Off center spindle holes. Why is this still a problem?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
You would think in the 21st century this would be a problem of the past.

If they can make a self centering TT such as the Nakamichi Dragon why can't they make a similar machine to drill the spindle holes?

Sean

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

If they can make a self centering TT such as the Nakamichi Dragon why can't they make a similar machine to drill the spindle holes?

Sean

Mel Brooks was once quoted as saying the hardest thing about the movie business was punching all those little holes in the film.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
If I knew how the Nakamichi TT worked I might try to build a machine that could drill the hole in the right place.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If I knew how the Nakamichi TT worked I might try to build a machine that could drill the hole in the right place.

I can't give you the specifics, but the Nakamichi turntable had a second arm, that once in the lead out groove, computed the center of disk rotation and centered the platter around it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRFpd0ahvj4

Off center holes are a greater source of wow and flutter than the motor.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

I can't give you the specifics, but the Nakamichi turntable had a second arm, that once in the lead out groove, computed the center of disk rotation and centered the platter around it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRFpd0ahvj4

Off center holes are a greater source of wow and flutter than the motor.

That is the hard part. I'm sure a few people would buy one if they were relatively cheap.

I have been temped to use a file on some records but its such a hassel and imprecise to boot.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Sean

Great question!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Another question is if the spindle hole is correct for one side will it also be for the other?

Not necessarily :( If the A side and B side stampers aren't perfectly aligned..........

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing