Giant killer: The magnus ma-300

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After doing a lot of research, my next amp purchase took me by complete surprise at how good it sounds. It is the Canary Audio/Magnus MA-300, a 600 watter for my Venture speakers. And, it is built in the good ol' USA! Here is a honest, well written review. I could not have written it any better:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio...udio_ma300.htm

http://www.magnusaudio.com/MA300-204.jpg

Congrats...that's some serious amplification. I read that review. Enjoy!

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Congrats...that's some serious amplification. I read that review. Enjoy!

Thanks Lloyd and Wizard.:cool: It was voted one of the best looking amps of all time by Audio Hall of Fame.com (HigherFi.com)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have always admired the looks and build quality of their tube products and wondered why we never heard much about the company in the press.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I have always admired the looks and build quality of their tube products and wondered why we never heard much about the company in the press.

I have wondered the same thing, and I am actually very puzzled. I think it might have to do with marketing and paying review rags for advertisement (maybe ;))

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

porselen

Feb 28, 2013
just ordered the amp; looking forward to trying it!

Nice looking amp also, anyone having any info on it?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Nice looking unit, although I sincerely doubt the majority of audiophiles would consider a 10K amp, a "giant killer".

tb1

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Nice looking unit, although I sincerely doubt the majority of audiophiles would consider a 10K amp, a "giant killer".

tb1

True. But "It is has the performance to compete against amplifiers costing five times as much, it is a superb component" is at least a nice and challenging review .

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
True. But "It is has the performance to compete against amplifiers costing five times as much, it is a superb component" is at least a nice and challenging review .

Glass half full or ... perhaps the amplifiers costing 5 times as much were not as good as advertised?

tb1

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
yes i read the article;
i meant the ma-200 if there is any written info about it!
I just had on delivered today. I will post later.

Sorry, I ment the class A, MA 200

Last edited:

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

tb1
It killed my $30K Burmester 911 MK3, in my system.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
---- Wow! ...In sheer overall output power, or absolu!e 'pure' sound quality? ...Both?

In emotional power. It has 2X the power and headroom. You have to understand, some North American distributors charge 50% to bring these items in. That is why I am trying to going mostly "built in the USA".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing