Equi~Tech vs Torus

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
For those of you with Torus units, do you hear ANY hum from the unit? Particularly for the stand-alone units that can be placed on an equipment rack?

Thanks.

My RM 15 Pluses are very quiet. You almost have to put your ear on the unit itself to hear any hum. I have heard that the equi-tech component box units have audible hum within 6' ear shot of the unit.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My RM 15 Pluses are very quiet. You almost have to put your ear on the unit itself to hear any hum. I have heard that the equi-tech component box units have audible hum within 6' ear shot of the unit.

Thanks Christian. That's good to know. My unit will be mounted in my garage so I don't expect to hear any hum but it certainly would be better if there was none.

George K

Jul 26, 2012
I am still wavering between the Torus wall mount and Equi=tech wall mount units. They accomplish noise reduction in different ways. Equi=tech has balanced power out and Torus does not. There is no way to A/B them so at some point I will have to just decide.

Both companies have been very helpful in describing their products and deciding which sized unit I need.

The Equi=tech unit is a couple thousand more expensive than the Torus so that isn't a huge consideration.

I know 2 people who switched from Equi-tech to Torus after A-B comparison.
The strong points of equitech is bass and strongpoints of Torus is more 3dimensional, open sound, more airy , better midrange and less noisy overall than equitech.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I know 2 people who switched from Equi-tech to Torus after A-B comparison.
The strong points of equitech is bass and strongpoints of Torus is more 3dimensional, open sound, more airy , better midrange and less noisy overall than equitech.

Very interesting. Were they both using the wall mount units? It may not matter, but I am just curious.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am still wavering between the Torus wall mount and Equi=tech wall mount units. They accomplish noise reduction in different ways. Equi=tech has balanced power out and Torus does not. There is no way to A/B them so at some point I will have to just decide.

Both companies have been very helpful in describing their products and deciding which sized unit I need.

The Equi=tech unit is a couple thousand more expensive than the Torus so that isn't a huge consideration.

IMHO you should have your mains diagnosed and also ask the advice of Doshi. Does Doshi Audio use mains filters in their units? Can you measure your equipment individual leakage current?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
IMHO you should have your mains diagnosed and also ask the advice of Doshi. Does Doshi Audio use mains filters in their units? Can you measure your equipment individual leakage current?

Interesting that you should say that. Nick actually reached out to me after seeing that I was looking for power conditioning assistance. How's that for customer service!

Nick really likes his equi=tech unit which is why I am rethinking this after having made the decision to get a Torus. He said he would look at the specs/technology on the Torus for me.

I am not sure how to measure the current leakage. That is not something I have ever done.

My electrician is coming next week. i am going to ask him to diagnose the mains, if he can.

Thanks.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Interesting that you should say that. Nick actually reached out to me after seeing that I was looking for power conditioning assistance. How's that for customer service!

Nick really likes his equi=tech unit which is why I am rethinking this after having made the decision to get a Torus. He said he would look at the specs/technology on the Torus for me.

I am not sure how to measure the current leakage. That is not something I have ever done.

My electrician is coming next week. i am going to ask him to diagnose the mains, if he can.

Thanks.

Sony can help us. If your equipment has ground you need a cheater plug to interrupt ground and all cables should be disconnected from the equipment being measured.

Attachments

• leakage_sony.jpg
    leakage_sony.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: jaynyc

George K

Jul 26, 2012
Very interesting. Were they both using the wall mount units? It may not matter, but I am just curious.

Both went for RM-16 European version which is equivalent of RM-30 or something in U.S.

Torus Power is actually Plitron who in the past made the torroids for equitech and now makes all the transformers for all major USA highend amplifiers manufacturers.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Both went for RM-16 European version which is equivalent of RM-30 or something in U.S.

Torus Power is actually Plitron who in the past made the torroids for equitech and now makes all the transformers for all major USA highend amplifiers manufacturers.

but was the Equi=tech a Wall Mount (10WQ, 7.5WQ, 5WQ) system? and how was the headroom (collective system rated power needs verses kva).

you can't compare the 'stand alone' boxes to the wall mount units.

Reactions: amadeus

George K

Jul 26, 2012
Better quality is reflected on each model.

If you check your unit, it is more likely that the transformer is made by Plitron aka Torus Power.
The knowhow of Torus Power (Plitron) is more advanced.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
But with both units one can't go wrong.
Both are best of the kind.

Fortunately, that has been my conclusion. Unlike other audio choices I know I will be happy with what I get.

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Torus Wall Mount Pics

Hi Torus WM owners.

I just picked up a used Torus Wall mount unit and am planning on self installing and then having my county inspector sign off on the install.
The unit appears to be straight forward to install, however I want to things to go smoothly with my inspector.

If you have an installed Torus Wall Mount, would you mind uploading a Pic of the 240V wiring and grounding as it connects to the unit?

Thanks

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Hi Torus WM owners.

I just picked up a used Torus Wall mount unit and am planning on self installing and then having my county inspector sign off on the install.
The unit appears to be straight forward to install, however I want to things to go smoothly with my inspector.

If you have an installed Torus Wall Mount, would you mind uploading a Pic of the 240V wiring and grounding as it connects to the unit?

Thanks

Respectfully, I kinda think you are doing it backwards. I strongly recommend getting a licensed electrician and your local inspector onboard with the instal first not last. Electrical codes are local. Your existing electrical system and how you instal the Torus are related. It all fits together and how someone else did there's in a different system and jurisdiction may not be relevant.

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Respectfully, I kinda think you are doing it backwards. I strongly recommend getting a licensed electrician and your local inspector onboard with the instal first not last. Electrical codes are local. Your existing electrical system and how you instal the Torus are related. It all fits together and how someone else did there's in a different system and jurisdiction may not be relevant.

i have to chime in and agree with this advice. Additionally, having a licensed electrician will also give you an opportunity to check/upgrade the ground in your location which will enhance the performance of all your gear

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
i have to chime in and agree with this advice. Additionally, having a licensed electrician will also give you an opportunity to check/upgrade the ground in your location which will enhance the performance of all your gear

This is how I plan on doing it. My electrician is coming today so he can review the specs of the torus and equi=tech and provide me with a plan.

What is the preferred approach to the ground? Nick, I know you like to use a ground strap. What else should be considered?

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
This is how I plan on doing it. My electrician is coming today so he can review the specs of the torus and equi=tech and provide me with a plan.

What is the preferred approach to the ground? Nick, I know you like to use a ground strap. What else should be considered?

The electrical setup (and room construction/acoustical setup) are the foundation of the listening experience. We all love to talk gear and this stuff is not sexy. The fact remains that all of us have electrical distribution in our houses that complies with code for safety but was built to a budget. A little attention to where the neutral bonds to ground, the number of rods used for the ground and their impedance will dictate how your system responds to noise. I would recommend having an electrician check the condition of the grounding rod (in free standing houses), if possible have them sink in a couple additional. Tie them together with good copper and build a buss bar ground at your breaker/disconnect. You can use copper ground strap to tie the ground rods to the buss if possible. Ground strap has much more surface area and therefore less impedance at higher frequencies which will provide more lightning protection and a better RF shunt. My personal preference is for balanced power. It allows for common mode cancellation in the primary of the individual equipment, separating the neutral from ground, lower shock hazard and balanced current draw. I build my gear with schurter iec inlets that have dual fuse protection and ground chokes to take advantage of balanced power where available.Additionally, in my experience, power filtering in the digital side of my audio rig has provided benefits.

Reactions: amadeus

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The electrical setup (and room construction/acoustical setup) are the foundation of the listening experience. We all love to talk gear and this stuff is not sexy. The fact remains that all of us have electrical distribution in our houses that complies with code for safety but was built to a budget. A little attention to where the neutral bonds to ground, the number of rods used for the ground and their impedance will dictate how your system responds to noise. I would recommend having an electrician check the condition of the grounding rod (in free standing houses), if possible have them sink in a couple additional. Tie them together with good copper and build a buss bar ground at your breaker/disconnect. You can use copper ground strap to tie the ground rods to the buss if possible. Ground strap has much more surface area and therefore less impedance at higher frequencies which will provide more lightning protection and a better RF shunt. My personal preference is for balanced power. It allows for common mode cancellation in the primary of the individual equipment, separating the neutral from ground, lower shock hazard and balanced current draw. I build my gear with schurter iec inlets that have dual fuse protection and ground chokes to take advantage of balanced power where available.Additionally, in my experience, power filtering in the digital side of my audio rig has provided benefits.

Perfect. I will print this out for my electrician.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

pretty much how I've done it. the number and size of the ground rods relates to ground resistance and soil PH conditions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing