[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Thanks Carol. I'm a big fan of Kickstarter!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Very cool stuff. I've funded projects for Skerik, Zony Mash the Winterpills and a jazz flamenco piano player from my hometown of Kansas City...

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
It is very tough these days, despite the incredible amount of talent out there. The music business model has changed drastically in the last decade, as everybody knows- no more big advances (or any, for that matter), very difficult to get signed by a major label, most majors are not making the money they did 10 or 20 years ago, which helped spread the risk. (Say what you will about the 'old' model but having substantial revenue from record or disc sales enabled the companies to fund new bands- they rarely do these days). And, to some degree, the change in what 'recording' consists of- Protools in someone's house isn't the same as a big professional studio with first rate producer/engineers.
It's laudable that you are helping out musicians looking for help. Right now, the best avenue is songwriting, I think, not performing. But, that's even tougher in some respects. As I have transitioned from from full-time lawyer who devoted a considerable amount of my practice to the music publishing business, and related entertainment biz work, to acting as an entrepreneur and fledgling creative/business person, I know how tough it is. There's a huge amount of talent out there that deserves to be heard.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
It is very tough these days, despite the incredible amount of talent out there. The music business model has changed drastically in the last decade, as everybody knows- no more big advances (or any, for that matter), very difficult to get signed by a major label, most majors are not making the money they did 10 or 20 years ago, which helped spread the risk. (Say what you will about the 'old' model but having substantial revenue from record or disc sales enabled the companies to fund new bands- they rarely do these days). And, to some degree, the change in what 'recording' consists of- Protools in someone's house isn't the same as a big professional studio with first rate producer/engineers.
It's laudable that you are helping out musicians looking for help. Right now, the best avenue is songwriting, I think, not performing. But, that's even tougher in some respects. As I have transitioned from from full-time lawyer who devoted a considerable amount of my practice to the music publishing business, and related entertainment biz work, to acting as an entrepreneur and fledgling creative/business person, I know how tough it is. There's a huge amount of talent out there that deserves to be heard.

Prior to a concert a couple of years ago, I got to chat with John Wozniak who is the lead singer and songwriter for Marcy Playground. He said that the band had trouble finding time to write and record new material because their label kept them constantly touring because it was the only way they made money. Pretty sad.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Prior to a concert a couple of years ago, I got to chat with John Wozniak who is the lead singer and songwriter for Marcy Playground. He said that the band had trouble finding time to write and record new material because their label kept them constantly touring because it was the only way they made money. Pretty sad.
It's actually pretty depressing how little most of these folks make. And, as anybody here who has done it themselves can tell you, it certainly isn't glamorous.
It's a good reason to get out to the clubs or local venues too. Hell, even if I wind up not liking the band, I can leave. Usually, the covers aren't too much, and while I don't really play CDs, we usually wind up with a pile of them after the show as a way to support them. (Of course, I'm always urging them to release on vinyl :)).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing