AudiogoN Alternatives - The Master List

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
STOP - WIRE TRANSFERS CAN BE COMPROMISED.
Do NOT assume that once the wire is in your account that you are free & clear. There is a lot of dirt in bank policies [fine print] that can come back to haunt.

If I was to accept a large "wire" transfer I would:
#1 Have it enter an account that had minimal money, and I had no other accounts at that bank.
#2 I would get in >>>writing<<< from a bank officer that the money had CLEARED.
#3 I would then take the amount of "wired" money in GREEN [multi-color with strips] CASH and go to an unrelated bank to deposit [or give it to my wife :D].
#4 Only then would I ship.

It is HELL out there,
zz.
If you did this, you would likely need to hire me when the FBI comes a calling. :D By setting up an account just to accept wires and then pulling all of it out immediately after it hits, you look pretty guilty of a crime. :eek:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
fyi: The FBI does not handle wire transfer fraud, its the Secret Service.
All federal law enforcement agencies handle wire fraud. I just happened to mention the FBI.

You are correct that the SS handles most stuff to do with identity fraud and currency fraud.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
If you did this, you would likely need to hire me when the FBI comes a calling. :D By setting up an account just to accept wires and then pulling all of it out immediately after it hits, you look pretty guilty of a crime. :eek:

Maybe I will have to hire you, but I set my sights extremely high. I have been looking for a Cube Truck totally packed with hundred $ bills & flawless diamonds [keys in the ignition would be nice] - maybe one is parked in that Dallas - Highland[?] neighborhood.

I have been audited so, so many times. One time I had to pay a few hundred $, but all the other times the IRS ended up owing me money. My accountants & I are always extremely conservative. But - KNOCK ON WOOD many times.

My personal solution after small overseas disasters - I do not buy overseas.

zz.

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Hello WBF members and good afternoon to you. Well, we all know by now that the 'gone has repeatedly been digging their own grave since their "upgrade" last year. The prices have gone up and the number of hits have gone down. Folks around the globe visiting the 'gone have dwindled to a rather consistent 1/2 of what it used to be prior to the upgrade. I think by now that we all know why, so I won't get into all of that.

Below is a master list of all of the active Audiogone alternatives I have ran across to date. I didn't include Craigslist or E-Bay because CL is not only IME mostly junk but is also geographically challenged. Also, not much high end gear lists on E-Bay, although we know that it can be a great source for music. What I would like is to start a master list that is gathered from all of our collective knowledge that you ladies and gentlemen would consider an alternative to the 'gone.

At this point, even if it is a "start-up" site trying to get it's feet up off the ground? Please mention it. You never know, that one could end up being the next AudiogoN. Here's what I have so far;

https://exchange.positive-feedback.com/
http://www.audiomart.com
www.audiotechindustries.com
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/
http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/buysell2/yabb.pl
http://www.myaudioshop.com/
http://www.soundoffers.com/
http://www.usaudiomart.com/
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forumd...e-Trading-Post - Scroll down to the 4th from the bottom forum.
http://www.higherfi.com/audio_speakers/1 [dealer/consignments]

http://www.hifishark.com/ - Search engine for used gear -Searches 99 sites simultaneously.

*www.audiomarkt.de [click the UK/USA flag in the main page to read in English] - *Added note: please be aware that any one can reply to advertisements, even non members and there may be a few fraudulent advertisements. Caveat Emptor.

Any new links to AudiogoN alternatives will be added to this post as time marches on. If you have one to add to the list, please specify whether or not there is a fee associated with browsing over the listings. This is not limited to the USA or Canada, any and all world-wide AG alternatives are welcome. Thanks for looking and thank you in advance for any other suggestions you may have to offer.

Tom

I'd like to suggest that if you would like to help enlarge this hobby, and can afford to do so, you should consider giving things away, not selling or charging for transfer of ownership at all. I've used this method many times recently and it seems to get younger people involved or more interested in higher-end audio than they would ever have become without such an opportunity.

Even if you end up giving your stuff to someone who is a "private dealer," you still help others acquire items at bargain prices when they are re-sold. That dealer will tend to let your item go for less money than he otherwise would because he got it for free.

No, this altruism is not tax deductible, but if you get a good feeling from giving to charity, you will get an even better feeling giving something to a fellow audiophile, budding audiophile, music lover, or even nascent any of those, knowing that you are not directly benefiting financially from the transaction. I am fortunate to have had enough money to have pursued this hobby for 50 years now and will continue to pursue it. But I realize that many folks struggle to pay even used prices for high quality audio gear and that there are so many competing hobbies and interests around these high-tech days which compete for disposable income dollars. I'm in the financial position now where I can afford to help others acquire things which could help them experience a quality of musical reproduction they might never encounter otherwise. I figure that I have enjoyed these items for years now and it is time to share that enjoyment with others who might otherwise never embark on this path.

Sure, you can give stuff to your friends, if you like, or loan/exchange items with them for awhile, if not permanently. There is nothing wrong with that.

But you know that many of your friends are either already deeply into this hobby, or have not the slightest interest in it. I like the "random acts of kindness to strangers" involved in giving stuff away, which "random acts" could help others have a new-found transcendental music appreciation experience, and giving things away to friends does not usually involve that aspect.

I have found that the local Craigslist (in my case Craigslist Chicago) and local Offer Up are two websites which allow me to move along no longer needed items at my convenience, usually on the same day as I list them. One recent weekend, I gave away three sets of speakers, an AVR, and a Blu-ray player all to folks who responded to my ads within minutes and picked the items up the same day.

If you cannot justify actually giving things away, then, alternatively, you could consider selling items for well under their used-market value. I've done this for years as well and you can be assured of appreciative buyers and lightning quick sales. I have had good experiences via Audiogon, eBay, and Craigslist doing this, both where local buyers are concerned and where the items had to be shipped.

We all worry that our hobby is disappearing as the baby boomers die out. That would be a shame. Consider doing your part to light the musical enjoyment fires of a new generation of audiophiles and music lovers.

Reactions: Nascimento

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
There is a UK site www.pinkfishmedia.net which is quite good.
More budget/midfi than highend but highend kit does come up and there are separate sections for trade and private sellers.
Usual rules of due diligence apply but only people with 50 posts on the forum allowed to advertise.
Some years ago I found a Naim 552 on it and the transaction was trouble free.

Reactions: Tim F

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Nice write up tmallin. :) Barry, can one purchase immediately on pink fish media or do they have to have 50 posts to purchase as well?

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
tmallin - I've been doing this for decades. Most of the gear I've ever owned I've donated to someone or priced well below market value to those I felt would truly appreciate it, and they have. I also give away media quite often. I'm not rich or even well-off, but giving brings me a lot of joy. A highly recommended endeavor!:)

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
tmallin - I've been doing this for decades. Most of the gear I've ever owned I've donated to someone or priced well below market value to those I felt would truly appreciate it, and they have. I also give away media quite often. I'm not rich or even well-off, but giving brings me a lot of joy. A highly recommended endeavor!:)

My experience is as yours - giving brings great joy to both parties.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
i can personally say Andrew S is true to his words...his sales r ridiculously cheap....he's a good man to know :)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
totally agree...when i left England i gave all my hifi away for free :) don't regret for a minute !
I'd like to suggest that if you would like to help enlarge this hobby, and can afford to do so, you should consider giving things away, not selling or charging for transfer of ownership at all. I've used this method many times recently and it seems to get younger people involved or more interested in higher-end audio than they would ever have become without such an opportunity.

Even if you end up giving your stuff to someone who is a "private dealer," you still help others acquire items at bargain prices when they are re-sold. That dealer will tend to let your item go for less money than he otherwise would because he got it for free.

No, this altruism is not tax deductible, but if you get a good feeling from giving to charity, you will get an even better feeling giving something to a fellow audiophile, budding audiophile, music lover, or even nascent any of those, knowing that you are not directly benefiting financially from the transaction. I am fortunate to have had enough money to have pursued this hobby for 50 years now and will continue to pursue it. But I realize that many folks struggle to pay even used prices for high quality audio gear and that there are so many competing hobbies and interests around these high-tech days which compete for disposable income dollars. I'm in the financial position now where I can afford to help others acquire things which could help them experience a quality of musical reproduction they might never encounter otherwise. I figure that I have enjoyed these items for years now and it is time to share that enjoyment with others who might otherwise never embark on this path.

Sure, you can give stuff to your friends, if you like, or loan/exchange items with them for awhile, if not permanently. There is nothing wrong with that.

But you know that many of your friends are either already deeply into this hobby, or have not the slightest interest in it. I like the "random acts of kindness to strangers" involved in giving stuff away, which "random acts" could help others have a new-found transcendental music appreciation experience, and giving things away to friends does not usually involve that aspect.

I have found that the local Craigslist (in my case Craigslist Chicago) and local Offer Up are two websites which allow me to move along no longer needed items at my convenience, usually on the same day as I list them. One recent weekend, I gave away three sets of speakers, an AVR, and a Blu-ray player all to folks who responded to my ads within minutes and picked the items up the same day.

If you cannot justify actually giving things away, then, alternatively, you could consider selling items for well under their used-market value. I've done this for years as well and you can be assured of appreciative buyers and lightning quick sales. I have had good experiences via Audiogon, eBay, and Craigslist doing this, both where local buyers are concerned and where the items had to be shipped.

We all worry that our hobby is disappearing as the baby boomers die out. That would be a shame. Consider doing your part to light the musical enjoyment fires of a new generation of audiophiles and music lovers.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

US AudioList

VIP/Donor
Apr 11, 2017
Hello everyone and thank you so much Steve for your warm welcoming and mentioning US AudioList to all the members here. US AudioList will help audio fans and audiophiles buying and selling gear at a reasonable cost. Listing your items are FREE and if your items sold we only ask for only 1% but at Maximum $129. If you sold a $2000 item we would only get $20. If your item not sold then you lose nothing unlike some sites that will charge you Listing fees. This very small 1% fee will help with the cost to run and maintain the site. If anyone has any question please ask. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Thank you sir. Added it to the list.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing