Speaker Outriggers - Sources - What would/do you use?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all,

I'm currently looking for some speaker/crossover enclosure outriggers and I have researched into a sprinkling here and there of different options. What I'd like to ask of you is your knowledge of any suppliers or companies that offer speaker outriggers for a rather heavy speaker [estimated 160-170 lbs. each] and a pair of external crossover enclosures that will weigh anywhere between 40-60 pounds each. I've dwindled around the thought that I might go custom with these but it looks like some are offered at a price point to where I could concentrate my valuable time on other things.

What do you use for outriggers?
Were they custom built?
How well does the outrigger clamp to the speaker base?
Can you adjust the outrigger spikes from the top, instead of leaning the speaker to adjust them?

This thread is an open discussion about all things outrigger. If you have a thought, insight, observations or something that you have encountered with regards to outriggers on a speaker, please feel free to chime in with your negative or positive experiences/observations. These outriggers will ultimately be placed on a pair of Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Series loudspeakers and a custom crossover enclosure. Any advice, manufactures, links or comments are welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you have a good day.

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Tom,

I've helped equip DB-99s and VR-44s (your weight range) with outriggers from www.soundocity.com. They are fastened with bolts to the out riggers. You will need to ask your speaker manufacturer for the thread pattern of your speakers. Soundocity will then provide the bolts or you can just get some at your nearest hardware store.

The flatbases by Trackaudio UK are definitely lookers, easily adjustable from the side with a supplied tool and has a built in bubble level. They may be ordered with holes to which you could again bolt/couple your speakers directly or simply blu-tack your speakers on.

Critical Mass Systems is working on outriggers with either RiZE pods (Neumatic/Elbow combo) feet or CMS's titanium spikes and aircraft aluminum cross bars found in their racks). Not sure when exactly these will be available. Target is summer 2013.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Tom-Assuming your speakers currently have four threaded inserts on the bottom of them, I have the answer to your outrigger dreams. Please post if you do have threaded inserts on the bottom of your speakers before I go through the trouble to show you some magic.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Tom

your project seems to be taking on wings

Was there a pun intended with that? :D Ohhhhhh, If you only knew. ;) I'm having a blast and the current plans have FAR exceeded what was originally slated. When I have some time, I'll update the other thread and fill you all in on what's going on.

Thanks Jack and Mark for chiming in. I will be researching your suggestions tonight, Jack. I appreciate your suggestions. Mark, I did read the thread you had made about your experiences with the ones you had ordered for IIRC, a little over $200 or something like that. I do have threaded inserts on my speakers. I believe that they are currently 1/4-20 but at this point in the game, I wouldn't doubt myself making custom bases for the speakers as well. I'm currently in discussions with a race shop [of all things] in making me a custom set of outriggers for both the speakers and the crossover enclosures and it's looking good so far but I'm still exploring my options and different design techniques at this point.

Do tell. :)

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Never mind. We are going completely custom with regards to this after further review. Thanks for looking and I do appreciate the time you guys took to respond. Much appreciated.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing