A Brief Stroll Through the Headphone Garden: CanJam 2021

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I drove down to CanJam 2021 in Irvine, California, today to hang out with Marc Meisner, a friend from the San Francisco Bay area who is a very long-time and experienced audiophile, and who happened to be in town, and to take Jason Lord, the owner of The Source AV, out for dinner. Jason has a very large and elaborate headphone and headphone amp demo facility in his large and beautiful store in Torrance, California.

I figured Marc and I would just have drinks at the bar, but he actually wanted to audition some headphones. Go figure! He recently ordered the Audeze electrostatic headphones, and he wanted to audition a few more.

I used to use Sennheiser headphones for weak signal work on amateur radio. I have never in my life put on high-end audio headphones until today.

I think I tried about seven different headphones today, including the Audeze electrostatic, the Raal SR1a ribbon headphone (which positions itself off of the ears), a top-of-the-line Stax electrostatic, the HiFiMan Shangri-La, the Dan Clark Voce and the Dan Clark Stealth. Most audition set-ups included a very serious-looking tube headphone amplifier by HeadAmp called the Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic.

6CD9B551-72F6-419F-BC83-4E6F6B98A906.jpeg

My tentative conclusions:

I like the headphones that are open (not fully closed) on the sides.

My favorite headphone was the Dan Clark Voce. My second favorite was the HiFiMan Shangri-La. None of the headphones before the Voce really did anything for me. When I listened to the Voce, I recognized what is to me a more natural sound, and, somehow, a sound that I am familiar with. Very quickly I felt that this was the headphone for me. For the first time all day I wanted to continue listening to music on this thing. It sounded natural; it sounded "musical" and tonally "right."

The Stax sounded a little bit sterile and threadbare or skeletal to me. It totally reminded me of the sound of the Martin-Logan CLS.

My favorite headphone amplifier was the Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic.

I learned today that the best headphones and headphone amplifiers offer a musically complete rendition of music. However, for me, they offer no suspension of disbelief.

I am not going to buy anything. This is because I can't figure out how I would use headphones. I have never used headphones to listen to music. I don't want to use headphones to listen to music.

But if I had to buy a headphone set-up I would get the Dan Clark Voce and the Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic. That is a pretty sweet pairing.

And I would use vinyl as my source component.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I drove down to CanJam 2021 in Irvine, California, today to hang out with Marc Meisner, a friend from the San Francisco Bay area who is a very long-time and experienced audiophile, and who happened to be in town, and to take Jason Lord, the owner of The Source AV, out for dinner. Jason has a very large and elaborate headphone and headphone amp demo facility in his large and beautiful store in Torrance, California.

I figured Marc and I would just have drinks at the bar, but he actually wanted to audition some headphones. Go figure! He recently ordered the Audeze electrostatic headphones, and he wanted to audition a few more.

I used to use Sennheiser headphones for weak signal work on amateur radio. I have never in my life put on high-end audio headphones until today.

I think I tried about seven different headphones today, including the Audeze electrostatic, the Raal SR1a ribbon headphone (which positions itself off of the ears), a top-of-the-line Stax electrostatic, the HiFiMan Shangri-La, the Dan Clark Voce and the Dan Clark Stealth. Most audition set-ups included a very serious-looking tube headphone amplifier by HeadAmp called the Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic.

View attachment 82274

My tentative conclusions:

I like the headphones that are open (not fully closed) on the sides.

My favorite headphone was the Dan Clark Voce. My second favorite was the HiFiMan Shangri-La. None of the headphones before the Voce really did anything for me. When I listened to the Voce, I recognized what is to me a more natural sound, and, somehow, a sound that I am familiar with. Very quickly I felt that this was the headphone for me. For the first time all day I wanted to continue listening to music on this thing. It sounded natural; it sounded "musical" and tonally "right."

The Stax sounded a little bit sterile and threadbare or skeletal to me. It totally reminded me of the sound of the Martin-Logan CLS.

My favorite headphone amplifier was the Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic.

I learned today that the best headphones and headphone amplifiers offer a musically complete rendition of music. However, for me, they offer no suspension of disbelief.

I am not going to buy anything. This is because I can't figure out how I would use headphones. I have never used headphones to listen to music. I don't want to use headphones to listen to music.

But if I had to buy a headphone set-up I would get the Dan Clark Voce and the Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic. That is a pretty sweet pairing.

And I would use vinyl as my source component.
The Stax does not sound sterile if you use right ampliifier for it.

I would have driven there if it is within 4 hour's drive from my home.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Stax does not sound sterile if you use right ampliifier for it.
. . .

I am confident that The Source AV was using an appropriate amplifier.

Apparently, this is a respectable combination:

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
stax headphones have always sounded abit lean and sterile to me .I perfer planner headphones
and looking at getting a pair of the new audaze lcd5.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have Raal Sr1a in addition to HD 800 / Stax 009s.

No more desiire to get another headphones.
I did not realize (or forgot) that you have the HD800. How do you drive it? We are using the EAR Yoshino HP4.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I find the older low bias Stax to have more body and less of the audiophile skeleton ultra detail paradigm, while still being plenty detailed. However, what I have heard a couple of times from Stax 009/blue hawaii, I concur they sound a bit too thin.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I concur.. I bought a pair of HD650’s several years ago, nice tube headphone amp , with some sweet sounding 6922 NOS bugle boy’s.. Probably has 10 hours or less on the whole setup after more than a decade.. just seems “contained” sounding and unnatural to me.. music under a microscope..
I need openness and space for my music.. otherwise I find it detracts from the music, but I enjoy attending the can-fests when they are in town..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing