How bad is this room response?

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Why unfortunately?

I have a friend who owns Sasha's with an all ARC system and they sound great. The 2-4 kHz dip is intentional and is part of their voicing. Dave Wilson wants them to sound this way :) See the spatial average (A64) in Martin Colloms room taken from the Hifi-Critic review - it will describe what you listen in a real room.
Even rivals such as Magico have a similar voicing in some speakers.

IMHO, if you do not like them, you should get some other speakers. Anyway you should compensate for the bass deficiencies - this will not change the character of the Sasha and will change your perception of the whole speaker.

Just one different opinion ...

These two labs measurements are interesting. To me the 6dB dip at 2kHz on the Sasha is not voicing... it is poor drivers integration. if it would be voicing, what you would see is typically more of a mild saddle, not a nasty dip.

You cannot compare the Sasha and the Q1 curve: the Sasha is a 3 ways, the Q1 is a 2 ways. On a 2 ways like the Q1, you are asking a 7" driver to go deep in the bass and also to go into high mids. This imposes constraints on voicing.... but even with these design constraints the Q1 axial response is within +-1.5dB across the range, which is a fantastic response. On the opposite, your curve for the Sasha shows a +-4.5dB on axial response. This if for me puzzling... not impressed by the design!

I don't believe that EQ on the sasha will help for this 2k dip. It helps in the bass, but I have never been convinced on using it in the medium.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
+1 on getting rid of smoothing. My graphs use 1/12-octave because that is the min I can get away with whilst doing some other processing (the next step is raw, which does not allow me to easily compare levels and such in my measurement program). . . .

1/12 octave smoothing makes sense to me because 1/12 octave is one note in the chromatic scale.

Do we need more resolution than one note? This is not a rhetorical question. I really want to know.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
We can certainly resolve much lower than one note when listening to a chord, but I think it is plenty for room EQ. I like to use lots of resolution to help distinguish narrow notches (nulls) and "spikes" (peaks) from broader peaks and valleys. My main analysis program skips from 1/12 to raw which I find has just too many squiggles to be useful.

I have read 1/10 to 1/24 octave is more than sufficient in the bass, and wider (coarser) from the midrange up.

Before the world of DSP anything finer than 1/3-octave EQ was fairly rare (and fairly noisy, at least for the big studio beasts I used that had finer filters).

I think Amir or Ethan posted info about how wide a filter makes sense at various frequencies but I don't recall the results off-hand.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have a friend with WP7's. In a very tough room that he put about 2 dozen ASC tube traps at various locations....ASC helped him design the right spots....Then he bought a Rives Audio PARC. Holy smokes does that help his system sound a LOT better. Worth a consideration...he's over on A'gon...system is "simple quality" id is "lenny zwik"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing