the Von Schweikert VR33s...

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
A loaner pair of VR33s were delivered this week. I am driving them with el cheapo electronics: an old Sony CD/SACD player, the NC555ES; a $250 Denon AVR which as I recall is about 40W per channel; low end Audioquest ICs; and Paul Speltz Anti Cable speaker wire. The 33s are a pair that was evaluated by one of the Positive Feedback reviewers but Albert said they likely are not fully broken in yet. I will be playing them in repeat mode whenever we are away to expedite the break in. I must say this diminutive system already sounds way better than it has a right to. After things get broken in, any of you within driving distance of Indy are welcome to stop by for a listen...first the VR33s then the VR5 Anniversaries. Stay tuned.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Last Friday, a friend of mine, a restauranteur and well regarded chef said that it's easy to make a meal fit for a king for $100 per person. The challenge he said is being able to do it for a dollar.

Albert's latest offerings have been no expense spared affairs when it comes to parts, construction and finishes. I'm very curious with what he's come up with with this value oriented speaker. Online buzz has been very strong but none of the posters has been anyone I know. That makes you the first Gavin. Let 'er rip and please hold nothing back.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I'll be as candid as I can be Jack. Steve, the pair sells for $3750...yep, you heard me.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I'll include pix.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Hi Cor,

Funny that you should ask. Two fellow circlers were here today for a 3 man rave...the VR33s driven by SAS amplification. The two who joined me were Bernie Sill and Steve Sammet, Steve the owner of SAS audio. He brought his 11A preamp and his 50WPU monoblocks both tube based. The VR33s really came alive with the upgraded amps. I had been driving them with a $250 Denon AVR which, by the way, sounded much better than it had a right to. But with the SAS electronics, it was at a different level. I will try and capture my thoughts as well as Bernie and Steve's and post in the next few days. The VR33 is one terrific speaker for the $$.

Gavin

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I hope you didn't let Steve escape before trying out the 11A on your main rig ;)

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Well actually it never came up. I'm pretty much hands off on the main 2ch system. Everything being within a mm or two of perfection, I've hung a "do not disturb" sign:cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing