1110 & 1160

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
Hi,
I am new to Boulder stuff but the latest 1100 series caught my eyes and ears, to be exact, but not my heart yet. Appreciate any comments on this series.

I live in a (British)230v 50Hz 13A environment.
Thank you.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi,
I am new to Boulder stuff but the latest 1100 series caught my eyes and ears, to be exact, but not my heart yet. Appreciate any comments on this series.

I live in a (British)230v 50Hz 13A environment.
Thank you.

Hi, Can you please describe the rest of your system?

Reactions: gian60

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
Hi Bonzo75,
I am thinking of setting up another system with Boulder amps. Then, I will find new sources and speakers to match. Do you think the phonostage and CDP will be revised to a 1100 series too? Thanks

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I recently auditioned the 1110 with my 3060 amp and 1008 phonostage, YG XV speakers. IMO it is a great preamp.

What is your other system?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bonzo75,
I am thinking of setting up another system with Boulder amps. Then, I will find new sources and speakers to match. Do you think the phonostage and CDP will be revised to a 1100 series too? Thanks

You mentioned you are in the UK. You can hear boulder systems with YG at a hifi shop in Cambridge, also audio lounge owner in London might be able to arrange. Restored Apogees are the other great choice for boulder

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I recently auditioned the 1110 with my 3060 amp and 1008 phonostage, YG XV speakers. IMO it is a great preamp.

What is your other system?

Chuck, did you not own Alexandria before?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Nice review but I have deja vu reading it. Reviews of Boulder amps all have the same basic theme, going back decades:

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/1091boul/index.html
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue27/2060_boulder.htm
https://www.stereophile.com/content/boulder-amplifiers-2150-monoblock-power-amplifier

The reviews are all dead on the money correct. My favorite is the JGH review from 1992. Also amusing are the reviews like Fremer's, who say Boulder is a great amp but I don't like it because it is too perfect, i.e. not "musical."

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Nice review but I have deja vu reading it. Reviews of Boulder amps all have the same basic theme, going back decades:

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/1091boul/index.html
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue27/2060_boulder.htm
https://www.stereophile.com/content/boulder-amplifiers-2150-monoblock-power-amplifier

The reviews are all dead on the money correct. My favorite is the JGH review from 1992. Also amusing are the reviews like Fremer's, who say Boulder is a great amp but I don't like it because it is too perfect, i.e. not "musical."

I am actually setting up my Maxx3 speakers and do have the Boulder 1060 and the VTL S-400 to interchange.
Doing the procedure with the S-400, the position, where you start believing, that it is "correct" is quickly done, you end up with a position, which seem to be the best.

Switching over to the Boulder 1060 , you can hear, that the speaker is better controlled, but also, you like to adjust the speaker position further. The 1060 has a higher level of detail , which enables a next level of speaker set up in very small steps. The S-400 is more easy going, when I change carts, I can hear the differences, but I still can continue to listen to the music. The Boulder 1060 is more strict. If the Cart is not in the right tonal balance, you do not want to listen to it.
So I am not sure, if the reviewers did the last step to integrate the Boulder components in their set up.

Currently I have not yet decided finally, if I like to continue with this Boulder approach , or if I like to continue with the more forgiving VTL amp. The plan is , to give my Boulder more time, to give me more time to ...

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I previously owned a Boulder 1060 which I paired with a heavily modded/re-tubed Ayon CD-5s as linestage driving a pair of Marten Coltrane Alto's. The Alto's were a demanding load, but the Boulder provided rock solid bass/control and neutrality, whilst the Ayon added tube virtues of richness, sweetness, holography and dimensionality - best of both worlds. The 1100 series amps by comparison sound more refined, smooth and offer a sound closer to their Class A amps (ie: with just a very slight touch of warmth and a nice musical flow), though they sound essentially neutral.

I've heard the 1160 and 1110 amps in two different setups, incl recently with an APL Hifi DSD-MR tube dac + DTR-MR SACD transport & Marten Coltrane Tenor 2 speakers. I've also heard that combo paired with Magico S3 Mk2's in an all-Boulder setup. I've always felt Boulder Class A/B amps need some tubes in the mix, and paired with the APL Hifi tube dac and Martens, it all gelled together perfectly and sounded natural and musical. I could see that combo sounding great with Magico and many other speakers as well.

Here are a couple of video's of the setups I heard -

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
I have Wilson Benesch Cardinal and Torus with Tellurium Q cables all over in a small room. I live in an apartment and I cannot play too loud anyway.

Just getting very attracted to the Boulder 1100 series. Has anyone experimented with the power cord on the 32a blue plug? Does it affect the power amp much?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I have Wilson Benesch Cardinal and Torus with Tellurium Q cables all over in a small room. I live in an apartment and I cannot play too loud anyway.

Just getting very attracted to the Boulder 1100 series. Has anyone experimented with the power cord on the 32a blue plug? Does it affect the power amp much?
Congrats on your terrific system. You've chosen some very nice gear indeed :cool:.

Re: the factory pc, when I previously owned a Boulder 1060, I ordered a separate German Walther 32a connector from Boulder & had one of my Jorma Prime pc's re-terminated with the connector (see pic below). Of course the re-terminated cable would be far superior to the factory cable, but my main reason for re-terminating one of my Prime pc's was to maintain overall synergy with the rest of my loom, and the re-terminated cable achieved that. In terms of what the Walther connector brings to the table, It is a very high quality connector with much larger surface area & electrical efficiency than normal audiophile connectors. Hence if you have a dedicated 20a or 32a circuit, you can get a greater benefit.

If you're considering re-terminating one of your TQ power cables, just bare in mind that the Boulder 1160 is a high current amp, particularly if fed by a dedicated 20a or 32a circuit. So you just need to ensure the cable is suitable for a high current application & the male connector is rated accordingly.

thumbnail_IMG_1801.jpg

Last edited:

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
Thank you, Bodhi, for sharing your experience on the power cord and Walther plug. A few questions if you do not mind,
1) What is the plug at the other end of the power cord. I can’t tell if it is a British or US plug from the photo.
2) Any experience on plugging the 1060 into a power conditioner?
Thanks.

Reactions: Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
YW @Harmburger. To answer your questions...

- The male connector I used is the Furutech FI-AU3112R which is for Australian conditions. Though fyi the standard factory connectors used for the Jorma Prime pc are the Oyaide P-004/C-004, though I have now re-terminated my Prime pc's with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1 connectors which are amongst the best. That said the ultimate connectors now are Furutech FI-50 R NCF imho.
- I connected my 1060 directly to wall as I didn't have a suitable power conditioner at the time (given the Boulder's high current draw). I now use a Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo conditioner which is one of the few power conditioners which has a high current branch which does not limit the current of the connected amplifier. In fact, it improves impulse response. In my current setup, I connect my Vitus SIA-025 directly to the conditioner's high current branch & have been very happy with the performance. It audibly improved the amp's perceived power and dynamics, along with reduce the noise floor. If I still owned the 1060, I would have also connected it to my conditioner as I don't have a dedicated 20a or 32a circuit, and the Gigawatt does an excellent job. Hope that helps!

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
Hi Bodhi,
Great gear you have there. From a Boulder 1060 to a Vitus SIA-025? That sure is a very different presentation of music. I have heard the Vitus quite a few times and I prefer Vitus over Gryphon. What made you switch out of Boulder?

I use Furutech NCF plugs into a Audioquest Niagara 7000. The NCF is great stuff!

Reactions: Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Cheers @Hamburger. What made me sell my Boulder 1060 & 1010 was a chance visit to my audio dealer in 2013. I got to audition the Magico Q1's with a Vitus SIA-025, SCD-010 and Siltech Royal Signature series cables. The sound was so transparent, pure, liquid/tube-like, musical & well-controlled, I was stunned. At the time I was running Marten Coltrane Alto's, a Boulder 1060 & heavily modded Ayon CD-5s as linestage, but that audition directly lead me to sell my system and resolve to build a new system around Magico and Vitus.

With the above said, the Boulder 1100 series are a lot better than the old 1000 series & are more musical. I really like them with some tubes in the mix. That said, my next amp will be the upcoming Vitus SIA-030 integrated.

I currently use a non-NCF GTX-D wpo as I had that installed before the NCF outlets came out. Due to the trickly location of the outlet, I decided not to upgrade. But I plan on installing GTX-D NCF wpo's in my next house in a dedicated 20a circuit, and custom order TQ pc's with NCF connectors for synergy.

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
I listened to the 1110 & 1160 yesterday. The sound was 85% within my expectation.

The strength is the transparency and "pure-ness", or as most might say "no character of its own". There was a tinge of upper mid sweetness and delicateness which I like. It timed well and it reminded me of the Orpheus Laboratories that I used to own. I put the Boulder in the same sound camp but with "balls".

However, as I was listening through sources, cables and speakers that I was not familiar with. There was no "holographic soundstage" that I could catch. I felt the it was rather "flat 2D". The left-right spread and height were very good but the perception of depth was shallow to me. Does Boulder image well in Audiophile holographic-ness?

Reactions: BillK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing