A must Have reels?! You choose!

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi folks, so i finally after who know how many years i dreamt about getting in to R2R world, i finally did it and bought my first R2R PLAYER
I intend to play 2 tracks 15 ips only, with no recording root for the time being, i was travel back and forth around the threads are written and gathered as much information i could -
but: i want to start with some master reels of course... and i thought i will let you guys try to choose the first 5 recording for me to buy!

so, if you guys are willing, everyone pleas choose his "best five" that he think there are a MUST have for every R2R fan.
it can be classical, jazz, and rock (i hear 80% classical 15%jazz and the rest is rock and others in my every day analog\digital life)/

ready? shoot!

oh ya... it will be very helpful if yours suggestions will be followed by a link also for buying
thanks!!!
A.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations!

What tape deck did you get?

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
thanks.
i started small..
i bought a totally "modified audiophile spec" (whats ever that mean) Revox pr99 mkII

May 25, 2010
SF Bay Area
Great to have your join the R2R'rs.

Here are some of my favorites. Four Classical and one Jazz (the last one) and from several different providers - so you get a chance to sample their wares.

Acoustic Sounds Ultra Tape - Rimsky-Korsakoff Scheherazade (Reiner CSO)
Tape Project - Arnold Overtures
UltraAnalogue (Ed Pong) - Beethoven Violin Sonata 8 (Op30_3) (Taksuko Narita)
Yarlung Sonorus (Bob Attiyeh) - Janaki Trio
International Phonograph (Jonathan Horwich) Jeremy Kahn Duets 2012 (get the direct copy of the master tape, not the production copy)

Happy listening.

Larry

Feb 8, 2015
Hi folks, so i finally after who know how many years i dreamt about getting in to R2R world, i finally did it and bought my first R2R PLAYER
I intend to play 2 tracks 15 ips only, with no recording root for the time being, i was travel back and forth around the threads are written and gathered as much information i could -
but: i want to start with some master reels of course... and i thought i will let you guys try to choose the first 5 recording for me to buy!

so, if you guys are willing, everyone pleas choose his "best five" that he think there are a MUST have for every R2R fan.
it can be classical, jazz, and rock (i hear 80% classical 15%jazz and the rest is rock and others in my every day analog\digital life)/

ready? shoot!

oh ya... it will be very helpful if yours suggestions will be followed by a link also for buying
thanks!!!
A.
A PR99 is a nice looking machine. I had considered it but decided to go with an MX5050 B2. Later I obtained an A810 and an A80. This won't be your last machine, trust me.

I'm partial to these recent tapes from Ultra Analogue:
Beethoven Violin Sonata No.3 & Sarasate Zigeunerweisen (Live in concert)
Beethoven Violin Sonata No.5 (Spring) & Brahms Hungarian Dances No. 5&6 (Live in concert)
Beethoven Violin Sonata No.8 & 2 Encore pieces. Sarasate Zapateado, Massenet Meditation (Live in concert)

Tape Project:
Arnold Overtures.
Nojima Plays Liszt.

I would like to start collecting jazz as well.

About us

• Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing