Tube Rolling the H3000

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I used various cones such as the Goldmund under the PS or the Wave Kinetics feet.

I have seen the Wave Kinetics before but have not tried them yet. I can probably get someone to loan me some though. From their looks they appear to have a squishy outer shell. I assume the Goldmund's are a hard material?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
OK I'll take your word for it. But it's a $300 gamble.

Still doesn't affect the sound of the RCA ;)
Fair enough. I'll report at some point, I should just keep the cover off the power supply since no children and the cats aren't allowed in; that would enable me to swap out the tubes without fanfare.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Ok well I'll be the first to admit i may be wrong, but I thought I remembered his earlier postings re the Mullard to be the GZ 37. The one I'm using is the so-called 'first series' fat base GZ 34.

All I know is that I sent Myles a Mullard GZ-34 out of my stash to try out. Myles will need to chime in and say if he used it in this particular application.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have seen the Wave Kinetics before but have not tried them yet. I can probably get someone to loan me some though. From their looks they appear to have a squishy outer shell. I assume the Goldmund's are a hard material?

The Goldmund cones are the best I've used over the many years. In fact back in the '90s, had done a survey of about 12 different cones on the market for Sounds Like magazine but the mag folder before it was printed :( Whatever, it taught me a lot!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
All I know is that I sent Myles a Mullard GZ-34 out of my stash to try out. Myles will need to chime in and say if he used it in this particular application.

Yes I wasn't real crazy about it in the Allnic. I'd have to check my notes for particulars.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
The Goldmund cones are the best I've used over the many years. In fact back in the '90s, had done a survey of about 12 different cones on the market for Sounds Like magazine but the mag folder before it was printed :( Whatever, it taught me a lot!
I still have two sets. Right now, i'm using the Stillpoints Ultra SS under the Allnic PS, but it's easy enough to compare them (along with the tubes) :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Yes I wasn't real crazy about it in the Allnic. I'd have to check my notes for particulars.

Yea, I'd be interested. You did say you thought the GZ 37 was tizzy in another thread. That's what I was referring to. You still have the H3000V, right Myles? And sorry, I'm losing my mind, but what rectifier are you running it? (I probably have it, I bought a bunch when i first got the unit).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yea, I'd be interested. You did say you thought the GZ 37 was tizzy in another thread. That's what I was referring to. You still have the H3000V, right Myles? And sorry, I'm losing my mind, but what rectifier are you running it? (I probably have it, I bought a bunch when i first got the unit).

Well actually it's at a friends place and the left channel isn't working. But am using the RCA. I know Albert Porter has experimented with more and he told me the tube he ended up with but the model/brand escapes me.

Brought it to one shop and they replaced the gain pots but the unit has the same problem. I'm getting a little frustrated and will need to send it to this other guy David recommended in PA; I think it's the selector switch that is broken since the phono stage gradually loses the left channel and if one switches between inputs, it comes back again. But need to get a box for the unit to ship and don't have the original box. David wants $400 for a new box.

And actually had both versions eg the adjustable RIAA and the simpler model in house. I ended up with the latter.

So it's not my go to phono section any more as we've discussed :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Well actually it's at a friends place and the left channel isn't working. But am using the RCA. I know Albert Porter has experimented with more and he told me the tube he ended up with but the model/brand escapes me.

Brought it to one shop and they replaced the gain pots but the unit has the same problem. I'm getting a little frustrated and will need to send it to this other guy David recommended in PA; I think it's the selector switch that is broken since the phono stage gradually loses the left channel and if one switches between inputs, it comes back again. But need to get a box for the unit to ship and don't have the original box. David wants $400 for a new box.

And actually had both versions eg the adjustable RIAA and the simpler model in house. I ended up with the latter.

So it's not my go to phono section any more as we've discussed :)
I know who the guy in PA is, he does alot of esoteric stuff and mods. It's less than two hours from NY. Drive the thing over there, check out the foilage and shoot a few deer. * Remember the Deerhunter? That's what it was like, I grew up in PA. Fer reel!

______
*No needless killing of animals disclaimer. Except in the case of aged, bone-in ribeye steaks.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I know who the guy in PA is, he does alot of esoteric stuff and mods. It's less than two hours from NY. Drive the thing over there, check out the foilage and shoot a few deer. * Remember the Deerhunter? That's what it was like, I grew up in PA. Fer reel!

______
*No needless killing of animals disclaimer. Except in the case of aged, bone-in ribeye steaks.

I'm thinking about it. Weighing cost of box vs. renting a car. I just don't think can be fixed in one day-esp. if need selector switch.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I got my CBS 5U4G ST yesterday. Unfortunately it is not sounding good in my system. The highs are a little muted and lack air. It is very detailed below the highs though. It reminds me of bad digital. Oh well.:(

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I got my CBS 5U4G ST yesterday. Unfortunately it is not sounding good in my system. The highs are a little muted and lack air. It is very detailed below the highs though. It reminds me of bad digital. Oh well.:(

They were never the same after Walter Chronkite left....:)

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Pulling an old thread to the fore; re rectifiers in H3000.

Tried several, some better than others, not price dependant nor vintage, there seemed to be no fixed pattern. Bonzo75 introduced me to the KR Audio 5U4G from his Lampi GG recently while at mine; different ball park altogether :) Soo much more and better body, tone, decay is really very good, very natural. I then immediately ordered the below for myself:

12_kr_5u4g_1024x1024.jpg

It is one of those moments we love this hobby; sound is just so right (given good set up of course), very very high end. Not cheap, but worth every single penny in my and Kedar's opinion..

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have tried (owned) the WE 422a from 58 or 60 in the Lampi. The KR was considerably better on all fronts. Haven't tried the 274b WE.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I used the same Philip's which was very nice; though as you agree, the KR takes the Allnic to a whole new level..

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Several years ago, I took off the metal casing, tilted the tube mount, added a B+ switch to pre heat the cathode, added a tube socket adapter and use an 83 four pin mercury vapor rectifier. I haven't even been curious about any other rectifiers since then.

Gemini

Oct 14, 2015
Germany
Does anyone have experience with replacing the fuse in the H3000 by a Synergistic Research or similiar aftermarket fuse?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing