Pink Floyd DSOTM Harvest USA first pressing, mint

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I also second your advise of Japanese "Pro Use" version. IMHO sound quality is better than the latter UK versions. My copy was played many times and the surfaces are still noiseless.

I just checked mine. It is Catalog Number: EMS-80324 Japanese EMI, with similar logos and obi. But some of the japanese pressings I have actually say 'toshiba' on the obi strip, this one doesn't. (I didn't look at the label on the disc itself, obviously I can check that).
PS> looking at an internet resource, mine appears to be a third issue, the 'pro use' is the fourth issue, both are toshiba though. I assume the 'pro use' sounds different?

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I just checked mine. It is Catalog Number: EMS-80324 Japanese EMI, with similar logos and obi. But some of the japanese pressings I have actually say 'toshiba' on the obi strip, this one doesn't. (I didn't look at the label on the disc itself, obviously I can check that).
PS> looking at an internet resource, mine appears to be a third issue, the 'pro use' is the fourth issue, both are toshiba though. I assume the 'pro use' sounds different?

In my very limited experience with Japanese PF LPs, the Toshiba versions were clearly marked "Toshiba". It's Sony versions that are not clearly marked.

tb1

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My pro use version is catalog EMLF-97002. No mention of Toshiba...not sure why I said that.

Mine is the same. Just checked and "Mfd. by Toshiba-EMI Ltd. in Japan" is written in very small red letters in the record label.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
And fwiw, i just checked the label on mine, which is shown in that discography as a third issue. The label indicates that it was manufactured by Toshiba in Japan.
My old MFSL also shows on the label that it was pressed in Japan, but i didn't see an indication of which company pressed it. (JVC?)?
I listened to the japanese obi copy a month or two ago, my recollection was it was a little bright. I haven't listened to the MF copy for a long time. I may have a few other copies of this record, I'll have to dig, though.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Mine is the same. Just checked and "Mfd. by Toshiba-EMI Ltd. in Japan" is written in very small red letters in the record label.

cool, I guess I need stronger magnifiers...one thing for sure, as you age, all sorts of different magnification options are required to ensure optimal setup. I'm 50 and need my 1.75's mags just to cue down accurately on the lead in groove.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
So, help me out if any of you know- the 'pro use' pressing (which according to that discography link i posted was the fourth issue from japan emi-toshiba) is sometimes described as a 1/2 speed master. Mine is the third issue, and is not labelled 'pro use.' Does that mean mine is not a 1/2 speed master? Is that what the 'pro use' moniker denotes?

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Maybe a job for the "glue gun" method.

LOL, I'm open to suggestion ... but ... well ... perhaps on another LP.

Actually, I revisited my British Harvest DSOTM 16/44 recording, and it sounds MUCH quieter than I perhaps communicated. The thing is, my analog system is very much a low noise device ... so my expectations for "quiet" ...

That said, I know that it can be cleaned further (apparently my stylus seems to think the same on every play), therefore I understand it has the potentially to sound a little less grainy.

Actually, I made 16/44 copies of all my DSOTM LPs available on another audio forum ... but I've since removed 'em.

tb1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing