dCS Users

What stack elements (besides the DAC) are ESSENTIAL to obtain the "magic" dCS sound?

• Total voters

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Let's forget for a moment how the DAC is fed, whether through CD transport, USB-SPDIF converter, or build in USB (in case of Vivaldi).

Which components are essential to attain the full performance envelope of dCS converters?

I would like to hear from people who are judging based on first hand listening experience. I am not interested to go into a technical theoretical discussion regarding external clocking/upsampling.

I would also appreciate, if you vote, if you could post which converter the impression is based on (Vivaldi/Scarlatti/Paganini/Puccini).

Last edited:

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
I have evaluated the question you have asked with Elgar, Paganini, and Scarlatti stacks. In my opinion, all have revealeed improvements with both the Clock and Upsampler when compared to the DAC driven directly from the source.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
And a quote from Chris Connaker over at computeraudiophile on his Pagannini review:

"I used the Paganini Upsampler in every conceivable configuration and with many different types of music. After tens of hours comparing all the Upsampling options I wound up preferring no Upsampling at all."

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I've ran a Puccini, a Puccini + Uclock, now a dCS Scarlatti Trans, DAC and Clock..clocks are crucial...especially for SACD...I can hear the better focus resolving power the clock brings even to direct tv video...even just watching a football game listening to the announcers...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just read the Martin Colloms review of the Vivaldi...they felt the clock was absolutely mission critical for SACD but not so much for 16/44. FWIW.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Just read the Martin Colloms review of the Vivaldi...they felt the clock was absolutely mission critical for SACD but not so much for 16/44. FWIW.

Hi where the M Colloms dCS Vivaldi review? I'd like to read it...Thanks !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi where the M Colloms dCS Vivaldi review? I'd like to read it...Thanks !

Go to the DCS website, and it is there under reviews...you can get the link straightaway. There are two reviewers in the pdf...Martin Colloms provides the 2nd opinion. Enjoy!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Maybe I'm missing something browsing on my iPad, but the only reviews I was ale to find on dcs site are here:

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/page/news

and there is no Martin Colloms' Vivaldi review :confused:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry...my fault...it was the Martin Colloms Scarlatti review...apologies to all.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Sorry...my fault...it was the Martin Colloms Scarlatti review...apologies to all.

It's ok...no need to apologize, a few of us are just anxious to read about the differences with the Vivaldi vs the other dCS set ups...

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
i found that addinig /using the clock in both my now sold esoteric p-01/d-01 stack, and my preently used vivaldi stack is essential both for sacd and red book. consider it the "focus' in a camera, if you wil.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
i found that addinig /using the clock in both my now sold esoteric p-01/d-01 stack, and my preently used vivaldi stack is essential both for sacd and red book. consider it the "focus' in a camera, if you wil.

Hi Ozy, didn't realize you got a Vivaldi stack! Congratulations !! I have the dCS Scarlatti Clock, Trans, DAC, am very much considering the Vivaldi DAC, not sure I can swing the other pieces. Right now I listen to 100% transport for music...for Video sources I use the DAC for Apple TV movies and DirectTv Sat...

Your analogy to a camera's focus is right on...

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
hi jfrech,added the vivaldi a couple of weeks ago. having had the elgar plus/verdi combo few years past, i can attest that dcs has really pushed the digital playback envelope further.it sounds more like master tapes then cds or even sacds.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Did you try the USB input in the DAC ?

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
No,thus far it has been a disc spinner only. i'm looking ofr the right paltform of computer/music server platform as an add on.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi ozy...did you get the whole stack or a few pieces? What digital cables did you choose? (both clock and aes/ebu)

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
jfrech, i got the whole 4-piece stack.
i'm using an all siltech G7 loom- golden eagle for the aes/ebu, and golden ridge for the bnc /clocking.

Custodian

May 26, 2013
I use a Scarlatti upsampler, DAC and clock for my music stored on the Aurender. Siltech signature USB to clock.

This week I got a very good rubidium clock designed for optimum short term stability and low phase noise. Major improvement in imagery and detail.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing