Turntable Isolation

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
acrylic zing of the GPAs

what 'acrylic zing' in the GPA would that be?

there is no acrylic in my GPA racks; there is carbon fibre, however. are you specifically saying that 'all' GPA racks sound that way to you? the entry level shelves of the GPA racks are acrylic, btw. the Formula shelves are carbon fibre.

having owned a Basis 2500 tt (which was a fine tt even if mostly acrylic) i am familiar with the tonal shift inherent in acrylic. not sure i'd call it a 'zing'; but it's not stricktly musical to my ears, either.

to me acrylic is a cost effective material which has a good cost value relationship and at lower price points is a good material choice; sorta like digital amps for full range. beyond a certain level it does limit performance.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes Mike, I was referring to the GPAs with Acrylic shelves. I have not used the carbon fiber versions. That tonal shift is the zing I mean. It's a tilt that gets more pronounced as the room gets more pressurized. The weight specified rubber fitting drains out the ring but what's left is to my ears a zing. That zing was present as well on my HRX white platter and my Clearaudio turntable in the past. Also present in all my flexi-racks when I was starting down the isolation path. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Nice link, those Craz racks are understated and very sweet looking.

I know you as an architect (if my father was any indication) would appreciate how these stands are built. The SRA stands are constructed like fine pieces of furniture (joints like that are rarely seen in furniture today) using real solid pieces of wood that are cut to shape and then modified for optimal vibration isolation.

MikeDuke

Jul 5, 2010
Eastern PA
I have the GPA Monaco rack for my system. The Monaco holds my Amadeus GTA, my Halo C2 preamp, my Bryston 4b-ST and my Bryston 5b-ST. No extra movement at all. I have fallen in my room, bad ballance don't ask, while a records was playing and it did not skip at all.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I rely primarily on the isolation/design of my Adona Signature Rack system for my turntable isolation (in addition to the standard footers for my Teres Certus 450 turntable). The racks themselves have isolation for each shelf which can support approximately 300 pounds per shelf. The Adona platforms themselves are a sandwich of 5/8" thick granite with a special adhesive that bonds to the soft MDF material making up the lower portion of the platform. The proper thicknesses of the granite and MDF with the special adhesive results in a neutral sonic signature.

Here is a photo showing the turntable on the rack:

Additionally, and is visible in the above photo the Teres Certus Control box is sitting on top of 3 Marigo Mystery feet. Finally, and much to Chris Brady's surprise (we found that the Herbies Grunge Buster dots did slightly improve the performance of the turntable), we have placed Herbies Audio Grunge Buster dots (with adhesive) underneath the 3 Teres Certus 450 standard feet.

Rich

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
My plebian, but effective, solution was a set of of springs robbed from an old box spring set. I eventually made a wooden "box" (open at top and bottom) to hide them, but they worked great! I did tweak the spring rate a bit by tweaking their length, and added a little more dampening with foam inserts in the coils (not sure they really did anything, but it seemed like the thing to do at the time). I was (and still am) one of those strange creatures that actually measures things, and I was able to verify the reduction in noise, rumble, and HD/IMD using test tracks and various test gear.

My boss at the time (owner of a high-end audio store) really hated that the measurements also showed it outperformed the alternatives he was selling...

FWIWFM - Don

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Townsend Seismic Sink under my LP12. I don't know why this isn't more common as it brings the table into a different league. The lads at Linn know this, BUT for some reason don't push it at all, I guess maybe because they are trying to sell their Trampolin, which does nothing compared to the Sink.

Last edited:

rhopkins

Apr 28, 2010
I'm using Silent Running Audio, Ohio Class isolation bases on a Silent Running Audio CRAZ isoRACK plus. The Ohio bases take care of the HF vibrations and the CRAZ takes care of the LF vibrations.

I've had three of the CRAZ racks at various times and have used the Ohio bases under almost everything. No detectible vibrations coming through anywhere.

Solid, flawless construction built to outlast everyone. Zero issues or complaints. Simply perfect.

CRAZ..jpg

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
My main isolation device is my Target Pro rack itself, then I have a set of copper cones at each main pilar from my Avid table that includes on its design a quite sophisticated spring/mass confuguration. Usual tests such as taping on the table support pass with easy.

I tried a wooden base from Blinderman following a friend advice but I got a muffy reverb at bass registers, not a base problem but the intrinsic beahaviour of wood I guess.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
If you check out TW Acustic , you will notice that Thomas used 1" slate as his platform to put his Raven AC 3 turntable. I tried 2pieces of 1 " slate , supported by nordost titanium cone at 4 corners. It definitely make the turntable sounds quieter . Try it. I think you will like it. Slate is reasonably cheap.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm using Silent Running Audio, Ohio Class isolation bases on a Silent Running Audio CRAZ isoRACK plus. The Ohio bases take care of the HF vibrations and the CRAZ takes care of the LF vibrations.

I've had three of the CRAZ racks at various times and have used the Ohio bases under almost everything. No detectible vibrations coming through anywhere.

Solid, flawless construction built to outlast everyone. Zero issues or complaints. Simply perfect.

View attachment 1179

Is that an optical illusion or is your ceilling really that low?

mmakshak

May 1, 2011
S.F. Bay Area
I currently use a Mana Reference table under my trampolin-less lp12. I will eventually go to stage 2 of Mana, but I think people would be suprised at how good Mapleshade's 2-inch maple with their rubber/cork/rubber footers sounds.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I currently use a Mana Reference table under my trampolin-less lp12. I will eventually go to stage 2 of Mana, but I think people would be suprised at how good Mapleshade's 2-inch maple with their rubber/cork/rubber footers sounds.

Or how about this for less than $25:

Butcher Block
Hockey Pucks (4)
Furniture Felt Pads (8)

009..JPG
010..JPG

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John

Good to see you back in this neck of the woods

It's good to be back. I've missed you guys!

John-you need to flip those hockey pucks so the writing is right side up. Otherwise, it will invert your sound.

LOL. Yeah, I noticed that as well! It has however been recified!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
That Ikea butcher's block is probably the best value in hifi! I have so many that I've lost count. One thing you may like to try is to use just 3 pucks - one directly under the motor, one near the front, and the other on the side under the arm. Just an idea - because asymmetric loading will throw out more resonances. If the pucks make a triangle, try to make the three sides of the triangle different lengths.

Reactions: AudioHR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing