Totaldac Reference D1

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Guys thanks fot all of this information!
I guess it will also depend on the pre-power combo that i will choose and budget
I have 2 rigs in my mind for 2 different budgets.
Rig 1 : Ypsilon PST 100 Mk2 + Aelius ll monos + Totaldac Twelve 4 units with d1-server.
Rig 2 : T+A PA3100HV + PS3000HV + Totaldac Seven 2 units with d1-server.

Guys take it easy i just listed 2 brands i like nothing more.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
One other aspect to take into account is the fact that i live in France therefore service and upgrades with Totaldac will be easier.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Your Welcome in France, me too. houhou.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi Thieliste,
hard to answer if 10k worth the investment !. i'm an owner of Seven with server & USB Gigafilter and i Know, also very well the Twelve so yes there is a difference but the Seven is a onebox dac world reference which has the most DNA of Twelve. And notice that a Seven can always be upgraded to Twelve !!!

I'm french guy too and since 8 months i'm the really lucky owner of the kind of Totaldac system you listened in Paris or in Berlin next year, with d1-Server/Seven, Absolare signature amp and the d150 Totaldac speakers + sub... and the musical result is just stunning !

Be well in music

Do you have have a reclocker option in your Seven - d1 server combo ?

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
I would pitch the Kassandra Ref II against the twelve TBH. The gain stage in the Kassandra is one of the many things that takes it to a higher level. It is more dynamic and solid / fuller than the Twelve, more body but still super smooth and with a fantastic timbre. I would try and get to hear it if possible before you drop 30K on the twelve. :rolleyes:

The SE version of the Twelve has a gain stage that is quite exemplary from what I have heard from Vincent, but I cannot comment on its sound personally. The Twelve omitting the extra gain stage is special in its own right. It is hard to beat it for transparency when using a good preamp. I encourage anyone to hear the Twelve in their system. It is a big improvement over the Six.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The SE version of the Twelve has a gain stage that is quite exemplary from what I have heard from Vincent, but I cannot comment on its sound personally. The Twelve omitting the extra gain stage is special in its own right. It is hard to beat it for transparency when using a good preamp. I encourage anyone to hear the Twelve in their system. It is a big improvement over the Six.

Agree!
Six cannot come close to the Twelve, and not even a Seven can do so as well.

I guess the gain stage of Seven may be tickled-down from that of Twelve SE?

BTW I have carefully listened to Twelve SE twice, comparing kicking on & off its gain stage.
I personally like the sound without the gain stage more. It's so effortless and real!

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Agree!

BTW I have carefully listened to Twelve SE twice, comparing kicking on & off its gain stage.
I personally like the sound without the gain stage more. It's so effortless and real!

I would rather use a good preamp like the Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 therefore no need for the SE version.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I would rather use a good preamp like the Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 therefore no need for the SE version.

Hello Thieliste and all other WBF brothers,

Totaldac's new D-Driver line amp was debuted at the Munich 2018 Show.

What's your impression?
Any further info?
Thanks!

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
Agree!

Only Vincent can answer about the Seven and the D1 Driver at this time. I do not know anybody else that has the Driver. I do not have the SE version of the Twelve. Just the Twelve, and I have no desire to try the SE version. :) I like the Twelve with my preamp.

I would like more info about the 5 in one chassis power supply!

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Do you have have a reclocker option in your Seven - d1 server combo ?

I have a two-box source and the d1-server get a reclocker inside.

The d1-seven is a very serious improvment of the d1-six, so it approaches naturally more the Twelve but obviously without reaching all that kind of magic proper to its constructions but don't forget, one more time, this is another of the great qualities of these devices, the seven and all totaldacs can be upgraded to the d1-twelve !

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I have a two-box source and the d1-server get a reclocker inside.

The d1-seven is a very serious improvment of the d1-six, so it approaches naturally more the Twelve but obviously without reaching all that kind of magic proper to its constructions but don't forget, one more time, this is another of the great qualities of these devices, the seven and all totaldacs can be upgraded to the d1-twelve !

Ok thanks BF38, indeed it might be wise to start with the Seven and upgrade to the Twelve later on.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Only Vincent can answer about the Seven and the D1 Driver at this time. I do not know anybody else that has the Driver. I do not have the SE version of the Twelve. Just the Twelve, and I have no desire to try the SE version. :) I like the Twelve with my preamp.

I would like more info about the 5 in one chassis power supply!

Hello Paul79,

I got my Totaldac Twelve SE (I prefer without the output stage) late 2017 with the 5 output power supply. I find it very convenient that I had to purchase only one power cable. I did not compare it with 5 separate small boxes, but I suppose they have the same quality otherwise Vincent wouldn't do it. Having the one-box power supply also saves space and allows me to put it on my SRA Scuttle mk.3 rack, which makes a difference.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/795

Cheers,

VPN

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello Paul79,
I got my Totaldac Twelve SE (I prefer without the output stage) late 2017 with the 5 output power supply. I find it very convenient that I had to purchase only one power cable. I did not compare it with 5 separate small boxes, but I suppose they have the same quality otherwise Vincent wouldn't do it. Having the one-box power supply also saves space and allows me to put it on my SRA Scuttle mk.3 rack, which makes a difference.
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/795
Cheers,
VPN

Hello VPN,
You have an awesome system!
Will the coming Innuos Statement be your next target? :)

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello CKKeung,

Thank you very much! I enjoy reading your posts and advice!

My next upgrades will be:

a) Two Kubala Realization power cords for my Krell 750mcx monoblocks. I should have them this week.

b) Upgrade my Totaldac Twelve AES-EBU cables from Kubala Elation to Echole Omnia.

c) The Totaldac Server is composed of a minimalistic server that connects to a reclocker located in the same box through an USB cable (I am using the Totaldac Gigafilter USB cable). The The Server reclocker output then connects to the Totaldac Twelve DAC through an AES-EBU cable. After I get the Echole Omnia AES-EBU cables I will decide if I prefer: (a) The USB output of the Totaldac Server internal server, so using the Innuos SE as a NAS (I use the Totaldac Ethernet cable) or (b) The USB output of the Innuos SE entering the Totaldac Server USB input of its internal reclocker. If I prefer (b), then the Innuos Statement may make sense (or perhaps the upgraded SGM server that will be released). If I prefer (a) and use the Innuos only as NAS, I will probably keep the Innuos SE since the upgrades to the Innuos Statement USB board would not be used.

Cheers,

VPN

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello CKKeung,
Thank you very much! I enjoy reading your posts and advice!

My next upgrades will be:
a) Two Kubala Realization power cords for my Krell 750mcx monoblocks. I should have them this week.
b) Upgrade my Totaldac Twelve AES-EBU cables from Kubala Elation to Echole Omnia.

c) The Totaldac Server is composed of a minimalistic server that connects to a reclocker located in the same box through an USB cable (I am using the Totaldac Gigafilter USB cable). The The Server reclocker output then connects to the Totaldac Twelve DAC through an AES-EBU cable. After I get the Echole Omnia AES-EBU cables I will decide if I prefer: (a) The USB output of the Totaldac Server internal server, so using the Innuos SE as a NAS (I use the Totaldac Ethernet cable) or (b) The USB output of the Innuos SE entering the Totaldac Server USB input of its internal reclocker. If I prefer (b), then the Innuos Statement may make sense (or perhaps the upgraded SGM server that will be released). If I prefer (a) and use the Innuos only as NAS, I will probably keep the Innuos SE since the upgrades to the Innuos Statement USB board would not be used.
Cheers,
VPN

Hello VPN,

Thanks for your kind words.

KS Realization Series cables are very good stuff!

A few humble thoughts on your upgrades :
1) Probably Innuos Statement as a server will win.
2) I got some insider info of the coming SGMS flagship server. It will be even more awesome than the Innuos Statement!
3) Vincent offers an upgrade option for his Totaldac Server+Reclocker : an separate ext psu for the server section. It's very effective.
4) The Totaldac ethernet cable is outclassed by the other components of your fabulous system. You should consider using a Vertere HB ethernet cable or even better, the Dalby Audio Meda ethernet cable.
5) For usb cables suitable for your system, please consider the KS Realization or Vertere HB.

Happy Hunting!
And please update us of your adventure!
Many thanks!

CK

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello CKKeung,

Thank you for your advice. I really welcome your input.

Regarding each point:

"KS Realization Series cables are very good stuff!". The upgrade of speaker cables from Elation to Realization and preamp power cable from Elation to Realization were indeed big improvements. KS Realization is great.

"1) Probably Innuos Statement as a server will win.
2) I got some insider info of the coming SGMS flagship server. It will be even more awesome than the Innuos Statement!" I guess we will have to wait for somebody to hear them both in the same system, to know for sure (for that person and system) which is better.

"3) Vincent offers an upgrade option for his Totaldac Server+Reclocker : an separate ext psu for the server section. It's very effective." My Totaldac Server, purchased late 2017, already has this upgrade.

"4) The Totaldac ethernet cable is outclassed by the other components of your fabulous system. You should consider using a Vertere HB ethernet cable or even better, the Dalby Audio Meda ethernet cable.". Thank you for the advice.

"5) For usb cables suitable for your system, please consider the KS Realization or Vertere HB." Thank you. I heard great things about the KS Realization USB, I will try to hear it in my system.

Cheers,

VPN

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing