DSD comparison to PCM.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
With you Micro as regards the - generally speaking - high quality of the Alia Vox/Jordi Savall sacd’s. Any particular favourites among them?

However, so far I have only been able to find and download (low rate) pcm files of various Jordi Savall recordings which are in my opinion not great sounding. Do you have other experiences in this regard?

Effectively the DSD layers of the SACD's sound much better in my system than PCM, particularly when played through the CD/SACD transport DCS transport - I must say that the Aliavox label had a strong influence in my choice of the Vivaldi system.

It is not easy for me to select only a few - but for example Dinastia Borgia, Istanbul, Don Quixote de la Mancha are high quality. Or in PCM, Du Temps et de l'Instant, played and sang by the Savall family joined by Pedro Esteban on percussion instruments.

Alia-Vox recordings have a very natural ambiance, recorded mainly in old churches with great acoustics. They are demanding - the old instruments are very rich, but challenging. In "soft" or "dark" systems these recordings can sound boring. Some of these recordings must carry some majesty - we must feel as in the presence of the king, mixed with his court and attending the concert with them!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Effectively the DSD layers of the SACD's sound much better in my system than PCM, particularly when played through the CD/SACD transport DCS transport - I must say that the Aliavox label had a strong influence in my choice of the Vivaldi system.

It is not easy for me to select only a few - but for example Dinastia Borgia, Istanbul, Don Quixote de la Mancha are high quality. Or in PCM, Du Temps et de l'Instant, played and sang by the Savall family joined by Pedro Esteban on percussion instruments.

Alia-Vox recordings have a very natural ambiance, recorded mainly in old churches with great acoustics. They are demanding - the old instruments are very rich, but challenging. In "soft" or "dark" systems these recordings can sound boring. Some of these recordings must carry some majesty - we must feel as in the presence of the king, mixed with his court and attending the concert with them!

The Alia Vox sacd’s are (also for me) far from boring. The musicians are outstanding and the sound quality of quite a bunch of the sacd’s as well. And - as mentioned in many reviews - the packaging is great as well. The AV ‘music books’ (you listed a few in your response) with their splendid pictures and background stories are always a joy to read. Sorely missing Montserrat Figueras though; I am regularly playing sacd’s in which she figures prominently. I (still) love her - maybe somewhat peculiar - voice.

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
DXD/PCM vs DSD

Just posted these in the ifi dac thread but these free files should be helpful here as well;

https://www.soundliaison.com/all-categories/6-compare-formats

Which format is best for your DAC?
Every DAC has it's own character, some sounds better using PCM files and some sounds better using DSD files...... Some people find the convenience of FLAC files more important.
Here on this page is a list containing 2 minutes of a song in 11 different formats.

The song is called 'A Fool For You' and is performed by Carmen Gomes Inc.
It’s taken from the album 'Carmen Sings The Blues'.

http://soundliaison.com/studio-showcase-series/276-carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

All the different formats have the same source file, DXD 352kHz (Studio Master).
We used the AUL ConverteR 48x44 for the conversion to DSD and Wavelab for the conversion to the other PCM formats and FLAC.

When you compare different sample rates always start with the lowest resolution.
During listening don't focus too much, hearing is as individual as taste but hearing is also something which can be acquired, like the taste of good wine.

You can choose from the following formats:

1. DXD 352kHz
2. PCM 192kHz
3. PCM 176kHz
4. PCM 96kHz
5. PCM 44kHz
6. DSD 256
7. DSD 128
8. DSD 64
9 . FLAC 352kHz
10. FLAC 192kHz
11. FLAC 96kHz

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I don't understand the attraction to Gomes...dull, drab and no soul........who can make any determination with that voice?

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
Not to derail the topic but to put mildly, i do not agree at all. Good for her that the press seems to be on my side:)
see if you don't agree that this intimate effort is one of the best and best-sounding jazz vocal albums to come along in many a day.
Soundstage experience

Her warm, enormously talented and controlled voice is completely unique and she knows how to get pure emotion across to the listener ...
The sound of the album is exemplary with dynamics of an addictive quality......the drums are practically visual and one feels as if one could reach out and and actually touch the singer.

Eric de Boer - Hifi.nl

Gomes Sings "You better come on into my kitchen, 'cause it's going to be raining outdoors" and what a wondrous musical kitchen she possesses.
The utensils are the thoughtfully played musical notes. The chef is Carmen herself, serving a dream-like melodic delicacy. We at Adore Jazz, play the music from Gomes' new CD "Torn" with great joy.

Guy Zinger - Reviewer & Writer, All About Jazz

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I don't understand the attraction to Gomes...dull, drab and no soul........who can make any determination with that voice?

Thank you for saying that out loud, I concur.

I gave up being a format snob a long time ago, sit back and just listen to the music, quite worrying and listen to what you have been missing.

And here we are 5 years later
[video]http://gifimage.net/beating-a-dead-horse-gif-6-2/[/video]

Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
I am not sure about here, but on many forums there seems to be a revival of listening to 44.1/16, frequently with the new wave of R2R ladder Dacs.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I am not sure about here, but on many forums there seems to be a revival of listening to 44.1/16, frequently with the new wave of R2R ladder Dacs.

I never stopped. Most of my great music is 16/44.1. I also have many tracks up to 24/192. They all sound great, and I don't need a R2R DAC either. It's the digital filtering, not the conversion technology that usually causes 44.1 to sound inferior.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
I never stopped. Most of my great music is 16/44.1. I also have many tracks up to 24/192. They all sound great, and I don't need a R2R DAC either. It's the digital filtering, not the conversion technology that usually causes 44.1 to sound inferior.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

OK, I have an AN(UK) digital front end. I find that to be true, as well.

tkcha

Apr 11, 2018
Indeed, I had the DAC 5 AN UK unit. But you can get MORE..... clue - Aries Cerat.:rolleyes:

Hi astrostar59 I am happy for you and you have very nice DAC, I have lot of DSD and like sound quality better than pcm. I also own R2R based dac like you, HOLO Spring Level 3 DAC which a lot cheaper than yours still amazing dac none to less I like it so much.
I was DAC search for about 2 years tried many dac under 20k price point. Dave, MSB analog,Bricasti M1se,Sim audio 780d ETC but ended up HOLO dac.
I know you dont care much about dsd still at least did you try or will If you tried what is your impression about sound quality compare to pcm sound?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing