Somebody Tell Me I'm Wrong

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area

I've just received the latest copy's of The Absolute Sound to include their 2013 High-End-Audio Buyers Guide. I can tell you initially I was overjoyed because I thought surely there would be mention and listings of reel to reel tape decks as well as mention of sources for the purchase of reel to reel tapes. I mean, come on now, there has been a real resurgence of tape recorders and tapes over the past year or am I mistaken? Maybe someone here can shed some light on why this very popular audio mag has not leaned forward and reviewed what's available. Let's see what happens when that other audio mag publishes its "buyers guide". I am seriously considering stopping subscription to both mags.

jazzbo :(

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Perhaps someone should start a rag called "The Analog(ue) Sound".;)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Actually the only manufacturer that still makes new decks is Otari.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
$12k deck can beat a lot of hi end vinyl of more than $20k but not too many source of tape for listening !

Vinyl has see huge growth in the last few years. What do you think the cards are for tape?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I think tape will become more mainstream as well. You can get some great tape machines for as little as $1-2k. It would take the equivalent turntable of at least $15k to match it in sonics.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think tape will become more mainstream as well. You can get some great tape machines for as little as $1-2k. It would take the equivalent turntable of at least $15k to match it in sonics.

That's a pretty bold statement, no? I've heard those "it sounds like a system worth twice or 5 times as much" before. How does one find any truth to those claims?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I own a minty "Stock" MX5050 BII". While they operate and sound pretty good, in no way do they approach the sound of a Technics (for example) with the repro head wired out to an external tape pre. $12,000 spent in another direction is a far better idea. In fact the stock Studer A810 sounds better. It has a more robust bass pefromance and superior tape handling.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
That's a pretty bold statement, no? I've heard those "it sounds like a system worth twice or 5 times as much" before. How does one find any truth to those claims?

All you need to do is listen! I have a machine that I've put about $10k in and it sounds better than any turntable I've heard.

I've heard a $2k tape machine, with a good source that can better a properly set up $15k tt.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
All you need to do is listen! I have a machine that I've put about $10k in and it sounds better than any turntable I've heard.

I've heard a $2k tape machine, with a good source that can better a properly set up $15k tt.

I'll have that chance this coming weekend as I go over to Tony's place for a vinyl and tape session. :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Keep us posted!

I hope to take some pics as well. After that Tony and I are going over to listen to some master tapes at where the ultraanalogrecordings were done. I'm super pumped about this!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing