A Great Solid State $5K ~ $7K Amp

john95

Apr 17, 2018
Hi all,

I'm in the market looking for a great SS amp that would drive effectively speakers ranging from a low end Paradigm Mini Monitor V 7 ($500), Prestige 15B ($1,600) to the B&W 803 D3 ($17K) for an upgrade. I don't want a SS amp that generates too much heat as I already have a tube amp that acts like a heater in my 12' x 20' listening room. I listen to Jazz, blues, some classical, some pop rock using a Turn Table and 24/96 audio files from a computer using an old California Audio Labs Alpha DAC. I have checked some amps already like the Bryston 4B3, the Krell DUO 175, Parasound JC1 & A21. I'd appreciate your help, have a nice day.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
A devialet perhaps?
A used 200 or 400 system would do.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The Parasound is pretty good (JC1). You might want to consider the Hegel H20 as well. Very warm sounding, and doesn't get very warm. If you prefer integrated, the H360 is the one to go.

cheers,
Alex

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I've been auditioning amps at shows for 30 years. I am an exhibitor myself. 90% of SS amps suck IMO, but there are some exceptions:

1) D'agostino
2) Wells Audio
3) Merrill Audio

Wells sounds closest to tubes.

I use SET tube monoblocks myself BTW.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

john95

Apr 17, 2018
A devialet perhaps?
A used 200 or 400 system would do.

Thanks for your suggestion! Very interesting integrated amps though. I was doing some research about them and even as used ones are very expensive. I wish I could listen to them before buying. Dumping $7K ~ $10K for used amp is not that wise. I saw a used Mark Levinson 331 for $3.5K, (I don't know about if generates lots of heat since is a Class A amp) but I'm looking first into a new amp if I can find a good deal, before considering used stuff.

By the way, there is one digital amp from PS Audio the Stellar M700, it is a 350 watts into 8 Ohms, mono block, not heavy about 13 lbs each, runs cool and it is very inexpensive about $3K for the pair. Do you know about it? Someone recommended it to me. I may borrow it to take it home and see if it pass my ears test.

Last edited:

john95

Apr 17, 2018
The Parasound is pretty good (JC1). You might want to consider the Hegel H20 as well. Very warm sounding, and doesn't get very warm. If you prefer integrated, the H360 is the one to go.

cheers,
Alex
Thanks Alex, Yes, I have heard great thinks about the JC1, I had the Parasound A21 in my room and I liked some things that did right, but not enough to buy it. Did not pass my ears test. I'll give a try to those that you suggested me.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Check out Belles amps. www.powermodules.com
Highly musical amps and very well built. If you can find a Belles SA 100 it is superb, I guess his integrated as well.
The SA 100 and his VT 01 preamp are hard to beat for the price. Promise! I saw that Belles now has a new integrated amp, check it out.

john95

Apr 17, 2018
I've been auditioning amps at shows for 30 years. I am an exhibitor myself. 90% of SS amps suck IMO, but there are some exceptions:

1) D'agostino
2) Wells Audio
3) Merrill Audio

Wells sounds closest to tubes.

I use SET tube monoblocks myself BTW.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Thanks Steve! You are right, most of my jazz music sounds great in my tube amp. Of course a great singer, a good $20K Spanish classical hand made guitar with Nylon strings, a great violin, etc. sound amazing, but some times in the same album some songs or musical arrangements sound much better in a SS amp, like a good killer drummer, a great metallic sounding bass, etc. The bottom end is great in a SS amp, that nice slam of the bass is not present in a tube amp, those cymbal's extensions, those killer toms sound bigger and faster, the mid bass is more realistic, simply is there. I have heard $35K mono tube amps and are great but at that price point SS amps make great things too that even a $35K tube mono amp would not do. Don't get me wrong I love both dearly. Both do great things!
I'll take a look of those amps that you suggested me. Thank again for your valuable input.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
IME there are many great SS amps. Pass, Musical Fidelity, Constellation, too many to list. However, I can vouch for the Wells Audio Inamoratta, excellent IMO. I compared mine to a pair of Pass XA100.5 and the Wells was 98% of the highs and mids of the Pass and levels better with the bass in terms of control and articulation. Plus, the Wells doesn't run like a space heater. Definitely a bargain.

Last edited:

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

90% ?? nonsense , but your free to your opinion obviously.

I got a laugh out of your '30 years of auditioning amps', for just yesterday you only had 20 years of experience (post #13 in the Revel Salon / amp thread). You obviously age exponentially !

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I have good music using a hegel h360 to drive my salons

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Thanks Steve! You are right, most of my jazz music sounds great in my tube amp. Of course a great singer, a good $20K Spanish classical hand made guitar with Nylon strings, a great violin, etc. sound amazing, but some times in the same album some songs or musical arrangements sound much better in a SS amp, like a good killer drummer, a great metallic sounding bass, etc. The bottom end is great in a SS amp, that nice slam of the bass is not present in a tube amp, those cymbal's extensions, those killer toms sound bigger and faster, the mid bass is more realistic, simply is there. I have heard $35K mono tube amps and are great but at that price point SS amps make great things too that even a $35K tube mono amp would not do. Don't get me wrong I love both dearly. Both do great things!
I'll take a look of those amps that you suggested me. Thank again for your valuable input.

Well, if you really like tubes like I do, then you don't need to sacrifice bass control, depending on your speaker efficiency. Maybe don't give up on tubes yet.

I use a custom version of the Arte-Forma Due Volte. Google it. They sell a newer version now, but same circuit. All direct-coupled and SET. 35W per monoblock. I modded mine and rolled the tubes. You can roll the tubes and use what I use. Better bass and midrange than my modded 1000W Parasound JC-1 monoblocks!! I sold them.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
90% ?? nonsense , but your free to your opinion obviously.

I got a laugh out of your '30 years of auditioning amps', for just yesterday you only had 20 years of experience (post #13 in the Revel Salon / amp thread). You obviously age exponentially !

Typo. It's 20 years.

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
john95

I have the B&W 803D3 speakers. I live in the Phoenix area, so heat is absolutely a major consideration. My winter amp is a Pass XA-30.5.
My summer amp is a Jeff Rowland 625 (original series). Last week I changed from the Pass to the Rowland.
Both amps drive the B&Ws easily, these speakers are easier to drive than my long term (12 years) speaker, the Avalon Avatar.
I will do the series 2 upgrade to the Rowland soon, I believe it costs $2200.00.
My signal sources are Levinson 390S for redbook & HDCD. My Blue Ray, SACD & DAC are from my Oppo BDP-105D.
My preamp is the Pass XP-30.
The Rowland idles at 100 watts, the Pass idles at 200 watts. Both amps sound very good, to me.
Hope this helps...

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Well, if you really like tubes like I do, then you don't need to sacrifice bass control, depending on your speaker efficiency. Maybe don't give up on tubes yet.

I use a custom version of the Arte-Forma Due Volte. Google it. They sell a newer version now, but same circuit. All direct-coupled and SET. 35W per monoblock. I modded mine and rolled the tubes. You can roll the tubes and use what I use. Better bass and midrange than my modded 1000W Parasound JC-1 monoblocks!! I sold them.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Of all the tube amps I've heard over 30 years (yes I'm getting old) the only one that had exemplary bass quality / control were VTL Siegfrieds as dedicated bass amps for Rockport Arrakis. And the reason the bass was so good is the ability to adjust damping + gobs of power. Other than that, most yield loose bass and many don't have enough power to adequately drive speakers. Also, over the past decade or so SS amps have come along as to encroach into tube amp goodness territory (warmth, dimension, etc.) while complimenting sonics with power, bass grip and dynamics. YMMV and all that ;-)

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I’m a dealer so take this as you will, but I think Hegel makes phenomenal SS amps. As good at HFs as I’ve heard from SS with extremely high damping factor and extremely low noise. Fast and natural sounding.

john95

Apr 17, 2018
john95

I have the B&W 803D3 speakers. I live in the Phoenix area, so heat is absolutely a major consideration. My winter amp is a Pass XA-30.5.
My summer amp is a Jeff Rowland 625 (original series). Last week I changed from the Pass to the Rowland.
Both amps drive the B&Ws easily, these speakers are easier to drive than my long term (12 years) speaker, the Avalon Avatar.
I will do the series 2 upgrade to the Rowland soon, I believe it costs $2200.00.
My signal sources are Levinson 390S for redbook & HDCD. My Blue Ray, SACD & DAC are from my Oppo BDP-105D.
My preamp is the Pass XP-30.
The Rowland idles at 100 watts, the Pass idles at 200 watts. Both amps sound very good, to me.
Hope this helps...
Thanks for your info. I have listened to the $30K B&W 800D3 paired with the Bryston 28B3 mono 1,000 watts, $22K a pair and I was very impressed how good these babies sound. This is a little bit out of my budget for now, so I have to try the 803D3 ($17K) and the Bryston 4B3 300 watts Stereo ($6k), the 805 D3 ($6k), the 705 ($2.5K) and 706 ($1.7K). These last two, I already listened in a store in Los Angeles, they have them connected to the Rotel RA-1572 120 watts Integrated Amp. Price is $1.7K and honestly I liked them a lot since these 705 and 706 don't required a really powerful amp, they need 120 watts Max. Now the 803D3 need a beefy amp like in the vicinity of 500 watts to shine. I guess they are asking for the 7B3 mono 600 watts for $12K a pair. I have always liked B&W, KEF, Thiel, Vandersteen and Martin Logan. I wish I could have enough rooms to have a setup with each brand of speakers mentioned, better yet one setup for each day of the week:D

Yes, those amps of yours are great sounding amps but it most be hard to handling that hit specially in Arizona weather. This is my problem too. I can not listen to my music because amp generates too much hit, this is a heater!

By the way, did you get a good deal on the 803D3?
I may go this weekend to see a used Mark Levinson 331 perhaps I buy it if it runs cool.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Steve

How much are the Due Volte monos?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing