I know this old arm is good but I don’t know why David,Rockitman,Tang,Ron,Mike
Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
Now people know I have different iq level from you Micro.
Hope Christian doesn’t tell me another easier way to do. Then I will feel even lesser.

Tang :(
Don’t worry Tang i did the old man fumble when i installed the wire to. You can always blame it on your eyesight.

Tang,

I did not tell you how long I tried pushing the damned string before figuring a way to do it ... :)

What worried me mostly it that thirty years ago, when I had better close sight, I could do it easily on my SME3009 without any tricks ...

BTW, do you use the SME standard geometry, as specified in the manual? Did you use the shown protactor on the SME 3012r?

Yes Micro. I used the protractor circled on the left and the apparatus that David gave me cirlcled on the right. After that it is all ears.

Tang

D2A2FA1C-877B-47E2-9460-3650ECE8A447.jpg

David,
I'm now using the DB Protractor which you suggests, it's a must have for SME users. What is the thing that Tang circled on the right.

Yes Micro. I used the protractor circled on the left and the apparatus that David gave me cirlcled on the right. After that it is all ears.

Tang

View attachment 42941

Tang, what about that fancy Smartrackor in the box on the floor? Did you use that for anything? I have read that it is very accurate and has different alignment curves.

Tang,
your arm board level is not very good,
you have to buy one like this
You have all the top,also arm board level has to be top
I am jocking

Dear Gian,

Since you have such good appetite these days, I recommend you get one of these to measure your tracking force.

A2EA06CB-45D7-4451-AC3F-E3D5EDD6DC5C.jpg

Tang :D

Hi Tango...always fascinated to read your posts......great insight from a person with similar tastes and equip.....
Quick question.......what is the card trick you prefer to...many thanks

Hello Frank,

It is difficult for me to describe how to use a stack of cards to adjust vta in words. Picture worths a thousand words. I will do that for you after this weekend.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tang, what about that fancy Smartrackor in the box on the floor? Did you use that for anything? I have read that it is very accurate and has different alignment curves.

The Smartractor is only for my Axiom Peter. Each of my arms happens to have its own protractor.

Tang

Hello Frank,

It is difficult for me to describe how to use a stack of cards to adjust vta in words. Picture worths a thousand words. I will do that for you after this weekend.

Kind regards,
Tang

I am looking forward to this too.

Do you have a brand name or could you please post a pic?

any cards will do. I use standard bicycle poker cards. Use the corner of the pile to wedge into the tower lift area for desired height and to keep track of how many cards you need for each cart's VTA. Makes subsequent set-up's when you change out carts fast and easy.

any cards will do. I use standard bicycle poker cards. Use the corner of the pile to wedge into the tower lift area for desired height and to keep track of how many cards you need for each cart's VTA. Makes subsequent set-up's when you change out carts fast and easy.

you gave away David's pearl of quick wisdom ;)

David uses the smaller decks for convenience because they are easy to store and come in that plastic container so the cards will always be flat with perfect edges

A few dollars on Amazon. IIRC I bought 2 sets

This also works well when changing VTA for different LPs with the same arm/cartridge. I use a mm scale, but am planning to have a machine shop make some metal spacers, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, and 0.5mm, so that I can adjust in 0.5mm increments from 16mm to 19.5mm, representing less than 1 degree of SRA with a 12" arm.

Do you guys have any tricks for getting the arm level (i.e. flat VTA) before you adjust by ear?

Yes, as suggested in the SME V manual, I use the printed parallel lines on the side of the tapered armtube of my SME V-12 arm. I measure the height of the line off of the platter at each end with an SME provided mm scale. Or one can measure from the surface of an LP. With a straight continuous section arm tube like the 3012R, one can just measure to the bottom of the tube with the arm rotated in toward the spindle measuring from the surface of the platter to the bottom (or top) of the arm tube.

I have no suggestion as to how to do it with the unmarked tapered tube of your Black Beauty arm. I suppose you could judge from the level of the headshell relative to the platter, but that is pretty short and might be inaccurate.

Last edited:
David,
I'm now using the DB Protractor which you suggests, it's a must have for SME users. What is the thing that Tang circled on the right.
It’s a gauge to measure the position of the stylus in the headshell then you attach it to the tonearm and use it in place of the cartridge to set the alignment. It’s very straightforward to use and unlike a cartridge you have 3 easy to read points of reference and nothing to damage. Working on a version for cartridges with a fixed headshell too.
david

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing