A way to improve Power Factor

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I recently installed a 6 gauge "home run" line from our main panel to a dedicated outlet for audio. Connected to this outlet is a Sound Application TT7 240v power distributor. My amp, server, dac and switch power supply are connected to the TT7 and my class d speaker amps are on dedicated wall outlets.

I rented a Fluke 345 to initially measure at the panel which phase would give the best power factor measurement. The PF measured .74 and .68 on the other, which is not good. After much head scratching, I finally realized this was probably due to a small water pump station serving our neighborhood. This pump station is served by the next transformer down from the transformer that feeds our house.

I did find, however, there is an easy way to get the PF back up into the .90's which is to add a resistive load to the circuit in the form of incandescent light bulbs. So I replaced the CFL bulbs with about 300 watts of incandescent to get a PF reading of .91. Along with the PF, this improves the measured Current THD and creates a smoother Current waveform.

In initial listening tests, the SQ benefit is subtle but noticeable primarily in the form a more expansive soundstage.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I recently installed a 6 gauge "home run" line from our main panel to a dedicated outlet for audio. Connected to this outlet is a Sound Application TT7 240v power distributor. My amp, server, dac and switch power supply are connected to the TT7 and my class d speaker amps are on dedicated wall outlets.

I rented a Fluke 345 to initially measure at the panel which phase would give the best power factor measurement. The PF measured .74 and .68 on the other, which is not good. After much head scratching, I finally realized this was probably due to a small water pump station serving our neighborhood. This pump station is served by the next transformer down from the transformer that feeds our house.

I did find, however, there is an easy way to get the PF back up into the .90's which is to add a resistive load to the circuit in the form of incandescent light bulbs. So I replaced the CFL bulbs with about 300 watts of incandescent to get a PF reading of .91. Along with the PF, this improves the measured Current THD and creates a smoother Current waveform.

In initial listening tests, the SQ benefit is subtle but noticeable primarily in the form a more expansive soundstage.
This sheds a whole new light on the importance of incandescent light bulbs :cool:

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020

Is this because the two phases are out of balance, so one is robbing the other of power ? You’re just equaling it out .
Do issues like this exist on a single phase ? I have two 120 phases coming in, even though I only use one phase for audio , but both are loaded. A simple concept can be confusing ..
Thanks, glad you found an easy resistive solution!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
BTW, the MIT power products also include circuits to correct the Power Factor

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
BTW, the MIT power products also include circuits to correct the Power Factor

Is this different than Shunyata's technologies?

As a Spectral owner did you ever own MIT power products prior to Shunyata?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Shunyata definitely do not have power factor correction network.

did you read how to fix power factor in ur own link lol . i thought there is only two ways to re align the current and voltage waveforms . capacidence or indcutance . but either of these has issues as they must be in series with your amps lol .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing