Advice for a new sub

Mar 16, 2017
Hi first time poster...

I am looking to add a sub to my speaker and amp setup I have currently, and hoping for advice on which to look into more. Im looking for a little extra boom at the lower end for my movies while not sacrificing quality while listening to my vinyls. My room is about 13x20.

Current setup is TT>Rega Brio>Dynaudio Emit

Trying to decide between:

REL T5
SVS SB-2000
Velodyne impact 12"
BK xxls400

Are there others I should look at? Which are the favorites of the above? Anything else I'm missing? I need something that will be ok with my Rega (power, speaker line, etc)

Thanks

treitz3

Super Moderator
Rythmik subs (servo/sealed) would be a great contender for your consideration. I'll also be installing two in my room within the next couple of months. I just so happen to be a big fan of servo subs.

Oh, my manners. Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum.

Tom

DaveyF

Aug 1, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I own a Rel T5, it's an excellent sub...particularly if you upgrade the connecting cable. However, I think in a room of your size, matching the size of the sub and its ability is crucial. The Rel T5 would be a little too small for that space, imho. Better to consider one of the slightly larger Rel models.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Either of these (Click on the sub names to go to the Seaton Forum to see them):

Seaton F18's I have 4 of these (not 6 as in the photo), 2 in each of the front two corners, all driven by a single 4000 watt integrated amp in a Master/Slave configuration. Other amp/speaker configurations are possible.

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 8.41.50 AM.jpg

Seaton SubMersive. I have two of these, also driven by a single 4000 watt amp in a Master/Slave configuration. These are dual opposed 15's

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 8.49.10 AM.jpg

I won't say they are the best subs available but having heard (and owned) many (including some mentioned above), they are the best I have ever heard.

Oct 13, 2012
I had a SVS SB13 Ultra, SVS SB16 Ultra, SVS PB200, Martin Logan Depth I, and JL Audio F110 v2. In the context of my system/room the F110 v2 has tight articulate bass and the most musical bass to my ears. In my opinion its not even close.

About us

• Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing