A Brief Stroll Through the Headphone Garden: CanJam 2021

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I drove down to CanJam 2021 in Irvine, California, today to hang out with Marc Meisner, a friend from the San Francisco Bay area who is a very long-time and experienced audiophile, and who happened to be in town, and to take Jason Lord, the owner of The Source AV, out for dinner. Jason has a very large and elaborate headphone and headphone amp demo facility in his large and beautiful store in Torrance, California.

I figured Marc and I would just have drinks at the bar, but he actually wanted to audition some headphones. Go figure! He recently ordered the Audeze electrostatic headphones, and he wanted to audition a few more.

I used to use Sennheiser headphones for weak signal work on amateur radio. I have never in my life put on high-end audio headphones until today.

I think I tried about seven different headphones today, including the Audeze electrostatic, the Raal SR1a ribbon headphone (which positions itself off of the ears), a top-of-the-line Stax electrostatic, the HiFiMan Shangri-La, the Dan Clark Voce and the Dan Clark Stealth. Most audition set-ups included a very serious-looking tube headphone amplifier by HeadAmp called the Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic.

6CD9B551-72F6-419F-BC83-4E6F6B98A906.jpeg

My tentative conclusions:

I like the headphones that are open (not fully closed) on the sides.

My favorite headphone was the Dan Clark Voce. My second favorite was the HiFiMan Shangri-La. None of the headphones before the Voce really did anything for me. When I listened to the Voce, I recognized what is to me a more natural sound, and, somehow, a sound that I am familiar with. Very quickly I felt that this was the headphone for me. For the first time all day I wanted to continue listening to music on this thing. It sounded natural; it sounded "musical" and tonally "right."

The Stax sounded a little bit sterile and threadbare or skeletal to me. It totally reminded me of the sound of the Martin-Logan CLS.

My favorite headphone amplifier was the Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic.

I learned today that the best headphones and headphone amplifiers offer a musically complete rendition of music. However, for me, they offer no suspension of disbelief.

I am not going to buy anything. This is because I can't figure out how I would use headphones. I have never used headphones to listen to music. I don't want to use headphones to listen to music.

But if I had to buy a headphone set-up I would get the Dan Clark Voce and the Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic. That is a pretty sweet pairing.

And I would use vinyl as my source component.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I drove down to CanJam 2021 in Irvine, California, today to hang out with Marc Meisner, a friend from the San Francisco Bay area who is a very long-time and experienced audiophile, and who happened to be in town, and to take Jason Lord, the owner of The Source AV, out for dinner. Jason has a very large and elaborate headphone and headphone amp demo facility in his large and beautiful store in Torrance, California.

I figured Marc and I would just have drinks at the bar, but he actually wanted to audition some headphones. Go figure! He recently ordered the Audeze electrostatic headphones, and he wanted to audition a few more.

I used to use Sennheiser headphones for weak signal work on amateur radio. I have never in my life put on high-end audio headphones until today.

I think I tried about seven different headphones today, including the Audeze electrostatic, the Raal SR1a ribbon headphone (which positions itself off of the ears), a top-of-the-line Stax electrostatic, the HiFiMan Shangri-La, the Dan Clark Voce and the Dan Clark Stealth. Most audition set-ups included a very serious-looking tube headphone amplifier by HeadAmp called the Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic.

View attachment 82274

My favorite headphone was the Dan Clark Voce. My second favorite was the HiFiMan Shangri-La. None of the headphones before the Voce really did anything for me. When I listened to the Voce, I recognized what is to me a more natural sound, and, somehow, a sound that I am familiar with. Very quickly I felt that this was the headphone for me. For the first time all day I wanted to continue listening to music on this thing. It sounded natural; it sounded "musical" and tonally "right."

The Stax sounded a little bit sterile and threadbare or skeletal to me. It totally reminded me of the sound of the Martin-Logan CLS.

My favorite headphone amplifier was the Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic.

I learned today that the best headphones and headphone amplifiers offer a musically complete rendition of music. However, for me, they offer no suspension of disbelief.

I am not going to buy anything. This is because I can't figure out how I would use headphones. I have never used headphones to listen to music. I don't want to use headphones to listen to music.

But if I had to buy a headphone set-up I would get the Dan Clark Voce and the Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic. That is a pretty sweet pairing.

The Stax does not sound sterile if you use right ampliifier for it.

I would have driven there if it is within 4 hour's drive from my home.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Stax does not sound sterile if you use right ampliifier for it.
. . .

I am confident that The Source AV was using an appropriate amplifier.

Apparently, this is a respectable combination:

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: Fred Crane

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
stax headphones have always sounded abit lean and sterile to me .I perfer planner headphones
and looking at getting a pair of the new audaze lcd5.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have Raal Sr1a in addition to HD 800 / Stax 009s.

No more desiire to get another headphones.
I did not realize (or forgot) that you have the HD800. How do you drive it? We are using the EAR Yoshino HP4.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I find the older low bias Stax to have more body and less of the audiophile skeleton ultra detail paradigm, while still being plenty detailed. However, what I have heard a couple of times from Stax 009/blue hawaii, I concur they sound a bit too thin.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I concur.. I bought a pair of HD650’s several years ago, nice tube headphone amp , with some sweet sounding 6922 NOS bugle boy’s.. Probably has 10 hours or less on the whole setup after more than a decade.. just seems “contained” sounding and unnatural to me.. music under a microscope..
I need openness and space for my music.. otherwise I find it detracts from the music, but I enjoy attending the can-fests when they are in town..

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I owned the blue H amp and an older stax009 before they sold the company.
I sold the Blue H and use a woo wes
the Blue H is hybrid only uses tubes for output. It’s a fine amp but woo can use many tube types so it’s more adaptive to your like. over all stax is more neutral and I can see why ron felt as he did. others are to me less accurate and warm of neutral. But this is my view.
planners are my first choice but not the ones who color or warm too much.
if use the hd800 and then go to my stax
it’s obvious there slower and seem fuzzy if I go back to them fast. It takes me a few minutes to adjust. But this is me others may feel different. Even the 007 stax seem muddy compared to 009

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I’m off to collect my 9000’s tomorrow after a 3 month wait. Together with my 8000 amp, that’s enough headphones for me. Whilst it’s all down to personal taste, buy what you like and enjoy

Reactions: Alrainbow

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020

View attachment 82274

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your take on some very special head gear. There are ways to suspend your disbelief but are difficult to do in a store setting. We use the Bach-SP to do some pretty amazing things with headphones. For instance, we can put you in your listening chair, and within 15 minutes, have you thinking that you're listening to your traditional loudspeakers, when you will in fact be listening to your headphones. (okay, the headphones being on your head is a give away, but trust me, Edgar's done it time and again.) This may be of no value past amusement, but for someone who prefers loudspeaker listening but doesn't have the space, or doesn't want to disturb family members past a certain hour, it's a viable option. (and there are those who prefer headphone listening...hard to believe, but they're out there : )

Regarding headphone amps, Dieter Mallach (Mal Valve) makes some pretty compelling designs as well. He actually makes a full compliment of tube gear, a turntable and even magnetostatic speakers...including magnetostatic bass drivers. He also runs HiFi Deluxe across the street from the Munich show. He has very singular views about transformer design (essentially all of our OPT's are undersized for their task). So in his valve amps, (all push pull) the OPT's are designed to sit on the floor, near the loudspeakers. This way, they can be over 90 pounds per channel...after a listen, it is a convincing argument where push pull amps are concerned. They are also the best way to run the RAAL headphones that I've come across...electrostats too. Anyway, his headamp design has been otherworldly since 2013 or so when he came out with an amp that could power electrostats, dynamic cans and everything between. Way back when, it won the award, 'best headphone amp in the world' from Steve Guttenberg. Now there are three to choose from, and there's no drawback for their versatility that I can hear. And yes, you can add his big honking floor transformers and have a monster integrated, headfi/loudspeaker listening space. Anyway, I've run on...forgive me. Here's a shot of my Head Amp Five. it runs kt-170s (a vast improvement on all KT tubes (KT-66, KT-90, KT-100 etc etc) sonically-I could care less about the power...they just sound better-flesh and bone and blood) It runs the pro electrostatic output for pro-Stax, a traditional electrostatic output for other ESL's (adjustable voltage), balanced outputs for regular and planar magnetic cans, and a 1/4 inch jack for same...it can be run as a preamp, and with the additional OPTs on the floor, power just about any loudspeakers (and the RAAL headphones) This along with my single ended Trafomatic Head Amps, has my headfi bases covered. Anyway, a super-fun listen.
Head5KT170.jpg

Reactions: dan31

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your take on some very special head gear. There are ways to suspend your disbelief but are difficult to do in a store setting. We use the Bach-SP to do some pretty amazing things with headphones. For instance, we can put you in your listening chair, and within 15 minutes, have you thinking that you're listening to your traditional loudspeakers, when you will in fact be listening to your headphones. (okay, the headphones being on your head is a give away, but trust me, Edgar's done it time and again.) This may be of no value past amusement, but for someone who prefers loudspeaker listening but doesn't have the space, or doesn't want to disturb family members past a certain hour, it's a viable option. (and there are those who prefer headphone listening...hard to believe, but they're out there : )

Regarding headphone amps, Dieter Mallach (Mal Valve) makes some pretty compelling designs as well. He actually makes a full compliment of tube gear, a turntable and even magnetostatic speakers...including magnetostatic bass drivers. He also runs HiFi Deluxe across the street from the Munich show. He has very singular views about transformer design (essentially all of our OPT's are undersized for their task). So in his valve amps, (all push pull) the OPT's are designed to sit on the floor, near the loudspeakers. This way, they can be over 90 pounds per channel...after a listen, it is a convincing argument where push pull amps are concerned. They are also the best way to run the RAAL headphones that I've come across...electrostats too. Anyway, his headamp design has been otherworldly since 2013 or so when he came out with an amp that could power electrostats, dynamic cans and everything between. Way back when, it won the award, 'best headphone amp in the world' from Steve Guttenberg. Now there are three to choose from, and there's no drawback for their versatility that I can hear. And yes, you can add his big honking floor transformers and have a monster integrated, headfi/loudspeaker listening space. Anyway, I've run on...forgive me. Here's a shot of my Head Amp Five. it runs kt-170s (a vast improvement on all KT tubes (KT-66, KT-90, KT-100 etc etc) sonically-I could care less about the power...they just sound better-flesh and bone and blood) It runs the pro electrostatic output for pro-Stax, a traditional electrostatic output for other ESL's (adjustable voltage), balanced outputs for regular and planar magnetic cans, and a 1/4 inch jack for same...it can be run as a preamp, and with the additional OPTs on the floor, power just about any loudspeakers (and the RAAL headphones) This along with my single ended Trafomatic Head Amps, has my headfi bases covered. Anyway, a super-fun listen.
View attachment 92303

Very interesting, Fred! Thank you for the introduction to Bach-SP, and for the description of the Mal Valve products and transformer design philosophy. I like the idea of those giant output transformers sitting next to the amplifiers!

Finally, I am a huge fan of Trafomatic. If I ever win the lottery I will be ordering Drinas!

Reactions: Fred Crane

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing