Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

Jackelsson, beautiful set up! How did TW react to the suspension? We got some inquiries re this table.

Thank you,
    Jarek

Quote Originally Posted by jackelsson View Post
    Haven't there been slight objections against this model as well...?

TW-Acustic Raven AC with BN mods (motor, mat, feet) on DIY air suspension platform.
    Origin Live Enterprise C 12" w/ Ortofon MC Anna; TW-Acustic 10.5 w/ Benz LP-S MR; SME 312s w/ vdH Colibri XGW Custom; TW-Acustic 10.5 w/ Lyra Titan i
    Jarek Korbicz
    STACORE
    Manufacturer of Advanced
    Anti-vibration Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by analog brother View Post
    mmmmmmmm love the stabi m.
    your cat is beautiful too. does she sleep on the lid?
    She does! But I have a cover that I put on when I am not playing and that is the only time she is allowed to sleep on the lid. She does respect that though and mostly listens with me or listens on the floor

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    So why don't these cats chase the platter while it is rotating?
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

because she respects the kuzma!
    she knows not to mess with kuzma.
    like all good dj's, cats only abuse technics tt's.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Lol
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

in a way it's true! She used to watch and sometimes engage with Rega p7 (the lid protected it). The reason was its platter. The bottom of the p7 platter has many ceramic pucks and when it rotates it looked inviting for my cats. However, when Kuzma is on, you see no moving parts. The platter doesn't look like its rotating. The only thing to see is the label in the middle of the record rotating but then there is the clamp on it. So just the arm moving slowly towards centre, not interesting enough for the cats...

Quote Originally Posted by Stacore View Post
    Jackelsson, beautiful set up! How did TW react to the suspension? We got some inquiries re this table.

Thank you,
    Jarek
    Hi Jarek, thanks for the kind words.

Actually the improvement coming from the air suspension was quite considerable. An unsuspended turntable in my experience does gain quite a bit from insulation from external vibrations. And for the TW specifially it brought quite some improvement in regard to imaging, soundstaging and general naturalness and detail of the sound. I can only recommend to experiment a bit with whatever kind of insulation is available.

In my case I followed advice from extensive discussions in the German analog-forum.de where DIY air suspension has been quite a topic some years ago. In the picture below - some 3,5 years old - you can see the RRG pneumatic isolators that I chose for my installation. I chose them over the similar American Fabreeka isolators simply for reasons of availability over here, technically there should be no difference.

Ideally the load for 4 of these air springs should be >120kg to achieve a resonance frequency well below 5 Hz, unfortunately I can only manage around 80kg currently. So the resonance frequency is higher than ideal. Still the effect was quite amazing even with this load.

I can't wait to finally get the BN platter because it will not only add quite a bit of rotational torque but also add roughly 10kg to the loading of the air suspension.

Name:  _MG_6128_RRG-Luftfedern_05.2014.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  169.6 KB
    Last edited by jackelsson; 11-06-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Yes, I believe there has been superb set up there, never been game myself to set up all 4 arm pods.
    Thanks.
    Actually the possibility to set up four arms was the main reason to get interested in the TW in the first place. That I liked the looks did also help quite a bit. And that it later turned out to be quite a considerable improvement sound wise over my former Transrotor Fat Bob S was a nice surprise on top.

All four tonearm-cartridge setups are voiced differently and I really like the luxury of being able to chose a certain sound depending on the music, the voicing of the recording, and my mood on a given day by simply switching the input on my two Pass XP-25.

VPI Prime Signature with an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge.

Name:  VPI-PS.JPG
Views: 549
Size:  116.8 KB
    DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Audeze LCD-XC headphones

Hi Jackelsson,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, the pneumatics like a lot of load. Maybe try to add a steel or brass plate too on top of the insulators?

Cheers,
    Jarek

Quote Originally Posted by jackelsson View Post
    Hi Jarek, thanks for the kind words.

Actually the improvement coming from the air suspension was quite considerable. An unsuspended turntable in my experience does gain quite a bit from insulation from external vibrations. And for the TW specifially it brought quite some improvement in regard to imaging, soundstaging and general naturalness and detail of the sound. I can only recommend to experiment a bit with whatever kind of insulation is available.

In my case I followed advice from extensive discussions in the German analog-forum.de where DIY air suspension has been quite a topic some years ago. In the picture below - some 3,5 years old - you can see the RRG pneumatic isolators that I chose for my installation. I chose them over the similar American Fabreeka isolators simply for reasons of availability over here, technically there should be no difference.

Ideally the load for 4 of these air springs should be >120kg to achieve a resonance frequency well below 5 Hz, unfortunately I can only manage around 80kg currently. So the resonance frequency is higher than ideal. Still the effect was quite amazing even with this load.

I can't wait to finally get the BN platter because it will not only add quite a bit of rotational torque but also add roughly 10kg to the loading of the air suspension.

Name:  _MG_6128_RRG-Luftfedern_05.2014.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  169.6 KB
    Jarek Korbicz
    STACORE
    Manufacturer of Advanced
    Anti-vibration Solutions

Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast