A Vinyl First!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Ok in all my years of record collecting, this is a first. Got a new album, and must admit it felt a little "light." Opened it up and damn, no record. Great Q/C :confused:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bad luck must come in a group. I got a new CD a couple of days ago and it has severe drop outs in one song. Like you, this is a first for me ever.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I once got a sealed LP only to open it and find that the label was glued about 2 inches off center. In hindsight I should have kept it instead of getting my refund. I can't even remember the album and the label now except for it was some Nova-Bossa stuff.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I once got a sealed LP only to open it and find that the label was glued about 2 inches off center. In hindsight I should have kept it instead of getting my refund. I can't even remember the album and the label now except for it was some Nova-Bossa stuff.

I haven't had that happen but know of that happening to friends. Or wrong labels put on the album or the label for side 1 on both sides :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

That is frustrating. Sounds like a phone call is in order.

Rich

Oh I dropped Jason at Elusive Disc a note. Have always had great service from them as well as Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds. A while back got a 45 rpm jazz reissue with two side 1/2s and no 3/4 :( Had a new album w/in a week from Chad!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Bad luck must come in a group. I got a new CD a couple of days ago and it has severe drop outs in one song. Like you, this is a first for me ever.

Wow is it a full moon or something :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's the mystique that comes with sealed records. You don't know what's inside, or NOT inside. ;)

My worst experience is opening up a nicely packaged sealed LP by Stockfisch Records only find out that on both sides there are huge white dried lacquer marks blotted on the vinyl. Playing it yielded bad surface noise. I got it from a dealer in HK, but I decided to write Stockfisch in Germany and send them a picture of it and Mr. Pauler told me he will contact their HK dealer to give me a replacement. And he also said not to send them the defective record anymore. In one day, I got the new LP via EMS speed mail. That wiped out the bad experience instantly.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I got an LP in London pressed both sides with the same content - two sides A and no side B, not sure of the artist but could be Curiosity killed The Cat....

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't know that any of that tops my mailman folding up my LP and cramming it in my mailbox last week. I called the Postmaster to complain about the stupidity. The mailman told the postmaster he only bent it a "little bit" like somehow if that was true, it was OK. I told the postmaster that an LP is 12" tall and my mailbox is 4" tall. To take something that is 12" tall and make it "fit" into a 4" space requires a whole lot of bending. But what part of bending a package that is marked fragile in big bold letters on both sides even a "little bit" makes it acceptible?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Ok in all my years of record collecting, this is a first. Got a new album, and must admit it felt a little "light." Opened it up and damn, no record. Great Q/C :confused:

Did you look carefully? It may be one of the new series with which you get the original 12" jacket but, inside, there's only a coupon for a free download. ;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I still have a first pressing of Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells a Story LP and one side has the label of a different artisit on it. That must mean it's worth a lot right?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
When I was in high-school, I decided to buy James Bond books. I would buy one with my allowance every week or two. Then one day I pick one with excitement and find it so boring. Chapter after chapter there was no action, shooting or anything. It wasn't until I got to two thirds into the book that I realized it was an entirely different book, put in the jackets of James Bond! Felt so cheated.....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's the mystique that comes with sealed records. You don't know what's inside, or NOT inside. ;)

My worst experience is opening up a nicely packaged sealed LP by Stockfisch Records only find out that on both sides there are huge white dried lacquer marks blotted on the vinyl. Playing it yielded bad surface noise. I got it from a dealer in HK, but I decided to write Stockfisch in Germany and send them a picture of it and Mr. Pauler told me he will contact their HK dealer to give me a replacement. And he also said not to send them the defective record anymore. In one day, I got the new LP via EMS speed mail. That wiped out the bad experience instantly.

Stockfisch rules! Great sounding CDs too. You guys should get a copy of Postcards from Copenhagen. Great music AND sonics. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Did you look carefully? It may be one of the new series with which you get the original 12" jacket but, inside, there's only a coupon for a free download. ;)

Hey! I got one of those in Japan!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
When I was in high-school, I decided to buy James Bond books. I would buy one with my allowance every week or two. Then one day I pick one with excitement and find it so boring. Chapter after chapter there was no action, shooting or anything. It wasn't until I got to two thirds into the book that I realized it was an entirely different book, put in the jackets of James Bond! Felt so cheated.....

Kind of like putting Bambi on and finding Debbie Does Dallas :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That would be a happier surprise unless your kids were watching of course.
That reminds me of yet another thing! :) Disney will not use any disc replicator for their content that does any X rated material for other customers. Apparently in the days of VHS a replicator did such a mistake and such tapes were sent to Disney's customers and since then, that policy has been in place. It used to create hardship for replicators as there was so much business to be had providing discs for that industry.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That reminds me of yet another thing! :) Disney will not use any disc replicator for their content that does any X rated material for other customers. Apparently in the days of VHS a replicator did such a mistake and such tapes were sent to Disney's customers and since then, that policy has been in place. It used to create hardship for replicators as there was so much business to be had providing discs for that industry.

And the story goes that the reason VHS won out over Beta was due to the AV industry :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And the story goes that the reason VHS won out over Beta was due to the AV industry :)

By natural extension, did live streaming not DVD, kill VHS? Hahahahahaha!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing