The Larch Theater build

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Have been building on a home theater since march 2011. Everything went well up to in was tested for real the first time and then I realized that the one thing I had NOT been discussing with my acoustics consultant was sound proofing against the outside. Myself I did not expect something built in light concrete blocks to have poor performance and the consultant probably expected the building to be better then it's turned out to be.

Now, I did play quite aggressively at the time I spooked the neighbors, but as I do want ULF boost for best cinema experience, that part will be quite loud compared to the rest - while soundproofing working the worst in this range.

So, I will be tearing inner walls and ceiling (I think I've made up my mind to do it now... but given all the job I had putting wood up for diffusion, it's heartbreaking) and start over from the point of making the blocks more air-tight...)

So, even if you think you're being careful... this is a damned hard subject to get grips on. And it doesn't look like the experts agree on the best way to build soundproofed walls with focus on bass/ULF dampening. Some places seem to have to use green glue everywhere, other experts say you'll actually lose dampening in the low range due to it...

No idea where this thread will go, but I'm definitely open to hear what the experts here thinks in my quest for some kind of consensus before I do too much...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing