A80R - Bump noise when pressing record

Tannoyista

Jul 19, 2018
Great Britain
www.tannoyista.com
Hi all.

I have an A80R and I've not had it long. It's all been recapped and all of the RIFA caps have been replaced.

I'm getting a loudish bump noise through my speakers when I press record and then when I press stop coming out of record.

Would anyone know what this could be?

Thanks

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Did this noise happen before the re-capping?

Is the noise recorded onto the tape?

Could be the record amp muting circuit not functioning. Test and repair the circuits if needed. If you don't know how to test muting circuits, how they work or how to repair them, then you will need to take the deck to a repair shop.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This is a noise where you are turning the circuit on/off. It would be exactly the same as turning your pre-amp off before your amps. Newer audio components have a soft mute where you don't get this surge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing