I know this old arm is good but I don’t know why David,Rockitman,Tang,Ron,Mike
Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
any cards will do. I use standard bicycle poker cards. Use the corner of the pile to wedge into the tower lift area for desired height and to keep track of how many cards you need for each cart's VTA. Makes subsequent set-up's when you change out carts fast and easy.

Christian used much lesser than a thousand words. Arghhh.

Some of you may have seen this but for those that have not who wonder why audiophiles get obsessive about very small changes in VTA/SRA, may find the article of interest.
https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_e.html

Thank you miniguy. I read the article. I did not find the answer to "why audiophiles get obsessive about very small changes in VTA/SRA." However, I do think it is because they can hear the difference.

I do find it interesting that Tang wrote that David went back and adjusted VTA not less than a dozen times before he was satisfied.

" I would say the total distance he walked back and forth from tt to listening seat was probably about one kilometer for one cart setup. Just the vta alone we did no less than a dozen times on the AtlasSL. A total learning experience for me."

Thank you miniguy. I read the article. I did not find the answer to "why audiophiles get obsessive about very small changes in VTA/SRA." However, I do think it is because they can hear the difference.

I do find it interesting that Tang wrote that David went back and adjusted VTA not less than a dozen times before he was satisfied.

" I would say the total distance he walked back and forth from tt to listening seat was probably about one kilometer for one cart setup. Just the vta alone we did no less than a dozen times on the AtlasSL. A total learning experience for me."

I should have more appropriately stated, “...audiophiles who wonder about the audibility of very small changes in VTA/SRA.”
Obviously, some ears are better than others.

Here is what Christian was describing how to use a stack of cards to adjust the vta. The SME doesn’t has height scale. Counting cards is simple smart.

F5E8BB3F-D4C3-4510-B06A-4C85F2582C2C.jpg

Tang

Here is what Christian was describing how to use a stack of cards to adjust the vta. The SME doesn’t has height scale. Counting cards is simple smart.

Tang

Dear Mr. Tang,

Now you killed me. Probably more than ten cards are needed... Should I go back to the books or go digital? :)

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 158
Dear Mr. Tang,

Now you killed me. Probably more than ten cards are needed... Should I go back to the books or go digital? :)

Dear Micro,

Depending on the thickness of your cards. Given the deck we were using. It was up to 46 cards I believe. Going up or down 4 cards gives more noticeable differences to see which way you want to go. One by one is for fine tune. Ddk is teaching a card trick to a system owner of Kondo/Living Voice and Dartz/TOL WAMM right now.

Kind regards,
Tang

Mighty impressive
If I am lucky hope to be in your den soon
Pradeep

Dear Pradeep,

Picture does make me look pretty cool :cool:...but the actual sound could be just crap :D.
Hope we have an opportunity to meet Sir.

@Microstrip. New WAMM sir.

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Micro,

Depending on the thickness of your cards. Given the deck we were using. It was up to 46 cards I believe. Going up or down 4 cards gives more noticeable differences to see which way you want to go. One by one is for fine tune. Ddk is teaching a card trick to a system owner of Kondo/Living Voice and Dartz/TOL WAMM right now.

Kind regards,
Tang

Cards are also used to keep track of arm board height which you can control. If you don’t want the pivot tower too high (many cards for VTA) raise the arm board up a bit and lower the SME pivot/VTA tower.

Cards are also used to keep track of arm board height which you can control. If you don’t want the pivot tower too high (many cards for VTA) raise the arm board up a bit and lower the SME pivot/VTA tower.

Do you realign the cartridge every time you change the VTA / pivot tower?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing