Are There Cross-Cultural Preferences in Quality of Reproduced Sound?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Recently, we have begun testing cross-cultural sound quality preferences of music reproduced through different loudspeakers, equalizations, and automotive audio systems using American, Japanese and Chinese speaking listeners. While this work is still ongoing, the preliminary results do not show any evidence of cross-cultural preferences among the different groups. Accurate sound reproduction seems to be the common link across the preferences of the different cultures.

I think that Sean nails it on the head with this. I don't have comprehensive research on this, only anecdotal evidence having made presentations and demonstrations from the Middle East to China/Korea and Europe, but while there are preference for different recorded music, the system itself should be accurate. Then, when the system is accurate, the cross-cultural preferences can more easily manifest.

Should a system exhibit the same cross-cultural preference in the "sound" of the music, it is likely to become too much of a good thing. Nevertheless, as Bruce mentioned the different preference between him and Winston, I do believe that there are preferences in listeners.

I don't think that I am the only Chinese on this forum, but due to the tonal language that we grew up with, the requirement for accuracy for tone and pitch is very important. I get very irritated when for example a turntable is slightly slow or fast - whereas I've found that most people don't even hear the little wow and flutter that is going on.

Native speakers of tone languages (Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.) are much more likely to have perfect pitch than native speakers of non-tone languages.
http://www.aip.org/148th/deutsch.html

ps. I don't have perfect pitch. Not even close, but I can hear when a piano is out of tune, even slightly.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing