alternative for transparent reference MM2

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am currently using a transparent reference MM2 interconnect (between MSB dac to Class A poweramp) and speaker cable.

However, I just inserting a preamp (ARC Ref5SE) into my system and after 2 minutes of listening cold out of the box, I'm pretty sure I will keep it. The upshot is I will need an extra pair of interconnects. As a matter of principle, I only buy cables used since I refuse to take a 50% depreciation hit on an item with 90% margin. Unfortunately, an additional pair of transparent MM2 (I need 1.5m XLR) is unlikel to show up used anytime soon, and besides I have to get them matched to my gear, which will set me back another $1K.

So I am considering selling my Transparent interconnects and get two pairs of a different brand. I am looking for a mainstream highly respected brand, with a good used market. Target price range is $2000 used per pair. Some alternatives are:

Wireworld Platinum Eclipse
Kimber KS 1136
Tara labs
Shunyata Zitron Anaconda (I can get these brand new with good dealer discount which makes this an option as well)

Has anyone compared these cables with the Transparent MM2? Any other contenders I should be considering?

How about (temporarily) mixing cables? I can keep my transparents and insert another cable (may be until a used MM2 shows up).

Note: I still have a pair of the old transparents (pre MM series) that I am currently using, so I am not exactly desparate. I am just inquiring what to look out for reasonably priced used, so I can try out if something shows up.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
This may seem outside of your criterion but I recently replaced my Transparent cabling with Found Music interconnects and am very happy with the results. You are able to audition in your system before buying.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
edorr,

I never liked Transparent's interconnects or speaker cables. Too veiled for my liking. I'm using Kubala-Sosna Elation for both, but I kept a pair of MM2s power cables, which are outstanding.

alexandre

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations on a great amplifier. Can I ask what are your speakers? I also prefer to use the same brand and model of signal and speaker cable in all the system - most specially with Transparent Audio.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am currently using a transparent reference MM2 interconnect (between MSB dac to Class A poweramp) and speaker cable.

However, I just inserting a preamp (ARC Ref5SE) into my system and after 2 minutes of listening cold out of the box, I'm pretty sure I will keep it. The upshot is I will need an extra pair of interconnects. As a matter of principle, I only buy cables used since I refuse to take a 50% depreciation hit on an item with 90% margin. Unfortunately, an additional pair of transparent MM2 (I need 1.5m XLR) is unlikel to show up used anytime soon, and besides I have to get them matched to my gear, which will set me back another $1K.

So I am considering selling my Transparent interconnects and get two pairs of a different brand. I am looking for a mainstream highly respected brand, with a good used market. Target price range is $2000 used per pair. Some alternatives are:

Wireworld Platinum Eclipse
Kimber KS 1136
Tara labs
Shunyata Zitron Anaconda (I can get these brand new with good dealer discount which makes this an option as well)

Has anyone compared these cables with the Transparent MM2? Any other contenders I should be considering?

How about (temporarily) mixing cables? I can keep my transparents and insert another cable (may be until a used MM2 shows up).

Note: I still have a pair of the old transparents (pre MM series) that I am currently using, so I am not exactly desparate. I am just inquiring what to look out for reasonably priced used, so I can try out if something shows up.
Nice system...+1 on Micro's question...what class A poweramp? Also, congrats on Ref 5 se and MSB...Very interesting feedback on using the pre as well with msb. Good to know. Enjoy!

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I tested many different cables and use many in my 2 systems.
In my opinion Transparent is overpriced and nothing special.
Speaker cable is OK but 4x cheaper new Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron Speaker sound near the same...4x cheaper.
IC by Transparent are worst, low resolution, weak high frequences and big price.
New line of Shunyata Z-Tron IC are much better and...8x cheaper!! I tested Anaconda IC and Python IC, both Z-Tron
and the same level, in my system Python sounds even better than Anaconda IC.
The best IC in this price level, better than any Transparent even Reference MM(MM2).

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
No one can say what is the best cabling. It's all system and taste dependent. That said, how much more can plain old straight wire offer other than differing metallurgy, dielectric, winding and gauge. There is no re-inventing of the wheel. It's all about impedance and inductance matching. That said, if your looking for cable nirvana, you owe it to yourself to try MIT Oracle network style solutions for the speaker cable especially.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Congratulations on a great amplifier. Can I ask what are your speakers? I also prefer to use the same brand and model of signal and speaker cable in all the system - most specially with Transparent Audio.

I bought Mike Lavigne's old Evolution Acoustics MM3s.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I bought Mike Lavigne's old Evolution Acoustics MM3s.

i switched from Transparent Opus MM2 speaker cables to Evolution Acoustics speaker cables. at first i had the DRSC (Double run speaker cables) which i thought were equal but different than the TA Opus MM2's. later i upgraded to the TRSC (triple run speaker cables) which were markedly better.

i had already been using the Evolution Acoustics interconnects. however, they are the 'zeel' BNC type cables. as good as my 1.5m Opus MM2 RCA's were the Evolution Acoustics interconnects were better.

i did all this using your speakers.

the only negative about EA cables is the time to get them. Kevin has to put any cables in line behind all the speakers on order. they are reasonably priced for the performance relative to anything else i've heard.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Speaker cable is OK but 4x cheaper new Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron Speaker sound near the same...4x cheaper.
IC by Transparent are worst, low resolution, weak high frequences and big price.
New line of Shunyata Z-Tron IC are much better and...8x cheaper!! I tested Anaconda IC and Python IC, both Z-Tron
The best IC in this price level, better than any Transparent even Reference MM(MM2).

I don't understand your mulitpliers, because the Anaconda Zitron 1m XLR are 2250 and the Reference MM2 is 4500, so that is double, not 4x. Of course, you can spend more on Reference MM, XL and Opus....

Nonetheless, You got me thinking here. I can get brand new Zitron's at a price I can resell them at without loss, so basically I can do in home audition with no risk. I will probably order 2 pairs of Anacondas and compare them against the Transparents, and keep what I like.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
edorr,

I never liked Transparent's interconnects or speaker cables. Too veiled for my liking. I'm using Kubala-Sosna Elation for both, but I kept a pair of MM2s power cables, which are outstanding.

alexandre

Hi I am not disputing your findings...but what models where you using? They have a extensive line up and a few versions over the years. The latest MM2 versions...especially as you move up to the Ref, Ref XL, Ref MM and Opus are among the best cable in the world. Also, I've heard of quite of few folks trying these cables and didn't have them tuning to the right equipment...this can make a for poor outcome...

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I tested Z-Tron Python and Anaconda IC and in my systems both were the same or! cheaper Python sounds a little better.
Transparent Reference MM(MM2) one model lower than Opus has retail price 13000$, Python Z-Tron which sounds better(in my opinion) has retail price 1500$
so it is 8x cheaper.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi I am not disputing your findings...but what models where you using? They have a extensive line up and a few versions over the years. The latest MM2 versions...especially as you move up to the Ref, Ref XL, Ref MM and Opus are among the best cable in the world. Also, I've heard of quite of few folks trying these cables and didn't have them tuning to the right equipment...this can make a for poor outcome...

Jfrech,

Our perception of cables quality are system and room dependent. As you say, in the appropriate system the MM2 Transparent Audio REF and OPUS are really exceptional. However the need to tune the cables when you change equipment can be a nuisance if you live outside the US. But every time I had a pair of Wilson speakers at home the Transparent's were big winners. Their cables are a system - if you want to go the TA way in phases you should ask their advice. Just putting a random single TA cable in your system is not the proper way.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Jfrech,

Our perception of cables quality are system and room dependent. As you say, in the appropriate system the MM2 Transparent Audio REF and OPUS are really exceptional. However the need to tune the cables when you change equipment can be a nuisance if you live outside the US. But every time I had a pair of Wilson speakers at home the Transparent's were big winners. Their cables are a system - if you want to go the TA way in phases you should ask their advice. Just putting a random single TA cable in your system is not the proper way.

Thenagain, I asked Transparent about the tuning (I bought two pairs used), and they said the differences are small and a random reference MM2 cables will work fine with any piece of equipment. Nonetheless, if I stick with Transparent, I will get a third IC and get the whole batch tuned at some point.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I tested Z-Tron Python and Anaconda IC and in my systems both were the same or! cheaper Python sounds a little better.
Transparent Reference MM(MM2) one model lower than Opus has retail price 13000$, Python Z-Tron which sounds better(in my opinion) has retail price 1500$
so it is 8x cheaper.

I'm convinced about giving it a try. Trying to work out a deal with the dealer for 2 x anaconda IC and 1 x python powercord, for a shootout against my Transparent Reference.

Hell, I even just bought a used cable cooker. Can't take any risk with uncooked cables these days.....

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
In power cords Anaconda Z-Tron is better than Python Z-Tron but in IC XLR in my systems not.
Maybe becouse Python IC has shielding and Anaconda IC has no shielding to be faster and more open
but i didn't hear it. Try both.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
In power cords Anaconda Z-Tron is better than Python Z-Tron but in IC XLR in my systems not.
Maybe becouse Python IC has shielding and Anaconda IC has no shielding to be faster and more open
but i didn't hear it. Try both.

Thanks. I'll try to get my hands on a two pairs of anaconda and python so I can hear for myself.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
i switched from Transparent Opus MM2 speaker cables to Evolution Acoustics speaker cables. at first i had the DRSC (Double run speaker cables) which i thought were equal but different than the TA Opus MM2's. later i upgraded to the TRSC (triple run speaker cables) which were markedly better.

i had already been using the Evolution Acoustics interconnects. however, they are the 'zeel' BNC type cables. as good as my 1.5m Opus MM2 RCA's were the Evolution Acoustics interconnects were better.

i did all this using your speakers.

the only negative about EA cables is the time to get them. Kevin has to put any cables in line behind all the speakers on order. they are reasonably priced for the performance relative to anything else i've heard.

Here is my problem. They may be good cables, but at $5K (speaker cables) I'm not sure I would call them reasonably priced. But that is besides the point. My main issue is exposure to depreciation on new stuff from a somewhat esoteric brand. First, you cannot get any dealer discount, second there is a poor used market. So if I get this cable, I'm out 50% ($2,500) depreciation on day one. If I get a discounted $3K shunyata cord, at the right price, my exposure is 10% of $3,000 tops (more often it is actually zero).

Being Dutch (call me cheap or frugal as you prefer), I'll would take the Shunyata cord any day of the week, even if (a big if) the Evolution cord may be marginally (or dramatically?) better.

This approach really keeps this hobby affordable to me. Despite tying up lots of cash, I typically get my money out of the stuff I own when I resell. Case in point - I expect to make a small profit on my Transparent cables, should I decide to resell them and buy Shunyatas. I have made up to 30% profit on resale of the old Transparent cables in the past....

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

I'm a little on the fence about the Anaconda versus Python IC issue. On order to compare I would need to buy both and resell the one I like least. Doable but a bit of a hassle. Is it really conceivable the Python will perform better or are you a fairly unique case. Should I just get the anaconda to be on the safe side? I am ordering tomorrow. Any input appreciated....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing