Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm very curious. I'll likely buy one...thanks for posting

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Why?

As a long term apple user (20yrs) I have recently upgraded to windows 10 systems (Thinkpad, Thinkstation) having moved away from IOS 18months ago, and my only regret is not doing it sooner. Apple have totally lost their way, especially with the mac. I can work far more efficiently, saving considerable time, and dont have that awful apple id mess that frankly is a disaster for some..

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Why?

As a long term apple user (20yrs) I have recently upgraded to windows 10 systems (Thinkpad, Thinkstation) having moved away from IOS 18months ago, and my only regret is not doing it sooner. Apple have totally lost their way, especially with the mac. I can work far more efficiently, saving considerable time, and dont have that awful apple id mess that frankly is a disaster for some..

different strokes for different folks I guess. I just won’t ever use a PC I prefer a Mac.
I do agree that Cooke is not the visionary that Steve Jobs was

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Steve thanks for this post. It's very timely. My wife has been talking about getting a new MB. I'm not sure she knows about this...

PS: We left windows long, long ago. My wife enjoys running an Apple Lab at her school. Even my Apple Watch unlocks my Apple computers. Great convenience. But to each his own.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
All these folks swearing off Apple will be back. The alternative is far, far, FAR worse.
I stick with Apple not because they're great. But because, as I said, the alternative is TERRIBLE.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
All these folks swearing off Apple will be back. The alternative is far, far, FAR worse.
I stick with Apple not because they're great. But because, as I said, the alternative is TERRIBLE.
Actually, you couldn't be further from the truth, and yes, I was an apple die hard for many years, running a MBP, iMac, Mac Pro, iPad &iPhone all at the same time. They somehow morphed into toys though, they neglected pro users to focus on gadgets and then attempted to bring the UI to the Mac, which was their biggest mistake. Sadly. Windows 10 is far better than you seem to believe, and just 3-4 years ago I'd never be heard saying that..

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
OK then! Have fun with your Windows 10, and let us suffer with our toys then!

Reactions: rgmd11

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
Left windows when i could not stand XP anymore, have had two Apple laptops since, latest being an almost 9 year old Pro Retina, recently installed Windows 10 using parallels, and its still horrible to use, Mac Os is for me light years ahead and does very much what it says on the tin, and show me a PC laptop that lasts almost 9 years.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
what of the Chrome Book?

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
what of the Chrome Book?
For what purpose ? Known as a "thin" client, the chrome books are more for internet/cloud type usage. They also mostly run android which has a less secure eco system, but also less "proprietary" than Apple, IME.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I just mean if you don't like window there is a choice other than apple

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I just mean if you don't like window there is a choice other than apple
Ah.. sorry.. got carried away. PC’s will run various versions of Linux based OS’s. I run Ubuntu on my PC.
oops.. did it again.

rsrzr

Jun 22, 2017
I have used apple since the apple II days. The most powerful/elegant OS for an end user. I can run any flavor of Linux or god forbid windows on my Mac. I was in IT for many years and MS Windows was the worst OS, always having to update the OS for virus's, always reboot for some reasoning. "Plug and Play" came from the windows culture.
Back to the new Apple hardware, nothing else comes close in performance than the new Macs/iPads with the new M1 chip. The new hardware next week will up the ante with their newer hardware that will perform better than the current M1 chips.
I have used Parallels and VMWare on the Mac 15 or more years ago to run windows for specific apps and different flavors of linux like Ubuntu/Red Hat/others with no issues. For the last 8 years, I used the free VirtualBox to run Linux on my Mac, I refuse to touch windows.

Reactions: Mikem53

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I have used apple since the apple II days. The most powerful/elegant OS for an end user. I can run any flavor of Linux or god forbid windows on my Mac. I was in IT for many years and MS Windows was the worst OS, always having to update the OS for virus's, always reboot for some reasoning. "Plug and Play" came from the windows culture.
Back to the new Apple hardware, nothing else comes close in performance than the new Macs/iPads with the new M1 chip. The new hardware next week will up the ante with their newer hardware that will perform better than the current M1 chips.
I have used Parallels and VMWare on the Mac 15 or more years ago to run windows for specific apps and different flavors of linux like Ubuntu/Red Hat/others with no issues. For the last 8 years, I used the free VirtualBox to run Linux on my Mac, I refuse to touch windows.
“Windows…. A virus with mouse support“ I have the same views after being in IT for 40+ years

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I too am an Apple convert. The hardware may be a bit overpriced, but you're paying for the system, including the operating system, etc - not just the hardware. IMO the user experience is not even close.

Reactions: Mikem53

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Apple throughout here. Family of four, each with own iphone / ipad / macbook or imac plus older models stuffed into cupboards etc. Maybe getting caught within the Apple ecosystem is a type of Hotel California however I couldn’t really conceive using other brands.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing