Mark Levinson No 53 - Any recent experiences??

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I needed to make a quick trip up to Phoenix this morning and took the opportunity to stop by my dealer's place and pickup the 53s. Based on the exterior of the amps and their overall heft I'd say that build quality is top notch!

The car is sagging a bit, though :)

Once I get them hooked up and have some time with them I'll post some impressions.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm surprised Amir hasn't said anything.
I was under the impression that he had read what I had to say and didn't want to hear from me anymore :).

Just in case he does, the best way I can explain the 53 is that it is the first amp I have heard that seems to have no power limit. A little story :). When I first got into boating, I was really concerned about safety. The waters here are very cold and even in summer you can hypothermia and die in just a few minutes! So I would ask every salesman how safe the boat was. I finally got to this boat that I eventually bought and asked the salesman the same question. His answer was, "you will get scared from the waves before the boat does!" And boy was he right. Same with the 53. I have turned it up until it felt like the whole building was going to collapse on top of me but there was zero change in its character. Other powerful amps, including its $20,000 reference ML amp, would give up and cry uncle. Not this one.

I think the explanation is rather simple. In US we have anemic power in our sockets with 110 volts. There just is not enough juice there to fully satisfy the dynamics at the extreme. The 53 is much more efficient than class AB so it is able to put out more power given the same input. The power supply caps fill faster and there is less tendency for distortion to creep in (and or the protection circuit to kick in).

As you may have noted, my evaluation of amps is rather objective :). So I can't convey anything about other qualities. I look to them to do what I ask them which is keep getting louder as I turn the volume :D.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Quite a scathing review of the 53 by M Fremer in this months Stereophile. JA agreed with Fremer.

Hmmm

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Quite a scathing review of the 53 by M Fremer in this months Stereophile. JA agreed with Fremer.

Tight, extended bass and one hour listening time before the fatigue headache sets in...that is what I got from the review. $50k for a switching non linear Class D amp ? No thanks. The Mark Levinson of today under Harmon is a far cry from Levinson/Madrigal labs of yesteryear. I still have a 27.5, 36 and 380s sitting on the sidelines for use someday in a second home..

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The 10kHz square wave looked worse than some tube amps I have seen. This month's SP saw a few pieces under review not getting good reviews and the ML No.53 was certainly one of them.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The 10kHz square wave looked worse than some tube amps I have seen. This month's SP saw a few pieces under review not getting good reviews and the ML No.53 was certainly one of them.

And the Anthem was even worse than that!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
And the Anthem was even worse than that!

Bruce-You are right, and they trashed that piece as well. For those that love to rank on SP and TAS and say every review is a rave or love affair, read the current issue of SP.

ths61

Oct 18, 2012
USA
Hmmm

There are a couple of pairs of 53's on Agon for less than half price.

Wonder if this is due in part by the Stereophile review ???

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There are a couple of pairs of 53's on Agon for less than half price.

Wonder if this is due in part by the Stereophile review ???

That certainly would be a perversion of the review process. .

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
-- I am still reading Michael Fremer's review on page 119 from this month's issue of Stereophile.

* The key word here: Long-term listening ...
Is it? I ask you to compare two versions of vanilla ice cream. Are you better off comparing them side by side, or having one, then keep eating the other for three months? I don't know about you, but I forget what I typed two seconds ago let alone remember how something very similar to the current specimen sounded like eons ago :).

You may be right. Question is, how do we know that relative to it being an excuse to dismiss results that contradict it? When is it an excuse to accept new data vs a factor by itself? And how do we prove the answer is right? I know how to do it in the case of it being an excuse. Don't know how to do the other.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing