About choosing woofer's output (W) for RMS, AES.

cheonmu

Nov 11, 2021
Hello.

I have a fairly vintage 15" JBL woofer units.

The specification sheet of each unit is written as follows, but...

JBL 2225H : 400W continuous program
JBL 2226H : 600W AES continuous pink noise

I didn't quite understand.

First of all, I searched google for terms such as rms, program, and continuous power, but I rarely use the term continuous program.

But by this continuous program, is it a program? Or does it mean continuous power?

If continuous program = RMS, is the 2225H 400W (RMS), 800W (Program), 1,200W (Peak) correct?

For the JBL 2226H 600W AES product below, it is difficult to accurately compare AES and RMS,

Will it be around 500rms, 1,000 (Program), or 2,400 (Peak)?

It seems too high for that

I wonder if my understanding is correct.

thank you.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello.

I have a fairly vintage 15" JBL woofer units.

The specification sheet of each unit is written as follows, but...

JBL 2225H : 400W continuous program
JBL 2226H : 600W AES continuous pink noise

I didn't quite understand.

First of all, I searched google for terms such as rms, program, and continuous power, but I rarely use the term continuous program.

But by this continuous program, is it a program? Or does it mean continuous power?

If continuous program = RMS, is the 2225H 400W (RMS), 800W (Program), 1,200W (Peak) correct?

For the JBL 2226H 600W AES product below, it is difficult to accurately compare AES and RMS,

Will it be around 500rms, 1,000 (Program), or 2,400 (Peak)?

It seems too high for that

I wonder if my understanding is correct.

thank you.
Why are you concerned over the power handling?? The 2225 has a standard JBL SFG magnet. The 2226 has a vented gap design and can handle quite a bit more power. Under home listening power levels it's simply not going to be an issue.

Rob :)

cheonmu

Nov 11, 2021
Hi Rob,

I plan to use this speaker in my shop (19.5m x 12m (2647ft²) ) XD

I'm worried about exactly what output amp I should use.

Thanks for the reply.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
The power handling differences are only going to show up when you push these woofers to their max outputs. For max power handling go for the 2226's with the vented gap cooling. The size of your amp is going to be determined by the SPL you want to play at. Both of these drivers can handle a couple of hundred watts so say 300-400 watts should be fine again maybe less depending on SPL. Don't go crazy on the power it's application specific.

You see people saying the more the better but eventually it's just added cost for no benefit.

Rob :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing