Equi~Tech vs Torus

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In a balanced iso the center tap is bonded to ground making it neutral potential. This lowers common mode noise , they also have emi /rfi filters. Nec art 647 shows what is allowed it’s on the website . I thought the use of a balanced transformer using a 230 phase to phase on primary helps in dc offset where most distortion of this type is from 125 phase to neural / ground types. in addition the large reduction of common mode noise I think is why this type product makes sense . If local even better but the method used to ground the secondary center tap matters . I think it needs to be a large over sized wire at main breaker bonding source in panel . Over sized utility pipe with a double clean ground clamps with above nec code gauge copper wire is needed. The rod or in some areas 2 rods must be at same bonding point .I would think a ground collector block works best. nec code dictates any form of isolation or change in voltage potential needs it’s own ground using building steel or building current grounding system. lastly I think audio in most cases should be in a phase to phase voltage potential in the USA of course. doing so greatly reduces many types of noise.

Thanks. I was addressing european rules, not the US National Electrical Code and just the safety issues.

Does the 230V Equi=tech have the CE certification label?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Thanks. I was addressing european rules, not the US National Electrical Code and just the safety issues.

Does the 230V Equi=tech have the CE certification label?
I will let you know at soonest after questioning this by Equi=Tech

battles

Dec 11, 2011
Hi All,

For those who have invested in a large “whole house” wall mounted power conditioner made by Equi=tech or Torus, I’d be curious to know whether you are plugging your power amplifiers into circuits fed by said toroidal power conditioners or if you are bypassing them (as to not restrict current)?

Thanks,
Blake

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would imagine going into Torus or Equitech is the way to go provided they have enough capacity to 'more than handle' the most peak conditions the amps could generate. In our case, we use the Torus AVR16, having first checked with Torus and Gryphon (Mephisto)...and now Robert Koda themselves. With 16 amps of capacity, the system (being Class A) runs full-power all the time...and measures approximately 5.2amps out of the Torus meter at all times. We are also 50% more capacity in the Torus on kVA than I believe the entire system measures/is designed for...plus the Torus has something like 10x-20x more peak capacity than that.

So for full household units, even more so, I would have thought go into the Torus...I certainly prefer it in than out.

Reactions: Uk Paul and sujay

battles

Dec 11, 2011
I would imagine going into Torus or Equitech is the way to go provided they have enough capacity to 'more than handle' the most peak conditions the amps could generate. In our case, we use the Torus AVR16, having first checked with Torus and Gryphon (Mephisto)...and now Robert Koda themselves. With 16 amps of capacity, the system (being Class A) runs full-power all the time...and measures approximately 5.2amps out of the Torus meter at all times. We are also 50% more capacity in the Torus on kVA than I believe the entire system measures/is designed for...plus the Torus has something like 10x-20x more peak capacity than that.

So for full household units, even more so, I would have thought go into the Torus...I certainly prefer it in than out.
Thanks LL21. I’m happy to hear that this has been your experience. My dedicated audio power circuits are running through my Torus All In One system. I was second guessing my set up after hearing from another audiophile that toroidal conditioners weren’t fast enough to supply amps with instantaneous power, even those with high KVAs.

Much appreciated,
Blake

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks LL21. I’m happy to hear that this has been your experience. My dedicated audio power circuits are running through my Torus All In One system. I was second guessing my set up after hearing from another audiophile that toroidal conditioners weren’t fast enough to supply amps with instantaneous power, even those with high KVAs.

Much appreciated,
Blake
Hi Battles,

There are 3 options in my mind:
- Go to wall
- Go to Torus/Equitech
- go to OTT, massive Torus/Equitech

On the difference between the 2 options, I cannot say. I have spoken with a member here who is currently experimenting and find that even though 2 Torus AVR16 (one for each mono) should not make a difference it does...and that going with a full-blown house unit may do even more.

Personally, I have not had that opportunity...I have only been able to compare straight wall to Torus AVR16...and I would not put the amps straight into the wall now if I could help it. The Torus has created a more natural, more detailed, sound...more detailed through a lower noise floor. Very impressive.

Reactions: sujay and cuntigh

battles

Dec 11, 2011
Great to hear, LL21, especially because it would have been a major PITA for me to reconfigure my system to bypass my 12KVA Torus!!!

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Same experience as LL21 for me with the Torus AVR16. All my system included 2 mono tube amps, is connected to the Torus. No comparison not only with the wall socket, but also with the other passives I tried before (Bybee (x2), Acoustic Revive, the first Lessloss).
2 friends of mine use thé Accuphase PS 1200 and 510 with great satisfaction also.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great to hear, LL21, especially because it would have been a major PITA for me to reconfigure my system to bypass my 12KVA Torus!!!
Having spoken with Robert Koda, their listening room's power configuration provides 5kVA of capacity to drive the whole system.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
A nice bonus with a torus rack mount transformer is it can be ordered as a 240 volt center tap primary. In my world, this means I can feed the unit with a 240 volt thermal magnetic circuit breaker. Thermal mag are superior to AFCI breakers that are required on all 15 and 20 amp breakers.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Once again, the connection to Planet Earth has nothing to do with day-to-day AC power quality. It is there for safety during thunderstorms and other high voltage problem events. Do whatever makes the electrician and the inspector happy.
I don't agree. I have heard dramatic differences between a panel laced up properly and grounded well to one that, meets code. I don't have answers as to why. But I always focus significant attention to optimal grounding on every project.
I have also seen a project where a clay potted ground with 12 ohms resistance pulled free, and there was no change in audio performance. Go figure.

I can not explain it all. But I go with, install to the higheat quality possible. Don't cut corners. It won't let you down doing it right.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Every good engineering book and paper on the subject of AC power.

With AC power noise, interference, leakage, lost Neutral and Ground currents have no interest in Planet Earth. They are only interested in getting back to their source which is the power company transformer.
Fundamental power wants to go back to the neutral. Parasitic voltage, such as the lightning you noted earlier, surges, harmonics will seek the neutral, but also earth. I got that from Mike Holts website.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
do we need to use a gfci outlet or a gfci breaker inside the equitek iso distribution panel ?

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Fundamental power wants to go back to the neutral. Parasitic voltage, such as the lightning you noted earlier, surges, harmonics will seek the neutral, but also earth. I got that from Mike Holts website.
The statement is true but not in the practical sense
all power creation and transmission is above gerund potential having said this it’s not true as how power distribution is used.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
do we need to use a gfci outlet or a gfci breaker inside the equitek iso distribution panel ?
USA, no. But it is suppose to have AFCI breakers unless the listening room is in a free standing building that is not a residence. A residence has provisions to cook, bath and sleep.

Reactions: K3RMIT

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Exactly hahaha so you see being perfect is not worth it. I’m building a room on one of my homes
its unattached . But not for the sake of code it’s so I go inside close the door and no one will hear me or know I’m there. i mean no harm to argue my point in audio. But im not letting anyone tell me what I can do or not. now Rex you build for the public so get your point. it will have a massive 50 kva iso balanced outside the room. it will also be totally off the home grounding system too.
what does worry me is high voltage transients
this I need to design well on the high voltage side

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Exactly hahaha so you see being perfect is not worth it. I’m building a room on one of my homes
its unattached . But not for the sake of code it’s so I go inside close the door and no one will hear me or know I’m there. i mean no harm to argue my point in audio. But im not letting anyone tell me what I can do or not. now Rex you build for the public so get your point. it will have a massive 50 kva iso balanced outside the room. it will also be totally off the home grounding system too.
what does worry me is high voltage transients
this I need to design well on the high voltage side
If you don't tie the ground through to the primary ground and float it in the yard, you will have voltage instability and probably hundreds of microvolts of potential between the neutral and ground.

The NEC is based upon sound electrical principles. Especially grounding. The problem people run into is sloppy craftsmanship.

However, I don't like the NEC requiring a ground rod at the new service at a remote structure. You now have a path for noise to travel from the main structure to the remote structure.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing