Greyhawk

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Is anyone else in the world using a Greyhawk or am I alone in this?

I at least find it plenty bright at 92" and still provides great blacks.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Is anyone else in the world using a Greyhawk or am I alone in this?

I at least find it plenty bright at 92" and still provides great blacks.
It works for you Les. That's all that matters.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
I agree with that. A big reason I continue to use it even though my current Anthem LTX-500 (JVC clone of I forget which model) does black really well on its own. Aided by the Greyhawk the black is very close to that of a CRT. It's easily bright enough in this size and no trouble dialing the colors in nor do I see an evidence of it altering the grey scale.

Mostly I was wondering if anyone else shared this view. Curiosity I guess.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Same idea as the Firehawk, getting better blacks from chip projectors (LCD, LCOS etc) if I remember the Firehawk correctly but with less gain. Something on the order of 0.9 vs 1.3 for the Firehawk. I believe it was Stewart's first gray screen. Did wonders for the Sony 10HT I had at the time. At the size I'm using it's certainly bright enough and has about a 2x wider viewing angle to half brightness than the Firehawk.

Can't say it would work as well in much larger sizes without a really bright PJ and room lighting has a bigger impact than the higher gain screens.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing