Herbie’s tube dampers on the Mazdas, but the Telefunkens neither need or like them.

I tried a number of 6922s in V7, but ended up with the Eclipse supplied Electro Harmonix tubes sounding best.

Jim left the original, 20 year old 12AX7s in my power supplies, saying that they were better than what he had today!

The EL34s in the power supplies and the 6922s in the control unit (V7) are recommended for replacement in 3-5 years. (They can last up to 20 years, but the sound degrades)

I am using Synergistic Research fuses in most of my equipment, and had used them on the circuit boards of the Io Signature, but I have been unable to make a SR fuse sound good in the Eclipse. I even ran some on the Cable Cooker and they bombed as well. Fortunately, there is no need for them in my Io at this time.

I have Clearaudio cartridges, so there is lots of quiet output, especially important with my Avantgarde Trio horns.

Best,
Don
Nice setup. I am getting ready to do the partial Eclipse as well but realized I have a real estate problem.

My Copulare custom made rack from Germany only has 4 shelves. Currently use two for IO (power supply on bottom, control unit next), one for McIntosh SACD player, and one for Octave Jubilee preamp. I could either use a spare amp stand and cram it somewhere close for the extra power supply, or kick the SACD to the amp stand, but then it’s ground level, and place the other IO power supply in its place. I have about 13inches between shelves with approximately 8 inches between components after being stacked. Decisions!

I am contemplating ordering some Telefunkens for V1 and V2 while I wait to send off IO. Do you happen to recall what the stock IO tubes are from the factory are for each component?

Reactions: Lagonda

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone ever experimented with active isolation (Vibraplane pneumatic type or Herzan piezoelectric type) under the Io control unit?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Nice setup. I am getting ready to do the partial Eclipse as well but realized I have a real estate problem.

My Copulare custom made rack from Germany only has 4 shelves. Currently use two for IO (power supply on bottom, control unit next), one for McIntosh SACD player, and one for Octave Jubilee preamp. I could either use a spare amp stand and cram it somewhere close for the extra power supply, or kick the SACD to the amp stand, but then it’s ground level, and place the other IO power supply in its place. I have about 13inches between shelves with approximately 8 inches between components after being stacked. Decisions!

I am contemplating ordering some Telefunkens for V1 and V2 while I wait to send off IO. Do you happen to recall what the stock IO tubes are from the factory are for each component?
It’s simple, just eliminate the digital source, like me, you probably don’t use it much anyway ;) And you don’t even have it listed !

Last edited:

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
It’s simple, just eliminate the digital source, like me, you probably don’t use it much anyway ;)
LOL...that’s the truth for sure. You just gave me an idea though. When I had the room built I sort of future proofed it as I ran 75 feet of XLR from the AV tech room (it’s a completely separate circuit and AV specific for the home theater system which is inside the listening room) to the analog source location with a punch out spot on the wall with all of the bells and whistle connections, CAT6, XLR, RCA, HDMI, and cable. This could work. Now you are helping me to lay out an expenditure earlier than I thought. Thanks, haha. :)

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
LOL...that’s the truth for sure. You just gave me an idea though. When I had the room built I sort of future proofed it as I ran 75 feet of XLR from the AV tech room (it’s a completely separate circuit and AV specific for the home theater system which is inside the listening room) to the analog source location with a punch out spot on the wall with all of the bells and whistle connections, CAT6, XLR, RCA, HDMI, and cable. This could work. Now you are helping me to lay out an expenditure earlier than I thought. Thanks, haha. :)
Last time i used digital i only had a spare 10 m IC, and i did not really care :rolleyes:

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Has anyone ever experimented with active isolation (Vibraplane pneumatic type or Herzan piezoelectric type) under the Io control unit?
I have not...in fact, at least for me, the jury is still out on the use of the Isoacoustics under my components. I am still experimenting with the isolators.

Active isolation seems to be the ultimate in vibration control. I am not sure, but it could turn into a slippery slope as some components you get used to what it can do and become more OCD about any micro movement which may not have any negative or perceived influence on sound quality. Then your at it again, adding more damping here and there to make sure the base of the active isolation on which it sits is stable before you even place the device on top of the active isolation. I don’t recall seeing any at the last audio show I attended, CAF 2019.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area

Per the Aesthetix web site under "Support" :: First gain stage 12AX7LP, 12AX7 or E83CCS (LP is referring to Sovtek 12AX7 which have LP and LPS variants).
For more info:
http://aesthetix.net/docs/Aesthetix Io Tube Placement.pdf?aac_mobile=no
http://aesthetix.net/docs/Aesthetix Io Owners Manual.pdf?aac_mobile=no

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Per the Aesthetix web site under "Support" :: First gain stage 12AX7LP, 12AX7 or E83CCS (LP is referring to Sovtek 12AX7 which have LP and LPS variants).
For more info:
http://aesthetix.net/docs/Aesthetix Io Tube Placement.pdf?aac_mobile=no
http://aesthetix.net/docs/Aesthetix Io Owners Manual.pdf?aac_mobile=no
Thank you. I am using the LPS in the first gain stage and LP in the second. I looked for Sovtek 12AX7 LP last night and can’t find any on the web. Did they stop making the Sovtek 12AX7 LP and replace it with something else? I am about to order a slew of tubes.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
Thank you. I am using the LPS in the first gain stage and LP in the second. I looked for Sovtek 12AX7 LP last night and can’t find any on the web. Did they stop making the Sovtek 12AX7 LP and replace it with something else? I am about to order a slew of tubes.

A quick Google search shows vendors for Sovtek 12AX7LP and Sovtek 12AX7LPS.
You can always give Glenn at Aesthetix a call, he can let you know the latest thinking and options.
Aesthetix also sells tube sets that have been tested and selected for their respective position. A little more expensive, a lot less hassle.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Gold Lion 12AX7 update:

BLUF: Go online and order yourself a balanced, matched, low microphonic set right now and experiment in V1 and V2. They are worthy in this position provided your other tubes are low noise in V3 and V4. Let me explain.

1. GL 12AX7 in V1 and V2 replacing Sovtek 12AX7 LPS. Organic sounding with bloom and more definition on cymbals...well, more precise splash of cymbals....but, and there is always a but...the tube rush was very high In between tracks. I felt that there was still potential. Test track was Robin Trower Bridges of Sigh.

2. Moved the GLs to V3 and V4 replacing Sovtek 12AX7 LP and moved the Sovtek 12AX7 LPS back into V1 and. V2. Nope. The sound was less organic, and sterile sounding, like it became constrained. On to next test.

3. Moved the GLs to V5 and V6 replacing the EH 12AX7s. Less sterile sounding and somewhat organic but not very musical to me...lack of spacious bloom. In V1 and V2, bloom and spaciousness was present, so I knew it had potential. Next test.

4. Placed the GL 12AX7 back into V1 and V2 and swapped out the Sovtek 12AX7 LP in V3 and V4 with Sovtek 12AX7 LPS. Fired up and holy cow. Way less tube rush between tracks and lots of air, bloom, and spaciousness. I would say quiet for tubes. The sound I heard in test 1 was there but even more so, with minimal tube rush, and clear and enchanting music emanating from the speakers. Voicing was even more realistic and bass was noticeably better with deep thunderous crashes when called for.

Overall, these four Things stand out; 1. More bloom and holography, the feeling of a recorded venue and space comes to mind, 2. Bass, taught and deep when called for and drum beats easily traced when panned left to right or right to left, 3. Voices so real and emerging from spaces on a stage and eery uncanny realism, 4. Brass, guitars, and cymbals all have a palpable realism when played. Outstanding splash on cymbals.

For this last test round I played Robin Trower Bridges of Sigh, Sade Sweetest Taboo, and Al Dimeola Project Soaring Through a Dream. Al Dimeola and Sade almost put me to sleep. On the Al Dimeola album, the songs Traces of a Tear and Ballad really showcase how these tubes, and perhaps my system overall, convey beautiful music. I mean when I heard the birds and crickets in one of the songs so clearly I know the GLs were special. Now, they might be something too much for others as they are slightly mid range peaky, at least for now being new. But, GLs overall settle down and normally have a wide but balanced frequency spectrum. Hence, my use in my McIntosh MC2301s. Sades voice is so haunting and easy going that any libations and your comfy listening chair, I imagine one falling asleep listening to her.

i must say that my previous speaker, B&W Nautilus 800s never let me hear inside the music as I do now with the Classic Audio Loudspekers T1.5. Reference. It almost makes me question even doing an upgrade to the IO as it sounds so awesome as is. I have friends coming over for listening sessions for hours on end now, LOL. I guess the secret sauce is matching the tubes properly as well as your system.

Just exactly how much more heat does a second power supply add? It’s already shorts and tank top weather in here, haha.

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
So nice to know the work pays off. The Io is such a great component. So tune-able. Not easy, but I bet once you get the routine down it bonds you more to the component. .

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
So nice to know the work pays off. The Io is such a great component. So tune-able. Not easy, but I bet once you get the routine down it bonds you more to the component. .
Heck yeah. Glad we have a community to share details of our experiences.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Hi there - here is some info, from testing direct LP playback through the Io, vs digital streaming of the same album. Hope you find something useful.

Testing Aesthetix Io vs my new Teac NT-505 streamer/dac

Testing two variants of the same album, Maren Selvaag: Bare være. Excellent new Norwegian piano and instruments recording. Useful for testing what a modern recording says of analog / digital differences.

LP version (original, first print) vs Tidal version (streaming through the Teac NT-505).

LP version: I doubt if this is AAA (pure analog) recording. I guess it is 92 x 24 bits pcm or similar. It does not say, on the LP.

Tidal version: this is not (yet) a master recording on Tidal. The Teac tells me that the recording is standard CD format – 44 x 16 bits.

Test result, playing the album, first song, Vigilien:

The LP is better, although the Teac narrows the gap. Playing directly from the LP, through the Io, I hear more tone color, more of the harmonies, more of the interplay between the musicians, compared to the Tidal stream. The main instrument (piano) sounds even more imposing. There is no doubt, this is still the best – in my system.

Still, the Teac does very well, on some accounts especially. The stream version is very nice and listenable, it doesn’t harm my ears. I don’t hear much digital glare. The effect, rather, is that the music is somewhat more closed in, a bit like a tunnel, or with a glove – compared to the LP. Note that the Teac has only played 30 hours, it may need more break-in, to come out fighting, so to speak.

I’ve read so much good stuff about the Teac that my expectations were maybe too high. This is not top of the digital art, but a good mid-level player and dac. It does not dethrone the analog chain, in my system – rather, it helps me identify plusses and minuses with each chain. If analog still reigns, on top of the mountain, the digital troops have advanced, so to speak, saying “me too” – I am better than I was ten years ago. This is true – digital often sounds much better – and the Teac clearly shows it.

The Teac does a bit of upsampling of pcm format input, by default, and I have not experimented much with the filters – my first impression is, these are only subtle changes. Digital remains digital, and the gap up to analog remains, although the Teac makes it smaller.

My DSD “vinyl rips” (400 albums by now, recorded on a Tascam DA-3000) sound fine through the Teac, through ethernet, from a home network disk. This is very good, since it was a main consideration for me, buying the Teac. My first impression is: my vinyl rips are better than the streaming. Inclusion of the Aesthetix Io, as well as a good cartridge, clearly plays a role. I have not investigated fully. A preliminary ranking is level 1 direct analog, level 2 dsd recordings incl my vinyl rips, level 3 all else. Very generally speaking. Sometimes, a recording on a lower format may sound great, nevertheless. The CD format recording of Selvaag, on Tidal, is an example (an even better example of CD sound brought to "max" is Dr John plays the Duke, on CD).

I wish the Teac – or the Lumin software / Teac streamer for controlling it, had an option for turning down pcm and streaming volume compared to dsd files that have much lower volume. A play list going from a low volume dsd file to a standard streaming file can crash the system unless you turn down the volume control.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Io volume mix and match

The above test was made with the preamp volume at ca 11 o'clock, which is supposed to be "unity gain" according to Atkinsons measures of the Einstein The tube mk2, in Stereophile. This is ca where I like the sound best, from the preamp. The Io takes much of the load. It is turned up to ca 4 pm or 16 o'clock, on the Io volume controls. I have experiemented with Io between 2 or 6 pm, and the Einstein volume - what sounds best. More Io volume means better sound, in terms of tonal color and richness, while more Einstein volume is thinner and harder but maybe also more precise. With volume controls on both units, I can find the best balance - and this is very important, in my experience. Or at least, a luxury. If I turn the Io part of the total gain too high, I get too much murk and tube noise. If I turn the Einstein too high, the sound becomes too lean and even solid-state (due to the s-state power in the Einstein, I think). "Clangy" is a term used by Michael Fremer, in the review of the Einstein. It has a bit of s-state sound, along with a very wide frequency spectrum and heavy "muscle". Io right into the amps sounds anemic and ghostly, compared to the sound through the Einstein, in my system. The preamp clearly does the job, although with a few minuses. Fremer wrote about a slight "honey" veil over the music. I don't hear much of this, especially, when I let the Io do much of the job, so the preamp is turned (relatively) a bit down, while the phono is turned up. I have not systematically tested what the Io sounds like, on 100 percent volume, but my impression is, it sounds better a bit lower, like 80 percent or ca 16 o'clock on the volume controls.

Reactions: audioquest4life

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Interesting observations. In a post on audiogon, Albert discusses comments from Jim at Aesthetix that speaker efficiency can tip the favor to Io plus preamp. Of course there are other factors. My Io Signature is an older unit with out volume control. I am using the output resistors in the second position. My preamp is a Spectral DMC 30SS v.2.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/aesthetix-question

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing