Bass traps. Advice wanted.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Who makes the best bass traps money can buy? No compromises, please. I'm interested only in the best!

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
ASC tube traps... bass traps that work low down and give you a combination of absorption and diffusion as well
they work down to 40hz or so , if you want to go below that then use DSP
http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/tube-trap

Have a read here... look near the end of the article for the bass trapping section
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/theroom/1.html

There is another way to smooth bass response and that is to use 3 or 4 subs
http://seriousaudioblog.blogspot.co.za/2012/05/two-great-articles-on-multiple.html
This way allows you to control suckouts as well

One of our members here , duke le jeune supplies a multisub setup for very little money
http://www.audiokinesis.com/the-swarm-subwoofer-system-1.html
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/
These can integrate with your RELS

I would also recommend a miniDSP 2x4hd or a 4x10 if you want to integrate multiple subs .. even just for your rels .. they allow all sorts of adjustments , parametricss , delay , phase , gain , crossover , low pass .. all at your sitting position in real time
Failing all that , DIRAC is also a great option to fix bass...

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
ASC tube traps... bass traps that work low down and give you a combination of absorption and diffusion
Rodney, are you saying ASC tube traps are beyond competition? And yes, I am only interested in the best of the best...

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Are you saying these outperform ASC TubeTraps?

I have no experience of ASC tubetraps. But Modex plates work very well in my room. The listening room in Magico factory has installed a lot of Modex plates and Modex edge. Are you looking for broadband basstraps or narrow band basstraps? For narrow band basstraps, I suggest Modex module. You can customise the centre frequency.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Who makes the best bass traps money can buy? No compromises, please. I'm interested only in the best!

IMHO you have to measure your room and then evaluate what is the best for your room. RPG products are some of the best, but you need to pick the proper ones in proper quantity - their bass traps are tuned e-g. the tuning frequencies available for Modex™ Module are 40, 50, 63, 80, 100 and 125Hz. Some others, as those from SMC can be tuned in place.

Do you have space constraints? Most of the time size is the real problem in bass absorption.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
It depends on what you want to do or fix?
some more info would help :)
A pic of your room would also be good

I would also invest in a umik-1 ($75 from minidsp.com).. a measuring mic .. the software is free (REW) .. you need to know where the problem areas are.

The modex is a limp membrane trap that needs some note sustenance to make it resonate in sympathy whereas a tube trap reacts instantly to any pressure variation and the areas of high pressure are at room boundaries and corners ... a 16/20" diameter tube trap will go low and its not a huge footprint

The other plus is you get good diffusion or absorption from a tube trap , you rotate them to dial in what you want.
Physical trapping will never deal with typical +10 db peaks in the low bass , I would investigate using DSP or using your 2 subs as node/suckout busters for this

Move your listening chair back or forward in 1 ft increments .. often you arent sitting in the best place for bass
Just remember you arent looking for flat bass .. nice sounding bass needs a lift below 100hz or so ..if it sounds good and tuneful and satisfying to you..then it is

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I have no experience of ASC tubetraps. But Modex plates work very well in my room. The listening room in Magico factory has installed a lot of Modex plates and Modex edge. Are you looking for broadband basstraps or narrow band basstraps? For narrow band basstraps, I suggest Modex module. You can customise the centre frequency.
My problem is 69-70Hz spot. The rest is not bad.

Also, why module? Why not Modex Corner?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
what program are you using for playback?

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
IMHO you have to measure your room and then evaluate what is the best for your room. RPG products are some of the best, but you need to pick the proper ones in proper quantity - their bass traps are tuned e-g. the tuning frequencies available for Modex™ Module are 40, 50, 63, 80, 100 and 125Hz. Some others, as those from SMC can be tuned in place.

Do you have space constraints? Most of the time size is the real problem in bass absorption.
Yes, I do have space constraints. My room is small, but all corners are available and currently unoccupied. That's why I started by considering placing ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps in the available corners. Problem is they cost an arm and a leg. So, before shelling out, I better be damn sure I'm really buying the best there is.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
It depends on what you want to do or fix?
some more info would help :)
First and foremost, I'm trying to kill the boom in the bass at 69-70Hz. The rest can be the icing on a cake...

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
You mod stuff so you must be somewhat handy ... tube bass traps are easy to make at 1/10th of the price of ASC.. you might find transport to outer siberia more expensive than the traps :)
If your playback program has DSP parametric eq then dial in a dip centred around 70hz , gain of -6 , Q between 3-6

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, I do have space constraints. My room is small, but all corners are available and currently unoccupied. That's why I started by considering placing ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps in the available corners. Problem is they cost an arm and a leg. So, before shelling out, I better be damn sure I'm really buying the best there is.

First and foremost, I'm trying to kill the boom in the bass at 69-70Hz. The rest can be the icing on a cake...

IMHO you should go to this calculator and try to find the origin of the peak you are referring. http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/room-eigenmodes.html. Only then you can look for a solution.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013

Since you are only using digital, I strongly suggest you use DSP software. It is much cheaper than basstraps and potentially more effective.

Bart A

Mar 11, 2017
I'm new to this group although I did meet several of the members a few years back at AXPONA at a dinner. I would like to suggest you look at resolution acoustics for the best bass traps. I am the owner. These are patent pending and I have repeated in room measurements effecting bass down to 27 hz. Check out the website at http://www.resolutionacoustics.com. My contact info is on the website, along with many reviews. I have participated in I believe 7 awards in the last 18 months.

http://www.audioshark.org/general-a...-pass-xs300s-make-magico-s7s-shine-10944.html

Thanks, Bart

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Since you are only using digital, I strongly suggest you use DSP software. It is much cheaper than basstraps and potentially more effective.
Can you teach me how? What exactly do I need to do in steps?

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Can you teach me how? What exactly do I need to do in steps?

What software do you use? For example, both Jriver and Roon have inbuilt EQ. It is just a matter to specify the centre frequency (in your case 70 Hz), how many dB do you want to reduce and Q.

Bart A

Mar 11, 2017
Hi Ayreman. You've been given some good advice regarding starting with the player's eq/filter capability. It is not the same as treating the room. Treatments done correctly can enhance the feeling of spaciousness in the room & do wonders for clarity and soundstage along with bass control. This next weekend I've been told Stereophile will publish online the journey of Jason Victor Surinus (Music and equipment reviewer) building and treating his room. It should be an interesting and informative article.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing