DIY tube tester

Joe Lebowski

Mar 14, 2013
Belgium
Hi folks,

I am currently (trying to) design a computer controlled tube tester. My first goals is to do a bunch of tests on double triode tubes like the 12A*7 family. I only recently started with this, and so far only have my transconductance test up and running. I can now read out the values for gm for both triodes.

Now I would like to implement an emission tester, but I am having trouble understanding how this test is best performed. In the case of the 12AX7 tube, I would have to connect the grid to the plate and connect the cathode to the ground to make the tube function as a diode. That I understand. So now I am wondering: 1) which voltage should be applied to the plate+grid? 2)When I then measure the plate current, which value do I use to compare it with?

Also, as I am programming the user interface in a computer program that is able to perform frequency analysis on the measured data, I was thinking of doing some sort of test for example to find relevant disturbances within the audio range, decreased gain response at certain frequencies etc… Does anyone have experience with frequency related phenomena in old/bad tubes?

Please excuse me if these are stupid questions.. I am relatively new to the vacuum tube world ::eek:

Any help, advice, reference to a good book,… would be very much appreciated! If you would like to know more about my project, don’t hesitate to ask me!

Lebowski

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
An emission tester, as you refer will allow you to get the characteristic curve of the diode like device you obtain connecting the grid or grids to the plate. As far as I know the test has very low reliability, is highly misleading and you have to create your own tables.

Longtime ago I found a reference to a technique to study tube aging looking for tube parameters at reduced filament voltage. I think it was in a UK article written before the war for the post-office services. I have been looking since then for references to these measurements but could not find anything that I could use. This would be a useful test.

The old newsgroup rec.audio.tube has a lot of good information on building a tube tester - the RAT tube tester. See it at:
http://triodeel.com/tester.htm

Joe Lebowski

Mar 14, 2013
Belgium
Thank you for your kind reply!

About the emission tester: I have read about the emission measuring method you mentioned. I have also found a small table with the combined anode-grid voltages that should be used, and the current value to compare your own measurement with. For an 12AX7 -according to this table- the combined anode-grid voltage should be 25V and the ideal anode current that results from this would be 50mA. They also mention that this test should be only performed for a maximum of 3 seconds, to not damage the tube. Honestly, I find it difficult to believe that a 12AX7 tube would not be damaged by a 3 second emission of 50mA. I would think that the cathode would boiled by this test. Any thoughts on this?

Would it be possible to do this test by connecting the grid and the cathode to ground, so that the bias is 0V, and then applying for example 100V to the anode, and measure the anode current? Because then one could easily compare the measured current to the 'ideal' current on the Va-Ia curve @ OV bias. Do you think this value could be representative?

About the reduced filament voltage test: I have indeed heard 'stories' about this, but have found no references at all to this test method. I decided to test a couple of new and old 12AX7 tubes for transconductance at reduced heater voltages (8 values between 4.8V and 6.9V). The result for every tube were surprisingly linear (so no sudden drops in transconductance at lowered voltages). All I know about the old tubes is that they were at least 40 years old, and have been used and replaced. I will look into this with greater detail. It would be great if anyone could provide me with a reference, advice or experience about this test method!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing