Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Equi~Tech vs Torus

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Sorry it it not true in reality, where power transformers can suffer from leakage to the secondary and equipment is not designed according to ideal rules. We are debating consumer high end equipment, not military specified and certified equipment. And noise is not just hum!

It is why, for example, some instrumentation research laboratories and facilities specify extremely low resistance ground connections - we do not want to have problems with what your neighbor does in his section.
    Good luck with that......I have been trying to explain this to Kevin for a long time. You may be more articulate than I, but I am not sure you are going anywhere.
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Flux-50s, Outlets, PC's. Star ground.
    Cables - Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin (phono).
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Sig Ascona MKII, TA-9000 arm, Lyra Atlas.
    Digital Source- MSB Reference DAC, Femto 33.
    Amplification - Soulution 721 Pre and 501 Monos.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Acoustic Frontiers Design, RPG Plates, Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom Helmholtz Traps.
    Stands - Solid Walnut by Timber Nation.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    I respectfully disagree, but I would be curious to hear other people's takes on this.

I am currently considering a 90A Torus wall mount unit versus the same 90A Torus standalone unit (Torus AVR 90, which has a 90 amp balanced input unit). So headroom is the same either way. The stand alone unit takes a 50A, 250V twist lock balanced plug. If EVERYTHING in the audio system plugs into the same power unit, I have a hard time seeing why a wall mount unit would be better than the same version of a standalone unit and the wall mount unit may actually be worse.

With a standalone unit all audio equipment plugs directly into the back of the power unit. Therefore, the only external influence is your power cords.

Whereas with a wall mount unit, the audio equipment plugs into a number of branch circuit receptacles that are in-turn wired back to the wall mount unit. So with the wall mount unit, you introduce more variables with wiring from the wall mount unit to your receptacles as well as the receptacles themselves. Also, EMI, RFI, and compatibility influence the wiring over these distances.

I can see where a wall mount unit can be useful when you need receptacles in various locations, particularly when you can place a receptacle at a remote media server in another room (so you can ensure that your remotely located devices share the same power, neutral, and ground as the audio devices in your listening room)(otherwise you are introducing different grounds and neutrals into your audio system through the interconnections to these devices.)
    I wonder if you and Mike are just getting the terms mixed up between "stand alone" and "wall mount." I suspect Mike is referring to the 15 to 20 amp 'table top units" when he references the term "standalone" versus the big 60 to 100 amp "wall mount" units. Its about amp rating not the descriptive term. Of course I could be completely wrong.....
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Flux-50s, Outlets, PC's. Star ground.
    Cables - Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin (phono).
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Sig Ascona MKII, TA-9000 arm, Lyra Atlas.
    Digital Source- MSB Reference DAC, Femto 33.
    Amplification - Soulution 721 Pre and 501 Monos.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Acoustic Frontiers Design, RPG Plates, Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom Helmholtz Traps.
    Stands - Solid Walnut by Timber Nation.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    I respectfully disagree, but I would be curious to hear other people's takes on this.

I am currently considering a 90A Torus wall mount unit versus the same 90A Torus standalone unit (Torus AVR 90, which has a 90 amp balanced input unit). So headroom is the same either way. The stand alone unit takes a 50A, 250V twist lock balanced plug. If EVERYTHING in the audio system plugs into the same power unit, I have a hard time seeing why a wall mount unit would be better than the same version of a standalone unit and the wall mount unit may actually be worse.

With a standalone unit all audio equipment plugs directly into the back of the power unit. Therefore, the only external influence is your power cords.

Whereas with a wall mount unit, the audio equipment plugs into a number of branch circuit receptacles that are in-turn wired back to the wall mount unit. So with the wall mount unit, you introduce more variables with wiring from the wall mount unit to your receptacles as well as the receptacles themselves. Also, EMI, RFI, and compatibility influence the wiring over these distances.

I can see where a wall mount unit can be useful when you need receptacles in various locations, particularly when you can place a receptacle at a remote media server in another room (so you can ensure that your remotely located devices share the same power, neutral, and ground as the audio devices in your listening room)(otherwise you are introducing different grounds and neutrals into your audio system through the interconnections to these devices.)
    when I made my 'can't compare' claim, I was referring to 20amp 110-120v plug in boxes compared to 'big-boy' 70amp 220v 5kVa and up hard wired panels.

50A 250V twist lock connected boxes are equivalent to the large hard wired panels in concept. likely there might be some differences in performance, but I'd be guessing about what they would be. possibly the 400 pound Equi=tech 10WQ with the Nema Steel 12 cabinet might have build advantages over a stand alone box......or not.

if you plug your power cords into the stand alone box, it also means the transformer is in the room in proximity to your gear.....a mixed blessing.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    . . . some instrumentation research laboratories and facilities specify extremely low resistance ground connections . . .
    I know this to be true.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314