30 years ago tomorrow 'Nevermind' was released.....

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I think it fails the 'is every track great' test.

Some excellent stuff, nonetheless. But 6th best album ever made? No.

Reactions: K3RMIT

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I think it fails the 'is every track great' test.

Some excellent stuff, nonetheless. But 6th best album ever made? No.
fair enough.

name a more musically impactful Album since 1991?

i realize that a question like that is completely a matter of opinion. but throw one out there.

Reactions: Chop

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I was thinking before 1991... we're talking all time here.

Here's 4 that are to my mind easily better but there are more.

Pistols Nevermind The Bollocks
The Clash 1st
Stranglers Rattus Norvegicus
Joy Division Unknown Pleasures

Also, The Downward Spiral by NIN is or was more impactful to me. 1994. There's just something about it.

If you really like Nevermind check out Love/Hate by Nine Black Alps.

Reactions: Gardener

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
fair enough.

i realize that a question like that is completely a matter of opinion. but throw one out there.

Green Day, American Idiot

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I dont wanna take anything away from nirvana but ,...

Dutch house music started in the 90 s and it has been a worldwide succes since

Best band album of all time Dirty deeds ;

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Here's 4 that are to my mind easily better but there are more
this is not a question of 'better'....it's a question of impact....over the whole music and cultural scene.

forget what we all liked from our youth, or subjective likes and dislikes; it's what stood out as genre defining and long term staying power. significance to the music business.

Nevermind is not my favorite music, not close. but it did take Grunge and Indie rock mainstream forever.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
fair enough.

OY VEY Mike be prepared LOL

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'll take Metallica/The Black Album and Faith No More/Angel Dust anytime over Nevermind, Mike. Angel Dust in particular really has stood the test of time.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

Here's 4

Pistols Nevermind The Bollocks
The Clash 1st
Stranglers Rattus Norvegicus
Joy Division Unknown Pleasures

If you really like Nevermind check out Love/Hate by Nine Black Alps.
this is not a question of 'better'....it's a question of impact....over the whole music and cultural scene.

forget what we all liked from our youth, or subjective likes and dislikes; it's what stood out as genre defining and long term staying power. significance to the music business.

Nevermind is not my favorite music, not close. but it did take Grunge and Indie rock mainstream forever.
Well you should have qualified that in your earlier post.

That said, the albums I have quoted were seriously impactful and very highly rated in their time.

And much as I liked Kurt, I seriously think Trent had and has superior intellect. Though I think Kurt was very clever. And I also think he'd never have killed himself. I am not into conspiracy theories I just know when something is wrong;)

Ian Curtis I believe did kill himself. I saw him live on stage. He meant what he was saying.

That's the most impactful live gig I ever attended. They were supporting the Buzzcocks at the Hemel Hempstead pavillion when I saw them. History, but hey. Fucking amazing history;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gardener

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'll take Metallica/The Black Album and Faith No More/Angel Dust anytime over Nevermind, Mike. Angel Dust in particular really has stood the test of time.
i like hundreds of Albums better than Nevermind. who cares what i like? or what you like for that matter?

my point was impact, and since 1991.

stop it with the favorite album stuff, make your case that your album choice, since 1991, made a larger impact than Nevermind.

that's 30 years, a long time. i'll wait. :p

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
here is what i said. i used the word 'impactful'...not favorite, or bette
Well, I did that anyway.

The Downward Spiral. Definitely more hardcore and impactful than Nevermind in my book.

That said, one of my fave tracks to play on my acoustic is About a Girl, from the preceding Nirvana album. That said, I think Lithium is incredible.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
here is what i said. i used the word 'impactful'...not favorite, or better.

Mike, originally you used the term "musically impactful", which is much more ambiguous than "impact on the music scene", influential.

If you don't define what you are asking for, you cannot complain if you get an answer that you were not asking for.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
people do take their artist/album love seriously here. and they should. lots of Nirvana envy going around for the attention that they got. it's just not fair!!! fate is not about fairness.
I always play this game with the youngins.
Make a list of all the great bands post 1980 and I ll make a list of the same before 1980. The results are startling. Post is very very few

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
not just a Seattle perspective.....

tomorrow there will likely be more......

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, originally you used the term "musically impactful", which is much more ambiguous than "impact on the music scene", influential.

If you don't define what you are asking for, you cannot complain if you get an answer that you were not asking for.
i'm good with musically impactful. i don't think that takes away from my perspective.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing