1999 Classe Omega Stereo Experiences

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
I had the original Omega amp and then upgraded to the Omega Omicron monoblocks. I found them to be "lifeless".
NICE...your only post and lifrless is what you say...I am curious what you have for a system today.I donnot believe lifeless is a description I would use but hey,your opinion

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
The Krell KMA 400s are one of my reference amps, well a pair of... they are monos. As is the CJ Premier One (recapped). Wonderful ole' classic amps.

those would truely be a eye opener...fully rebuilt and ready.
I believe there is a dealer local who has a prmier ONE that needs fully worked over,but he wanted $3500

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I also think that a few mods to some great older gear is another good move. I have noticed in big Class A SS amps that the older ones are still fantastic...but the treble is perhaps not as refined as sometimes see today...D'Agostino is a great example of where SS treble has gotten to. But I imagine some of the older greats with a few mods could certainly carry forward the bass, dynamics and Mids of old...with an improved treble and refinement to make it more competitive and incredible value for money.

Well, it was in the upper frequency region that my Classe DR-3 (true class A mono's) had a certain reputation. I can still remember a relatively recent review of mono Classe amps, in which the author claimed that the initial DR based amps were excellent, except for the unrefined top end.

He, and others who followed the same reputable scripture ... were wrong.

When I first got these amps into my system, they sounded bright beyond what my ears could handle, to the point in which I figured that the "reviewers" were very much justified, and perhaps I'd made a mistake in purchasing 'em. But I soon realized that much of the brightness was based on artifacts that were beyond the amps control, such as poorly chosen power & interconnect cables, compromised connection qualities, digital or analog sources that compromised high frequency content, amongst other items.

After about 6 months of system changes, including a total reconstruction of power allocation / grounding, environmental and electronic isolation, it became apparent that these amps had a talent in the upper frequencies that I've rarely heard. Super extended, they can be delicate, or they can be revealing, they can be both at the same time, but most important, they have the ability to convey the power of certain instruments at the upper frequencies that's I've found rare. For example, a hard struck cymbal can be a difficult thing for a system to reproduce properly, most of the initial impact/power is lost. But not in my system. Conversely, they tend to make current amps sound a little too soft, hazy and dynamically challenged in the upper frequencies.

Therefore, I'm not so certain that many of the older designs which had reputations regarding their upper freq. content ... were correct. I'll provide another example ...

My Alphason HR100mcs was once considered (and still is by many) a top arm choice, but it came with a reputation of while having superb detail retrieval, it had an overly lean and clinical, perhaps a touch bright, tonal balance. This was considered somewhat of a constant HR100 reputation (esp the early models that had no internal damping); based on many reviews and opinions shared by users & reviewers at that time. And it was true, to a degree, especially if you didn't understand this particular arms proprietary idiosyncrasies and synergistic requirements. However, once you learn those items, and adjust accordingly, although it retains a lean tonal balance, it's amazing detail retrieval, lack of overall grain, quickness, dynamic power, solid dimensional capability, and more importantly; it's amazing control and grip at the frequency extremes suddenly offset all those prior perceived weaknesses.

So, I retain amps that had a reputation of brightness, and an arm that had a reputation of being too clinical ... yet within my system ... they proved just the opposite.

tb1

owen

Mar 19, 2013
Classe Omega

You asked for opinions and that was mine. I owned several Classe amps, preamps(DR series),cd transports and dac before the Omega series, I also owned the Omega SACD player. I was just disappointed in the sound. I found it too analytical, no emotion(remember, this is my opinion). Some of that may have been due to the interconnects, cables,PC's. I think they were Transparent Reference XL's. The speakers were Wilson W/P 7's. From that I moved to Lamm ML 2.1's, then to MBL 9008's and now I have the Soulution 700's, 720,745,750, Brinkmann front end, Kubala Sosna Elation interconnects, speaker cable,PC's. The speaker's are YG Anat III Professional Signature Edition.

Now, having said all that, if you like the sound, that is all that matters. The company was great, the stuff was well built.

Last edited:

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Hi Owen..thankyou for your opinion.I am truely glad you stated your gear,past and present,as I am all about helping both the youth and middle aged newbies realize the slight diferences in older gear and some newer gear.
Now although I donnot condone your first post,your second truely explains it all ,to me at least.People need to realize that you are sitting on ""OVER $500,000" system and your first words are lifeless...
This is the kind of one sidedness that pertains to people not realizing the potential of many of the older amps.
You say,maybe it was the cables or maybe many things but in your opinion,it was not your cup of tea.But $500,000 later,you are in heaven I hope.You have had some nice gear and good luck on your nirvana

I am taking a amp that is worth $6000 on the used market and trying to compare it to simular amps plus old vs new'er.I had a chance to compare the Classe CAM 400 to the Omega.First and foremost,they seem very mechanical,and I dont know if it has alot to do with being designed the way computers are designed but it is odd.I did like them but I did not love them.There was simularities but I do love my Omega,both in girth and in sound.I could not see,ever,spending the extra thousnds of dollars on the newer Classe compared to the reasonable pricing of this TOTL older gear.$6000 for the older Omega(plus shipping and payments) is more than fair and I suppose $4800-5000 for the Omnicron is fair.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I can understand how someone might consider newer Classe gear lifeless, but I've never heard ANYONE claim that about the older DR series. In fact, they had the exact opposite reputation.

tb1

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
To complete my system in a contemporary way, I paired the

Classe Audio Omega

Stereo AMP to my Avalon Osiris System.

All the detail to the Amp can be seen here:

Important for the Avalon Osiris is the capability to deliver current down to 1ohm,
some other amps I have tried so far had definitely bigger problems to do so.

Fortunately the Omega was a bargain and is in the used market a hidden gem for power cosuming critical speakers.

Comparing the quality of the chassis, the 2x 2500va transformers, there 180.000 üf capacity, the weight of 120kg, with current amplifiers models, you will be fast in the 70 to 100k region of actual portfolio amps

I definitely enjoy this Amp!

IMG_1384.jpg IMG_1388.jpg IMG_1387.jpg IMG_1386.jpg IMG_1385.jpg IMG_1383.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing