A Not So Funny Thing Happened On The Way to the Tonearm...

Stew3859

Dec 20, 2019

So it’s the end of a gratifying evening of listening. I recently moved into a new space. A new set-up always has its challenges. It may be Audio Nervosa, but more likely OCD, but my turntable set-up has always been a bit of a moving target. My system was and remains in a basement environment. It has always been my feeling that ambient temperature and humidity have a not insignificant influence on VTF and, by extension, VTA. I have a tricked out VPI Aires II with JMW 10.5 tonearm fitted with a Transfiguration Phoenix S. The Phoenix S has a line-contact Ogura stylus which, if you’re familiar with, you know is very narrow. It is very, very sensitive to the slightest variations in VTF/VTA.

On this particular night, don’t ask me what happened. Maybe it was a static charge, but suddenly, as I went to move the arm to its rest, I lost control and it came crashing down on the LP.

Frankly, I don’t remember if I eyeballed the cantilever at this point, but I knew I had to run it through its paces to ensure I hadn’t done permanent damage. I lowered the tonearm and retreated to my seat. I heard sound, but it was distorted. I’m thinking as I painfully recall the episode, that the cantilever was present and I used a brush to clean the stylus. One more try.....arm lowered...what I witnessed next has got to be an audiophile’s worst nightmare. The arm ran across the entire LP from run in groove to deadwax. I lifted the arm and with much trepidation went to examine the tip with a lighted hand held magnifying glass. The tip was history. Gone. Anyone who has been through this or something similar, knows the awful, sinking feeling. Suffice it to say I did not sleep well. I spent half the night combing the web for a new or replacement cartridge. I knew I could have the cart re-tipped, but from what I read, I was probably looking at weeks, if not months. Making matters worse, I would soon come to learn that the designer, Seiji Yoshioka has passed and the Company has been shuttered.

As I weighed my options, a friend recommended I contact Steve Leung of VAS Audio. A visit to VAS’ website confirmed that VAS does, in fact, offer a cartridge repair and re-tipping service. I emailed Steve on Monday night. By Tuesday morning the cartridge was in his capable hands. I don’t want to reveal how quickly Steve turned the cartridge around or how much he charged, but suffice it to say that we are neither talking weeks or months. Steve was familiar with the Phoenix and had a replacement Ogura on hand.

As I write this I can confidently state that the cartridge has recaptured all its glory, if not surpassed it. Steve mentioned it would sound warmer and he wasn’t wrong. The cartridge maintains its natural characteristics, but to my ear is even more musical. Steve has encouraged me to make additional upgrades to the table including re-wiring the tonearm, polishing the unipivot and switching to a ceramic bearing. He assures me that it will elevate the table exponentially and I believe him. I plan to do these upgrades as soon as time and funds allow.

Hopefully most of those who will read this will not allow their carts to suffer a similar fate as did mine, but had I known the re-tip route would yield such stellar results, I may have done it merely because of the number of hours I already had on the stylus. For anyone with a sizable and/or valuable LP collection, if you are even thinking about the number of hours on your cartridge, I would encourage you to let Steve re-tip it. Indeed, there isn’t a repair I would not entrust to him. He is an audiophile first. He understands the emotional and financial investment you have made in your system and I, personally, would entrust him with any piece of equipment he was comfortable with repairing. My highest recommendation both personally and professionally.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am so sorry you went through this. Even when we are relaxed and careful and not stressed accidents can happen.

But I am glad that the story has a relatively happy ending.

Reactions: Al M.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Congratulations Steve hm I mean
Stew with a successful retip ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing