Equi~Tech vs Torus

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Hi Iostinato,

I also live in Austin and built a good sized dedicated room about 4 years ago. I went with a 10KVA Isolation transformer that feeds 12 dedicated 20 amp outlets, dedicated breaker box with bolt in breakers, solid core 10 gauge copper wiring which is manually twisted on 1" centers run through flexible steel conduit, isolated ground outlets, etc. The transformer that I used has some special options that are specific to audio applications. The transformer is not wall mountable but can be located either outdoors (with heavy duty case) or indoors (perhaps in a garage). They range in size from 5KVA - 25KVA. It has worked perfectly for the past 4 years - zero issues. A few of my audio friends have since gone with the same solution and all achieved the same results. Feel free to PM me is you would like to discuss further.

Arnie

Why the secrecy?! Details, please (brand, web site, models, etc.)!

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
There are some fundamental differences between the Torus and Equitech transformers.

The Equitech transformers are balanced on the output side. You feed them 120V and they output 60V on both live and neutral. This type of arrangement is called 'balanced power' and is subject to special restrictions in the national electric code.

All the Torus transformers over 20A capacity are balanced on the input side. They take two 120V legs (for a total of 240V) and output 120V. Firstly as far as I know this arrangement does not require any special dispensation from your local inspector as the power on the secondary side is a standard 120V on hot and 0V on neutral. And secondly you can run a smaller gauge cable to it as current draw is halved.

In my books isolation transformers are the best power conditioning product you can buy and either Equitech or Torus will likely be better than what you have now.

Reactions: amadeus

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
If the Torus transformer output's 120V rather than 60/60V then NO it does not come under the special balanced power rules. But in other cases, the balanced power rules only apply to the transformer output. The transformer input may be 120V, 120/120V or 240V, all the same rules.

Experts write that a isolation transformer has almost all the benefits of a balanced transformer at much less cost.

isolation_transformer (med).jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
For what it's worth, I enjoy Equi=tech balanced power but did not go whole hog and get an entire panel. Instead I purchased two transformers, 1 for 20 amp outlets and 1 for 15 amp outlets. They came in nice wall boxes and the total cost with shipping was around $2700.

iostinato

Mar 7, 2013
Austin
Appreciate all the comments.

I'm inclined to go with the E=T based on Mike's experience with its performance. And I like that it's an all in one unit and UL approved, but will have to see if my electrician foresees any issues with inspection. It's a plus that it's quiet, as it will be in an equipment closet off of the main room. Was wondering about heat generation, do any owners notice the fans kicking in? Also Mike, it looked like yours was semi-recessed. How is the framing/wall built around the mounting? Your install looked great - very clean.

How do you manage shutting down power to the panel? Is the transformer itself best left on continuously? I'll be using active speakers in the room with their power switches inaccessible once installed, so I need to be able to kill the power to those circuits (the speaker amps are ok with hot power cycling). I assume the breakers are not designed for frequent use.

Another issue with the E=T is its compatibility with UPS. I'm not anticipating needing one for this room, but do they care if they're fed 60v/60v?

Amir, I take your recommendation about surge protection at the service entrance. That makes that feature in the Torus less valuable for me. Price-wise, the equivalent All-In-One Torus unit (AIO-12.5K-240) is also a few thou more.

Speedskater, thanks for the links. I'll be digging into those soon.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
As for the inspector, most cities allow parts of homes to be converted into shops or offices while the rest remains a residence. So ask the inspector if the plans look like a kitchen or bedroom or any other room in a home? The room is plainly an audio or recording studio and should follow the code for a studio. But be careful that may raise your building expenses or your taxes.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
For what it's worth, I enjoy Equi=tech balanced power but did not go whole hog and get an entire panel. Instead I purchased two transformers, 1 for 20 amp outlets and 1 for 15 amp outlets. They came in nice wall boxes and the total cost with shipping was around $2700.

I would be interested in the model numbers. Do the products you selected generate balanced power? I'm not ready to spend $9000 for the Equi=Tech product that has been suggested and $2700 is a lot easier to swallow!!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I would be interested in the model numbers. Do the products you selected generate balanced power? I'm not ready to spend $9000 for the Equi=Tech product that has been suggested and $2700 is a lot easier to swallow!!

Yes, the products I got generate balanced power.

The models are:
2BQ (20 amp)
1B (15 amp)

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Yes, the products I got generate balanced power.

The models are:
2BQ (20 amp)
1B (15 amp)

Peak capacity and number of circuits notwithstanding, I'd be very interested to hear how these rackmount Equi=Tech products compare to their big, in-wall brothers (10WQ, the one that Mike L and co use).

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Peak capacity and number of circuits notwithstanding, I'd be very interested to hear how these rackmount Equi=Tech products compare to their big, in-wall brothers (10WQ, the one that Mike L and co use).

I am interested in the rack mount Q boxes 1.5RQ and the 2RQ. Do they provide the same quality low noise balanced power as the wall mount versions ? Do I need a special wall outlet for the 2RQ version ? If my math is correct, the 1.5 RQ outputs 1500 watts correct ? perhaps I can use two units on the same 15 amp circuit... one dedicated for each power amp which
require 550 watts for each one. The wall mount versions may be a code issue in my town and I am not living here forever.

Looking for advice. I currently use PS Audio regenerators P5's...one dedicated to each amp on the same circuit. Perhaps they are just as effective in reducing noise as these transformer variants...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Looking for advice. I currently use PS Audio regenerators P5's...one dedicated to each amp on the same circuit. Perhaps they are just as effective in reducing noise as these transformer variants...

There you go thinking small potatos again... Get off the porch and get a Wall cabinet like Mike and I....

Who's worried about "code"?

Reactions: Dentdog

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
There are some fundamental differences between the Torus and Equitech transformers.

The Equitech transformers are balanced on the output side. You feed them 120V and they output 60V on both live and neutral. This type of arrangement is called 'balanced power' and is subject to special restrictions in the national electric code.

All the Torus transformers over 20A capacity are balanced on the input side. They take two 120V legs (for a total of 240V) and output 120V. Firstly as far as I know this arrangement does not require any special dispensation from your local inspector as the power on the secondary side is a standard 120V on hot and 0V on neutral. And secondly you can run a smaller gauge cable to it as current draw is halved.

In my books isolation transformers are the best power conditioning product you can buy and either Equitech or Torus will likely be better than what you have now.

See my post #9

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
There you go thinking small potatos again... Get off the porch and get a Wall cabinet like Mike and I....

Who's worried about "code"?

where's my laughing emoticon....here it is ;)

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
One might be worried if after an unfortunate house fire the fire marshal determines an electrical device without a permit was installed:( The electrician I was using rightfully wouldn't install the device without a local county electrical permit.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

As far as I understand the PS Audio regenerators are simultaneously isolation transformers and generators. They have an isolation transformer to produce the DC supply and from this DC they recreate the AC. As you have speakers having 94 dB efficiency you should be one of the few people here who should not be afraid of peak transient power or limiting issues in the regenerators.

I will know soon how good they are as I have ordered a PS Audio P10. I hope Frantz will be happy when he reads this post! ;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I will know soon how good they are as I have ordered a PS Audio P10. I hope Frantz will be happy when he reads this post! ;)

I will be very curious on your opinion. I use two P5's one dedicated to each mono block. 60% of the capacity is used in each P5, so I feel I still have plenty of headroom left.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I will be very curious on your opinion. I use two P5's one dedicated to each mono block. 60% of the capacity is used in each P5, so I feel I still have plenty of headroom left.

The PS Audio P10 arrived a few hours ago. I will post on it after listening during the weekend.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 1,079

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
As far as I understand the PS Audio regenerators are simultaneously isolation transformers and generators. They have an isolation transformer to produce the DC supply and from this DC they recreate the AC. As you have speakers having 94 dB efficiency you should be one of the few people here who should not be afraid of peak transient power or limiting issues in the regenerators.

microstrip

I indeed am pleased. Correct me if I am wrong but you don't seem to be entirely convinced by the Equi=Tech approach. My preferences
regeneration aka double conversion UPS
torus Isolation transformer
equitech

Later when i am home, hate to type on the iPad "keyboard" :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing