Frugal Preamp - an oxymoron?

Mortsnets

Jan 2, 2013
Any suggestions for frugal preamps (under $1000) ?

Sam Tellig has suggested using a Little Dot headphone amp, and the Luminous Axiom passive has gotten some notice and is really inexpensive.
Once in a while I see DIY'ers selling their Aikidos or Grounded Grid preamps. Then there is the Bottlehead Foreplay (I've got the Quickie and don't care for it). There is a used AN M1 for sale at a local shop, are they any good? I've read alot about Burson lately...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
A DAC with a gain control. Many great ones in the market

For a system with all digital sources and a limited budget, this is a no brainer. To come close to well implemented VC on the DAC, you need to spend inordinate amounts of money on a preamp. Trust me - i tried.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
A used Audible Ilussions might fit in that budget, I tried almost 5 passives, the Axiom is a great choice.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
I agree that the best and also the most frugal preamp is none at all. Makes me wonder though, given that DACs are getting more and more optimized for their different digital formats (RB, hires and DSD) whether eventually someone will make their DAC able to 'tri-state' its output so more than one can be wired into a power amp... :p

Mortsnets

Jan 2, 2013
So naming names, what are some recommended frugal dac with volume controls?
the Wadia Digital 121Decoding Computer?

Mortsnets

Jan 2, 2013
A used Audible Ilussions might fit in that budget, I tried almost 5 passives, the Axiom is a great choice.
Thanks for the response. A tube pre would be nice, not too many in the price range. Although many passive dacs seem to have a rep for sucking the life out of the sound quality the Axiom seems to get good reviews.

untangle

Mar 11, 2011
Santa Clara, CA
baasnotes.com
A surprise from MSB

IMO, this little-known MSB linestage ($400!) is one of the best bargains in the market.

Don't let the multi-channel capability or the wall wart fool you, this is the real deal. It's dead-silent, neutral, and transparent.

It is also low-gain, almost like a buffer stage - one using and MSB ladder-DAC as the attenuator (!).

I originally bought it to support my active crossover designs, but use it as a 2-ch unit on occasion. It's quite configurable, so it makes bi-amping a cinch too.

More details in the datasheet.

(I am not nor ever have been affiliated with MSB. I paid full price for mine.)

Bob

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
How's this for frugal?

The preamp I bought new, about 1985- a Superphon Revelation II Basic Dual Mono preamp by Stan Warren. Known to be one of the great budget buys! I recently set it up with an Adcom 535 amp in a small urban "pied a terre" as 2nd system; it is superb! BUT- it need to be recapped. Additionally, I think it should be upgraded with an IEC connector, allowing the use of SOTA PC cables. Who would be best to have do this ?? Suggestions, please.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing